Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CoconutPete drops the rear subframe

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    How hard did you look?
    https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-Z3-M_C...h/52108410323/
    https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-Z3-M_C...h/52108410324/

Still, tough to drop $350-$700 on new foam when a shop can just rebuild it cheaper.
    Whoa! I could not find these back when I was looking. Really I'd probably just be needing the bottom foam on the drivers side. Of course on top of that I'd need to pay for custom re-covering. What are you forking over for that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lelandr View Post
    Sorry I'm late to comment. If you're talking about the drive shaft to diff flange, I used a crow's foot very successfully.

Sent from my TA-1052 using Tapatalk
    For now I just tightened them until my lips turned purple, but you're totally right about the crows foot. I'm going to pick up a set this weekend.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Are they replicating the foam for you? Like a custom job?
    I have a friend who's lived in this area since birth. He restores all kind of things. Right now he's supercharging a Spitfire so he can bump horsepower from 50 to maybe 65-70. And, he has a friend, an old geezer with a warehouse full of foam who's been doing seats for his whole life. And, yes, he does a custom job. In some respects, it's good to live in the heartland as there are guys like that still around although they're a dying breed. Similarly, the franchises and most local companies quoted $700 per window to do my house. I found a 75 year old workhorse happy to do it for $350/window. But that foam S8ilver is an attractive option and I'll talk to the upholster about it. Or, with new foam and seat covers, maybe I could do the job myself.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    In the past some of the guys on the fourm have talked about professional upholsters using steam to rejuvenize foam. They say the steam brings it back to original form.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
    Whoa! I could not find these back when I was looking. Really I'd probably just be needing the bottom foam on the drivers side. Of course on top of that I'd need to pay for custom re-covering. What are you forking over for that?
    I'm undecided what my plan is here. My DS bottom foam is pretty worn and flattened on outer edge at 163k miles. I try not to sit to put more stress on it as it's worn through to the bar, but the leather hasn't split yet and I don't care enough yet. The idea of taking my seat apart myself to replace the foam doesn't sound appealing to me at all. I do have a pair of M seats in the basement, but they're Imola. I'll figure something out in the spring. Or not.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Well, there was a quick break in the weather today, so I got to take her out for just a few minutes. Honestly, I was driving around thinking "yeah, she feels pretty crisp, but not a world of difference".

Then I had to take a quick left from a stop sign into a lot of traffic.

WHOA! THAT'S where you feel it! The sharp turns. The "wiggle" is gone!

I'm going to re-torque some stuff and hopefully get a longer ride in this weekend.

Indiana: I have also seen the "puff the foam back up with steam" videos and tried it with mixed success when I had my seat cover off.

I took the seat cover off the drivers side to put a new seatbelt guide on and to solder the wire for the heated seat. I was thinking that putting it back on would be easy. Instead I have a whole new appreciation for automotive upholstery...

I may just take the "easy" way out and put the passenger side up in the storage loft I just built and pick up another R100 for the passenger side, but I do want to do something with the stock seats at some point...

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Your response is common from others, including myself, when all of those bits are replaced. I also re-torqued everything after some miles, just to be sure. To take it to another level, I also put anti-tamper (white nail polish) marks on all of the nuts and bolts. A side-effect my my aircraft days, those anti-tamper marks make for a quick inspection
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    z3
    I mark all the bolts I touch with paint pen when reinstalled. That way I know at a quick glance if anything has come loose, re-torqueing should not be necessary if torqued to the correct specs the first time

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I mark all the bolts I touch with paint pen when reinstalled. That way I know at a quick glance if anything has come loose, re-torqueing should not be necessary if torqued to the correct specs the first time
    Memory issues, old age...I re-torqued just in case
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Two of the allen bolts on the subframe brackets lined up perfectly with the white marks once I snugged them down. I actually let out an "oh yeah!" from underneath the car.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234