Thread: Sprucing Up F25 X3 Start button

My Cars
    2011 bmw x3

Sprucing Up F25 X3 Start button

Good day and Happy New year to you all,

I am trying to clean up the interior of my 2011 BMW X3 and one easy mod I thought I'd tackle was the jacked up start button and the rubber/paint on it was coming off. My model is the non-auto start version (if that makes sense/it does not auto-off to conserve fuel). I bought a new button online for my car, thinking it would be a slam dunk easy swap. The problem is the "notches" on the button which keep it in place are rotated 90 degrees clockwise. I see newer versions of the X3 (and other bmw series) with the start button module situated vertically while mine is horizontal, so when I install my button the words are vertical and look kind of stupid. The problem goes further, as I look more and more I do not see a single option for a new x3 f25 start button in my configuration. Could you please help me source the correct part for my vehicle so I cant properly update my start button? Any advice?, besides buy a whole new car and or module haha

Thank you for the help.

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    2011 bmw x3
    That's the one I bought that didn't orient properly!!! The problem with the button listed is that it has the square hole on the bottom left corner of the button vs the original button has a square hole on the top left corner. So in order for the button to fit in the start button module properly it has to be rotated 90 degrees. So my new replacement button says "START" vertically, instead of horizontally so it looks stupid. I tried to disassemble the module thinking I would be able to rotate something within the assembly and make the button work, but it is molded entirely so there is nothing to rotate. Its so perplexing as I see so many of these cars in my neighborhood, so I cant be the only one! Also, suck because the seller lists the button as a replacement for the vehicle but it clearly is not!! Any other ideas?? Possibly another model which has a similar start button configuration?? I appreciate any and all help.

My Cars
    2011 bmw x3
    bump for help with a button!

My Cars
    2011 bmw x3
    Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulBMW View Post
    bump for help with a button!

Bump for fun!

My Cars
    2011 bmw x3
    Step right up step right up see the amazing bmw button one of a kind in the vertical position only

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Ask the seller if he has any sideways ones and explain the issue. Maybe they will start selling ones that fit yours.

My Cars
    2011 bmw x3
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    Ask the seller if he has any sideways ones and explain the issue. Maybe they will start selling ones that fit yours.
    Hmm, I guess I could. I didnt think it would be such a special request on a mass produced vehicle. But the button doesnt feel like its a simple screen printing so might not be such a simple fix. +1 for the idea tho. TY