Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Turbo Conversion - E36 M52 - Low Budget

My Cars
    E36 328i

First Turbo Conversion - E36 M52 - Low Budget

Hello everyone,

First of all I must say I am glad that I have found this forum full of experienced bmw enthusiasts. I have never done this before and also I have never owned a turbo car so this will be quite a challenge for me but I am willing to learn and I am super excited to start this built.

So why I have decided going turbo ?

I am competing in local drift challenge for last 2 years and 142kW is just not enough these days. I have been thinking about swap possibilities (M60, M54B30,... and other bolt ons) but in the end I realized that this project could be a great experience (or nightmare, as I read some of yours build threads ) and I always wanted a turbo.

I will be aiming somewhere around 8 psi, and I will be happy with 300whp+. I am limited with stock HG and stock studs.

I have spent pretty much all holidays reading and learning about these conversion and I have ordered first parts.

Plan is:

M52B28 - Stock everything. (Even intake manifold, because M50 manifolds are pretty unavailable or overpriced, I am now just trying to google if this manifold can handle some boost, as I have not found many builds with it)

Fuel - E85

Turbocharger - Trying my luck with ebay GT35, ordered this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254797279196

Ebay cast - manifold turned upside down to be top mounted (I have ordered two T3 flanges extra just for welding pipe between turbo and manifold to place turbo where it suits my needs)

Injectors - Bosch 550cc from Mustang

Fuel pump - DW200 255lph, stock rail, stock FPR. Hope it will be enough.

Standalone ECU - KDFI 1.4 PnP (MS2), Ecumaster ? Do not know yet. But I prefer plug n play.

Budget is tight, and I need to finish this in 4 months, before start of new season.

Thank you in advance for the advice and tips, I am trying to keep budget low but also I want to do it properly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LukasGTi16v; 01-04-2021 at 12:31 PM.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    So in the end I decided to go with BOSCH 0280158117 injectors from Mustang V8. They are 52lb 550cc so I think they should be ok for my needs.

They are a little bit smaller in compare to stock ones so I need to go lower with the rail or to use adapters. I see that many of you are using adapters, I am just thinking about lowering the rail closer to the manifold. As I was looking at it from every angle, there should not be a problem with this mod. Anyone have a experience with this ? Also I assume that the rail is made from some stainless steel so It should be weldable.

Last edited by LukasGTi16v; 01-04-2021 at 03:15 PM.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    According to DW calculator, I think I have my fuel system pretty much sorted out. Now I am just waiting for parts to arrive.

DW 200 In Tank 255lhp Fuel Pump E85 Compatible
    550cc Bosch injectors
    Stock fpr, rail, and lines
    Or course new fuel filter

Last edited by LukasGTi16v; 01-04-2021 at 03:18 PM.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    Now for the intake manifold. Can somebody confirm me that M52 manifold will work ? Or it will total bottleneck ? As I wrote before, in my country there M50 intakes are like unicorns, and they are very hard to find.

So plan is on picture below:

pic hosting

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3
    While I don't remember exactly which holes I sealed up, I did have a turbo s52 on that same intake manifold. No issues with it, it was fast at 10 psi. You can look up my past build thread and may find something in there.

My Cars
    99' 323is, 99' 328is
    The M52 intake will work just fine, the m50 flows better is all.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by DSTX17 View Post
    While I don't remember exactly which holes I sealed up, I did have a turbo s52 on that same intake manifold. No issues with it, it was fast at 10 psi. You can look up my past build thread and may find something in there.
    Thank you for confirmation! I am happy to hear that.

Turbo finally arrived...

Also some test chart with it. Maybe from this exact turbocharger ? Do not know..

Also some fittings and teflon 4AN braided line. Those fittings definitely looks ebay af, I am little bit worried, especially when they should be used for oil feed line.
    I am planning to make a hole to vanos bolt, and weld this steel bung on it, and then run those fitting straight to turbocharger.
    Also, I wonder which size of restrictor to use, if any... Any ideas ?

upload img
    Last edited by LukasGTi16v; 01-05-2021 at 02:46 PM.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    I was resealing filter housing today, and I found out that the lower alternator bolt was missing, and it probably caused this crack.

25$ later I have bought another used one.

Also some good news, we have the injector sitting in place. Now only small O rings are needed, to prevent them falling into engine.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5pd
    Those look better than ebay fittings, but ebay ones are fine. It's the ebay hose that is questionable. I went to a race shop on another project that had ebay -an fittings and hose to get replaced. The tech said it was a good idea to replace the hose (fuel system) but he recommended reusing the fittings as he said they work just fine. And it's been six years and no issues.
    Last edited by h82crash; 01-08-2021 at 07:35 PM.
    Tom
    Currently 1995 M3 manual coupe, 1993 325is
    Past cars
    2003 530i
    1998 528i
    1995 530i
    1988 528e
    1988 535i
    1987 2.7i
    1972 2002

My Cars
    turbo e36 m3/ stock s50/e30 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by LukasGTi16v View Post
    I was resealing filter housing today, and I found out that the lower alternator bolt was missing, and it probably caused this crack.

25$ later I have bought another used one.

Also some good news, we have the injector sitting in place. Now only small O rings are needed, to prevent them falling into engine.

you need these. I have a Garrett gt35r bb that I'll let it go for cheap.

https://rallyroad.net/collections/fu...rev14injectors
    Last edited by m3boost; 01-10-2021 at 01:20 PM.

96 M3, GT4094R, Arrow Rods, CP Pistons, Elring HG, cutring 87mm, 10 mm ARP studs,MS3pro, EMC Intercooler, n54 6 speed with Motiv twin disk, ZT-2 wideband, Zionsville Radiator, X-brace, H&R springs with bilstien shocks, QTP electronic cutout, Line Locks, stock exhaust 455rwtq, 453rwhp at 14 psi 91 octane.......684rwtq, 681rwhp at 24 psi running flex fuel E60 at time of dyno tune.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by m3boost View Post
    you need these. I have a Garrett gt35r bb that I'll let it go for cheap.

https://rallyroad.net/collections/fu...rev14injectors
    Yes I was looking at rallyroad site, unfortunately anything I order from US become very expensive for me due to shipping costs. I am trying to get all the stuff from europe. But in this case I have decided to make it DIY from nylon.

I think I will give a shot to these fittings. I have bought teflon braided hose from same shop, it was pretty expensive so I hope it will work with no issues. Thanks.

My Cars
    93' Turbo 325i Coupe
    Cheap and turbo E36 don't really go hand in hand. But goodluck with the build, just expect the unexpected (cost wise) it will soon start adding up when stuff starts failing. The poor man pays twice....

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    You need those spacer, in europe you can find them here:
    https://www.finjector.com/eng/bottom..._injectors-219

and while you are at it, als buy one of their adjustable fuel pressure regulators. they have a higher return flow,
    which you need if you ever go for a bigger fuel pump.

don't cheap out on parts for the fuel system. (although the parts i mentioned are pretty cheap).
    figuring something out with teflon and hoping that it works when at full boost is a bad idea.

Cheap and turbo e36 don't really go hand in hand, but if you are willing to put in the time you can do it on a budget.
    just need to be thoughtfull of the choices you make.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by et89 View Post
    You need those spacer, in europe you can find them here:
    https://www.finjector.com/eng/bottom..._injectors-219

and while you are at it, als buy one of their adjustable fuel pressure regulators. they have a higher return flow,
    which you need if you ever go for a bigger fuel pump.

don't cheap out on parts for the fuel system. (although the parts i mentioned are pretty cheap).
    figuring something out with teflon and hoping that it works when at full boost is a bad idea.

Cheap and turbo e36 don't really go hand in hand, but if you are willing to put in the time you can do it on a budget.
    just need to be thoughtfull of the choices you make.
    I understand your point. I really do want to do things proper, but I am trying to keep it under reasonable budget (for example, if this turbo upgrade is going to exceed 4000$, then I shloud have been wiser and I should swap euro S52 or M60 in it), but, we will see.

I am not going to cheap out at important things, and definitely not at fuel system. That s why I went with DW fuel pump and with some random china pump. The same thing is turbo oil feed, I have concerns about using these aluminium fittings, and I am propably going to local hydraulic shop and ask them for making one for me.

So not, I am definitely not going to cheap out on important bits.
    Last edited by LukasGTi16v; 01-14-2021 at 02:11 PM.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    Some updates.

We have fuel pump fitted. It was definitely not plug and play kit.

And yes, my soldering very bad.

Fuel injectors O rings finished.

Now I am wondering how to fit turbocharger.

1. Option

2. Option

What do you think ?
    Last edited by LukasGTi16v; 01-14-2021 at 02:12 PM.

My Cars
    93' Turbo 325i Coupe
    Option 1 and 2 are blank mate, nothing there. Also, goodluck trying to turbo build for $4k, might be doable but it's a tough budget to adhere to without problems occuring.

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    what manifold are you using?

no offense, if your soldering looks like this, I doubt that you will weld your own
    in that case, i would advice you to go with an SPA bottom mound manifold,
    however, the wastegate placement might be an issue.
    not to expensive, great quality, and should fit your power goals well enough.

Do you know the pressure of your internal waste gate?

4k is cheap... I consider myself to have a budget build, tuning it myself on OEM ECU and all,
    but I am scared to make an overview of all the money and parts i have put into it over time.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    what manifold are you using?
    I am using ebay 80 dollars cast manifold: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

Do you know the pressure of your internal waste gate?
    No I do not.

no offense, if your soldering looks like this, I doubt that you will weld your own
    My friend will do this for me. I am not going to do this alone.

Anyway, I was resealing valve cover today and it was freezing cold, and the plastics were brittle. I have managed to broke internal pcv baffle. I have put it together without it for now, but I have concerns about too much oil spilling to the catch can. I have not found any discussions about this on forums. But there is still that camshaft cover that prevent the oil from spraying too much, so maybe it should be ok ?

My Cars
    325i
    That particular Chinese made cast manifold will work fine for your power goal. Just make sure you cut a slot between the bolt hole on the runners flange for expansion. Otherwise it will warp and crack.

Enjoy the journey.
    Last edited by M3poseur; 01-16-2021 at 03:24 PM.

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by M3poseur View Post
    That particular Chinese made cast manifold will work fine for your power goal. Just make sure you cut a slot between the bolt hole on the runners flange for expansion. Otherwise it will warp and crack.

Enjoy the journey.
    this is a very good tip that you should follow! however, is this manifold meant for top mount?

Find out your base wastegate pressure, you can do that with a air compressor and see at what pressure your wastegate will open.
    pretty easy.

My Cars
    325i
    That manifold is for bottom mount. If he want to use it for top mount with that manifold, it’s up to him how difficult he want his build to be.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    Just make sure you cut a slot between the bolt hole on the runners flange for expansion. Otherwise it will warp and crack.
    I will do thanks for the tip !

Yes this is bottom mount manifold. But as I wanted reliable top mount setup on budget, there was not many options. This was for 80 dollars from aliexpress, so pretty cheap.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    I am very happy how this came out. My friend has fabricated exhaust for me and it is freaking awesome.

Injectors in place.

Just make sure you cut a slot between the bolt hole on the runners flange for expansion. Otherwise it will warp and crack.
    I would like to ask where exactly I should cut a slot ? Just to be sure.
    Last edited by LukasGTi16v; 01-24-2021 at 03:49 PM.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    After little modifications, Z3M radiator is in place.

I have started doing some mounts for the intercooler.

How is she sitting now so far...

Still undecided which ecu to run...

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    Fabrication work and turbo location does not look "low budget" aside from maybe the IC mounting brackets. Good job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast