Thread: In desperate needs of advice for my 2017 X1 X Drive....warranty on suspension!?!

My Cars
    2017 X1

In desperate need of advice for my 2017 X1 X Drive....warranty on suspension!?!

Hey folks,

I know someone is going to have some valuable input here. In early March 2020 I purchased a CPO X1 X-drive with 33K on it. I am a traveling sales person and the car now has 60K on it. The car itself has been a continual repair problem with average dealer visits at least 1 per month.

Last month the car started making a thumbing noise while going over bumps...it happened literally the next day after being picked up from service....45 days and 8k later......the deal just hit me up with a $3500 repair bill for a new motor mount and 2 lower control arms citing that the CPO warranty does not cover standard wear items.

Interestingly....there are numerous technical service bulletins about these parts crapping out after 9K miles........it's an obvious known issue with BMW.

I'm sure some of you have been though this already but how to you get BMW to play nice an warranty these items.

I would have never imagined that this car at 35K would literally fall apart.

Any help would be great.....I cant afford $3500 right now

Regards Henry
    Last edited by Henrykjr; 12-30-2020 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo

My Cars
    E36 Compact,Coupe,E30
    I can’t help you on this specific case as I haven’t ever owned a bmw in warranty and don’t plan to. However in no sense are motor mounts a wear item at 60K on that class of vehicle. Control arms yes wear, but also at 60k that’s extremely early. 3500 sounds about right for their ridiculous dealer part prices and labor rate.

I’d be curious what the other 8K was. Any vehicle with 60K on it that’s been even minimally maintained shouldn’t need over 10K in service. You should be replacing tires, fluids/filters and maybe spark plugs but those may go 100K now.

My anecdotal example is my Saab leaked from the PS pump @30K. Told dealership, they said ya they do that, dropped it off, they put a new one one and 200K later it’s still fine. Cost $0 and that’s a GM dealership.

Did they reference any TSB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    S52 E36 Compact
    E36 325is Coronaproject
    08 Saab 9-3 in Oxford Green

My Cars
    2017 X1
    Yes there are 2 TSB for the exact issues. Vehicle has been dealer maintained (how could it not be it's been in for repairs every month).

I have owned a list of cars over the years. In terms of lowest quality #1 was my Land Rover Freelander followed closely by #2 Bmw X1 #3 1982 Ford Turbo Thunderbird #4 1979 Porsche 928. Over the last 20 years of new car purchases this one takes the cake.

I am wondering if there are any special trick for guilting BMW into fixing this? That is the angle I am pursuing

Thoughts?
    HK

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Start with meeting with service manager and also contact bmw North America. Didn’t they give you an estimate for the work that was to be done? They can’t repair your car without your permission. Cpo does not cover wear and tear items, but with the sib’s about your problems I would bring that up then get rid of the car and get a more reliable car which will not be another bmw.

My Cars
    '17 535, '16 X1, '01 Z3
    I had the same issue with my 2016 X1, the engine mount was messed up around 30k miles. The new car warranty had just expired and the CPO did not cover it. I also complained to the dealer about what a low quality and pricey car with this kid of issues this early. Fortunately for me, the service person messed up saying they would fix it, after she was told it was not covered I raised hell and they ended up "honoring" the repair since the warranty had just expired. I was lucky that time, but now I hear some noise in the front driver's wheel (strut?). I hope it's not the same situation as yours. I just paid it off and was planning to keep it, but I'm wondering if that's a good decision. Any thoughts?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Get rid of it

My Cars
    2016 BMW X1
    I have a 2016 BMW X1 with 19,000 miles. And the when I went in for service the dealer said the "lower arm for the engine mount is detached". I work from home and use the other family car for road trips, camping, skiing, etc. This is a city car with little use and is driven gently, so I'm thinking this is a defective part. Do you know what the TSB #'s are for the Lower Arm Engine Mount defects mentioned above are?