Thread: 1999 BMW M3 - Totaled by insurance - Anyone want it in the Bay Area

My Cars
    99 M3

Post 1999 BMW M3 - Totaled by insurance - Anyone want it in the Bay Area

Hello all,

I haven't been on here in a long time. My 1999 BMW M3 was struck by another car on the freeway from the side.. Some guy lost control of his car and plowed into me and my family. The car held up and I drove through the accident. I loved this car but insurance is totaling it. Was wondering if anyone would want it. Insurance wants $5000 for the buy back. I think someone would possibly want for the amount of parts on this car...

I drove the car home and it drove straight but you will see the damage from the pics..

*****If you are interested or have more questions - please PM me to discuss. This car is located in the San Francisco Bay area and all delivery will be local. Anything else will need to be arranged by the buyer.*****

Owned this care for 15 years this month.
    Silver with White interior.
    Miles = 140,000 approx.
    Still passed smog.

I have the following installed which so many us had.
    - StopTech 4 piston front brakes
    - BMW Transmission replaced 2249 miles ago - At the time it was the last one from BMW in North America and Europe
    - Lightened Fly Wheel
    - New clutch master cylinder,
    - UUC Clutch
    - UUC Trans Mounts
    - UUC Short Shifter
    - Driveshaft was rebuilt and balanced
    - Turner motorsports - Rear adjustable control arms
    - Rear subframe was removed and reenforced at the sway bar locations and else where along with UUC Yellow bushings.. those really hard ones.. Forget the name
    - Ground Control Coil over suspension
    - X-brace
    - Strut Tower brace
    - Dinan intake with the 3.5 Mass air flow
    - M50 Intake mainfold
    - Aluminium Racing Radiator with Electric Fan
    - Turner Motorsports under drive pulley's
    - Headers
    - Borla Cat back exhaust
    - Not installed - Active Autowerks - Mid Track pipe with O2 Sensor deletes
    - Turner Motorsports. - Fuel Pump with Cross over setup
    - TMS - Sway bars

There is more......
    Last edited by zerotrip; 12-29-2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added pics

My Cars
    99 M3

1999 m3

Last edited by zerotrip; 12-29-2020 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added pics

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Looks like your image links aren't working. They all say "invalid" for me.

My Cars
    1995 m3
    Saaaame invalid pics

My Cars
    99 M3
    I uploaded pics.. Not links.. Not sure why they didn't work.. Pardon that.. This is Sold now...

My Cars
    89 E30 S52 94 E34 S52
    It worked this morning when you just posted this, not sure what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Sorry to hear glad you're ok!

Wow costed 5000 to buy back, I'm curious to know what the insurance company value these cars at. I also own a 99 m3. The last time my 7 got total, allstate wanted 1800 for they car and paid out 5500. Appreciated if you dont mind sharing some info on the value.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by asianvenom; 12-29-2020 at 11:09 PM.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by asianvenom View Post
    Sorry to hear glad you're ok!

Wow costed 5000 to buy back, I'm curious to know what the insurance company value these cars at. I also own a 99 m3. The last time my 7 got total, allstate wanted 1800 for they car and paid out 5500. Appreciated if you dont mind sharing some info on the value.

It differs wildly be insurer.

I got rear-ended two months ago by a girl with USAA. Ruined my trunk, tail panel (the little strip between the trunk and bumper), and bumper. Not super terrible, but it all needs to be replaced.

I went to a nice shop who quoted $11k to fix it "right" (may have been a bit overkill). Not that cutting out and welding back in the tail panel is easy, but it seemed more than a little high to me.

I fought with them quite a bit, went from a $9,800 payout to a roughly $12,000 payout. The buyback for the car was only $2600. (also, because Texas, they couldn't legally total it because Texas law states they can't include paint in the calculation. So they paid me out for a total loss, but I won't have to get a salvage title.) All that at 250k miles. Would have been $17k if I had mileage under 180k. Probably would have been north of $20k if I was only in the 130ks.

One of the other guys here on the forum got totaled in Delaware for $3300 in damage (turbo E36 S52, though may not have started life as an M3). Zero didn't mention what his payout or mileage was, but the buyback was $5k.

Its becoming harder to find comps for these cars, which is making the payouts rise. They got away with criminally underpaying for a while there, but now it's coming back around.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    All the horror stories on here about low payout convinced me to get a stated value policy on my Slicktop Estoril Twinscrew. It started out at $20k and I just upped it to $25k

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine 318is View Post
    All the horror stories on here about low payout convinced me to get a stated value policy on my Slicktop Estoril Twinscrew. It started out at $20k and I just upped it to $25k
    I've been bent over 5 times. This is the first time I've ever gotten legitimately decent comps.

You're absolutely doing it right. You should have a stated value policy unless you don't have another car you can list as your primary (which is my situation).

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    skateboard
    I have Grundy on my M’s, and track insurance when I take them to the track. Anything happens I’m not worried.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Sorry to hear this, sounds like it was well modified and enjoyed. Hope you find a descent replacement... any thoughts what you'll go with?

this reminds me I've been thinking of switching insurance to Hagerty. It seems as if the payment would be the same as my current StateFarm, but I'd get a value of $15k with Hagerty, whereas I'm not sure I'd get that much with Statefarm.
    Last edited by propcar; 01-04-2021 at 09:32 AM.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    99 M3
    . StateFarm came through and gave me little more than $16k
    Last edited by zerotrip; 01-04-2021 at 03:21 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    I was really thinking I was only going to get sub 5 digits for the car as well.. StateFarm came through and gave me little more than $16k. Thankfully a Member on here
    Braymond141 bought the car to donate most of it to a restore. I can't wait to see. The care was still able to drive straight and well. Until the next life.. I am not sure what I am going to get next.. Now I am going to take the money and re-do my garage before I get my next toy.

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Very nice to hear, you're the only I've heard of that is happy with your insurance compensation.

Like I said I do own a 99 in cental valley, but with AllStates so I am kind of happy to hear with your outcome.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    sounds like parts of it will be going to great cars... sounds nice that Statefarm came through. Maybe I shouldn't have to move to hagerty.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by asianvenom View Post
    Very nice to hear, you're the only I've heard of that is happy with your insurance compensation.

Like I said I do own a 99 in cental valley, but with AllStates so I am kind of happy to hear with your outcome.

I got rear- ended the first time back in 2010-2011 or so by a lady who had USAA. I BARELY got the car fixed back then at a repair cost of $5000 with a market value of $6500 or so at around 135k miles.

I had two other incidents in between (yes, all to my poor rear bumper), and every one has been the same. Low payout, making concessions to avoid getting totaled.

This last accident I just had in October was also with a USAA insured girl. Their first market assessment (given I've got 250k on the clock now) came in at $8800. Which was so much higher than what I'd been quoted a year before it actually surprised me.

Then, when I discovered one of the comps was a car with torn seats and rusty fenders, I ripped into them, gave them the "right" comps to use, and told them they'd be talking with my lawyers (whose info I'd already given them at the very beginning) if they yanked me around any more. The second valuation came back just over $12,000.

We are extremely fortunate that two things have happened in the last ten years or so. 1) Our cars have rebounded from that awful trough that was the late 00's, and 2) at least a few of the insurance companies have been successfully sued enough by people like us that they're being a little more honest with valuations (both initially, and by also being responsive when challenged).

I don't know who else offers decent valuations, but we have record here of two that are at least playing ball. For the record, my own company (Progressive) told me to kiss the car goodbye - no way would I avoid being totaled. That even just having to paint the bumper would be too much.

I don't qualify to get USAA, but this has made me realize I can get a decent valuation with other companies. Next time I need to renew, I'm going to do some work and find out what they all think my car is worth.