Thread: 2012 F11 520d intermittent level control failure

My Cars
    2012 F11 520d xDrive

2012 F11 520d intermittent level control failure

Hey all,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a strange issue on my F11. Whenever I'm driving every now and then the level control failure popup will appear on the screen, and disappear after a few seconds and then a few seconds/minutes later it pops up again. I have a feeling it's something to do with it being winter and salty crud going all over the place but I haven't been able to figure it out, but it really seems like some kind of a contact issue to me since everything seems to work perfectly otherwise and the warning keeps disappearing almost immediately on it's own.

The suspension works fine, no ride issues whatsoever and after releasing the air the suspension rises to the same height every time and readjusts whenever needed. Didn't lower during a period of sitting for 3 days. Really nothing seems to be wrong with the system itself, iDrive just randomly bongs about the level control failure and it's extremely annoying hearing it constantly. I checked the level sensors but couldn't get their connectors to come off so I stopped before breaking anything, but the connectors looked dry on the outside right after driving. But then I started thinking that surely it would kick the compressor on if it got a strange reading due to poor contact? Again, not sure where to go from here.

Anything that could point me in the right direction would be appreciated, hearing the iDrive bong dozens of times during a commute is driving me insane.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by Methubble View Post
    Hey all,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a strange issue on my F11. Whenever I'm driving every now and then the level control failure popup will appear on the screen, and disappear after a few seconds and then a few seconds/minutes later it pops up again. I have a feeling it's something to do with it being winter and salty crud going all over the place but I haven't been able to figure it out, but it really seems like some kind of a contact issue to me since everything seems to work perfectly otherwise and the warning keeps disappearing almost immediately on it's own.

The suspension works fine, no ride issues whatsoever and after releasing the air the suspension rises to the same height every time and readjusts whenever needed. Didn't lower during a period of sitting for 3 days. Really nothing seems to be wrong with the system itself, iDrive just randomly bongs about the level control failure and it's extremely annoying hearing it constantly. I checked the level sensors but couldn't get their connectors to come off so I stopped before breaking anything, but the connectors looked dry on the outside right after driving. But then I started thinking that surely it would kick the compressor on if it got a strange reading due to poor contact? Again, not sure where to go from here.

Anything that could point me in the right direction would be appreciated, hearing the iDrive bong dozens of times during a commute is driving me insane.
    possibly one of the ride height sensors. you need ISTA to do a sensor check