Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: In dash head unit with RDS traffic GPS?

My Cars
    LS E46

In dash head unit with RDS traffic GPS?

Looking for an in dash head unit that has its own ability to find traffic using the RDS like an OEM navigation system. If it requires my phone for its WiFi in order to achieve this, then it is completely off topic, so I ask that you please don’t clutter this thread with it because there are plenty of threads about those units in here already.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

You'll need to explain further for what you mean. You'd like a head unit to 'find traffic' ? why would you want to drive your car 'in' to traffic congestion?!!

Secondly, the RDS functionality isn't for any kind of navigation purpose. It's used to send small amounts of data to a unit capable of receiving and then displaying on the head unit - it'll include information like Time, Radio Station Name and Program Type.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System

What exactly are you wanting/wishing to do ?

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    LS E46
    The RDS (Radio Data System) is how your sat nav unit knows where traffic backups are and when to suggest detours. What you’re referring to is the TMC (Traffic Message Channel) and is part of the RDS. If you’re not familiar with this system, I’m not sure why you’re replying.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

It's been a LONG time since RDS was any kind of feature thats been mentioned for navigation purposes! I read a bit more of the wiki link I put and remembered there was, as you pointed out the 'TMC' aspect !

You'll need to find out if local radio stations are broadcasting that information, as over here in the UK, most broadcasting of it was stopped years ago (going back to 2007, but some reports of TMC working in certain areas at that time), so the oem 'TMC' functionality in E39's (and other platforms) ceased being of any real use. If it's still being broadcast in the PNW, then I don't think any modern/new aftermarket head unit will use the TMC channel/function, but perhaps some good bedtime reading material as you browse the tech specs of head units to see if the 'TMC' is included in it's RDS implementation! - I just did a quick scan of some Kenwood units and for the Tuner features, there's some RDS support but no mention of the TMC. Maybe US units do have it?!

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    '99 540iAT; '00 528iT/5
    The OEM nav systems in the IBUS generation BMWs (E39, E46, E38, etc.) could never receive traffic information over the air in the United States. In other markets, there was the TMC function, but that is now deprecated as Dennis said. I believe TMC was on the BM54 radio (euro version of the US BM53 Navigation radio).

Later generation cars could receive over the air traffic info in the US. Back when I had my E61, the OEM system picked up traffic data from ClearChannel (media conglomerate) stations. It was a nice feature. I think this is what you are looking for.

Crutchfield.com allows you to filter nav systems by those that have the traffic feature: the only one it found for the E39 on my quick search was the Alpine INE-W987HD.
    1999 540iAT Glacier Green / Black
    2003 525iT/5 Oxford Green II / Beige
    2011 328i Conv. Platinum Bronze

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi TexasTouring,

Thanks for that update !

Cheers, Dennis!