Thread: WTB: Used Z3M Front Struts

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe

WTB: Used Z3M Front Struts

Had a pair, can't find them. Looking to do Koni swap and need housings. Let me know what you have?
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    99 M3

I can measure some Casings I have, as I think you can weld on the sway bar tabs to an non-“M” casing.
    I’ll get back to you!!

(Edit: It has been noted below that the spring perch is of different diameter between “M” and non-“M” casings)

OEM Sachs replacements should work also.
    Sachs E36M3 OEM struts are widely available.
    Z3”M” Sachs OEM strut don’t seem to exist

Anyone have a length dimension for Z3”M” casings? I can obtain different values/points of measurement if desired.

Koni Strut cartridge 86411342 Sport are applicable to both the E36M3 and Z3”M”.
    Any chance the E36M3 and Z3”M” OE strut casing diameter, lower spring perch diameter and lower spring perch position are all the same?
    Both use the same spring lower pad 31331124322, so the spring lower perch diameter is the same, any chance it is in the same position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 01-09-2021 at 10:25 AM.

My Cars
    99' s52 mcoupe
    I have them

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    OEM Sachs replacements should work also.

I measure some Casings I have, as I think you can weld on the sway bar tabs to an non-“M” casing.
    I’ll get back to you!!

Non-M have different size spring perches. I'm using M springs and Koni inserts.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    z3
    Non-M strut diameters are also different iirc

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Makes sense, else the Koni inserts would fit in the Z3 housings and I don't believe they do.

Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Makes sense, else the Koni inserts would fit in the Z3 housings and I don't believe they do.

They fit the non-m struts just fine, but non-m have no tabs for the sway bar end links.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    99 M3

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    See edited post above for E36M3 casings, which appear to have same perch diameter as the Z3”M”. Need conformation on length or height to perch of Z3”M”.’

Ya the non-“M” E36 casings appear to be only slightly larger, but there is still the perch issue.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 12-14-2023 at 06:22 PM.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I got 52.2-3 on all my strut housings except the GC custom made ones that are beefier.

I can't any difference other than the tab for the sway bars.

That being said, I have some factory non-M struts that are going in the recycling bin.

If anyone wants them for koni inserts then PM me and cough up some shipping money.

I can cut them down and drill them to prep them for Koni inserts for $100 shipped.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    99 M3

Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    That being said, I have some factory non-M struts that are going in the recycling bin.

If anyone wants them for koni inserts then PM me and cough up some shipping money.
    Can you get a similar ball park measurement on the Z3 non-“M” casings? The M3 and non-“M3” casing measurement is very similar. If the Z3 casings are the same/similar, it means Z3M owners can use the E36 Sachs OEM M3 casings. Again the non-“M” casings have a different diameter lower spring perch.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 01-09-2021 at 10:37 AM.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I got 14 3/4. Its all the same if you ask me.

I get the spring are different, Z3 springs are huge and tapered and a major PITA to install.

The HR sport springs just drop on there with very little effort.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I got 14 3/4. Its all the same if you ask me.

I get the spring are different, Z3 springs are huge and tapered and a major PITA to install.

The HR sport springs just drop on there with very little effort.
    Think the M springs are easier to install than the Z3 springs? They don't look tapered and I imagine my compressors will grab 3 coils. Maybe it'll be a bear and I'll just grab some H&Rs. I recall those being cake when I did those on my M Roadster.

FYI, have a pair enroute. Seller removed them 13 years ago from his M Coupe and condition looks nice.

Last edited by s8ilver; 12-23-2020 at 12:55 AM.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    99 M3

I got 14 3/4.
    Its all the same if you ask me.
    So I am guessing Z3M owners can use OE BMW M3 Strut casings and Sachs OEM M3 Replacement casings for Koni “Cut-n-Gut”

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    So I am guessing Z3M owners can use OE BMW M3 Strut casings and Sachs OEM M3 Replacement casings for Koni “Cut-n-Gut”

Seems probable, but I needed more than a guess.

Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Think the M springs are easier to install than the Z3 springs? They don't look tapered and I imagine my compressors will grab 3 coils. Maybe it'll be a bear and I'll just grab some H&Rs. I recall those being cake when I did those on my M Roadster.
    Non m are much taller uncompressed.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    1997 318Ti Lemon car
    I’m looking for a second set of used ‘96-99 e36 M3 struts to install Koni 8610 Race inserts.
    https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...s/Race-Single/

Before I decided to go with the Koni 8610 Race I was thinking about going with the traditional 8641 Sport inserts and Z3M struts because I was told they are physically shorter. M3 and Z3M struts have different part numbers. I called Bilstein to confirm the difference between the B8 for the M3 and Z3M and they told me it was a shorter assembly. It seems to make sense to use the Z3M strut body with lowering springs to help keep the piston more in the middle of the shock when installed on my 318Ti Lemons car.
    The Koni 8610 Race come in two different lengths and are secured by a gland nut https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...es/Gland-Nuts/ system instead of bottom bolt.

I have a rusty set of ‘97 M3 front struts I’m going to test and figure out how to make this work with a gland nut securing system.
    Last edited by 02 GmbH; 12-24-2020 at 12:00 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3

Koni Sport Strut inserts can accommodate stock spring ride height as well as any conventional spring ‘drop’ ride height.
    There must be a difference in the stock shock shaft length and/or internal valving, as the stock Z3’M’ and E36M3 stock strut assemblies carry different BMW part number but from a little bit of what we have gathered here the casings appear to be the same. The exception to that difference is that the Koni “Cut-a-Strut” insert is the same for the E36 Z3”M” Roadster/Coupe’ and E36M3. I am going to assume the Koni insert by design, has such a long shock shaft stroke that it can accommodate Z3”M”/M3 stock ride height differences as well as any lowering spring ride height of each.

I do not have the BMW Z3”M” OE Sachs/Boge Strut Casing ID (or M3 OE / OEM Sachs strut casing ID), nor do I have the OD of the Koni insert for comparison purposes.
    A Koni ‘Race’ insert with gland nut retention in an OE casings is new ground for me, and I will speculate, others as well.
    Ground Control uses a shorter insert and shorter rear shock in their Z3”M” coil over kits.

Koni Sport Rear Shock is the same p/n for the Z3 and Z3”M” models.

E36M3 Koni Strut insert p/n

Last edited by bluptgm3; 12-14-2023 at 06:36 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Non m are much taller uncompressed.
    Understood. I'm wondering how difficult OEM M springs are to install. That was my plan currently, but may need to procure one of those fancy plate type compressors. I have the wife's Honda to rebuild also, so they'd see some good use and might be worth the purchase price.

- - - Updated - - -

There must be a difference in the stock shock shaft length and/or internal valving, as the stock Z3’M’ and E36M3 stock strut assemblies carry different BMW part number but from a little bit of what we have gathered here the casings appear to be the same. The exception to that difference is that the Koni “Cut-a-Strut” insert is the same for the E36 Z3”M” Roadster/Coupe’ and E36M3. I am going to assume the Koni insert by design, has such a long shock shaft stroke that it can accommodate Z3”M”/M3 stock ride height differences as well as any lowering spring ride height of each.
    Ground Control uses a shorter insert and shorter rear shock in their Z3”M” coil over kits.
    Also noticed that S52 and S54 cars have different front OE part numbers for the strut assemblies. I assume it's a damper difference in that case, and that the housings are identical.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 12-24-2020 at 03:15 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    99 M3

Also noticed that S52 and S54 cars have different front OE part numbers for the strut assemblies. I assume it's a damper difference in that case, and that the housings are identical.
    Ya most likely a weight difference between dual VaNos / single VaNos head and reconfigured S54 bottom end vs S52 bottom end.

My Cars
    z3
    S54 has more weight forward of the axle (oil cooler filled with oil, notably)

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!