Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I really want to reinforce my subframe. Mechanical-savvy, please help

My Cars
    '00 BMW MCoupe, '06 Mazda3 sT HB
    Quote Originally Posted by 6i9
    The only way to get the respect of my dealership (so it seems) is to frequent them for oil changes, brake changes and flushing, and other miscellaneious maintenance I can mostly manage on my own without forking over a fortune. Or buying many cars from them. Basically, respect = money. To most of BMW of Fairfax at least.

And it's even trickier if I'm not under warranty anymore...
    Start networking around the area.
    You'd be surprised @ how many ppl are willing to help out...just to be able to work on your car.
    You just have to be a little savvy about it.
    '00S52 RETIRED

'07 Silver Gray E86 MCoupe

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleM
    Start networking around the area.
    You'd be surprised @ how many ppl are willing to help out...just to be able to work on your car.
    You just have to be a little savvy about it.
    Networking? What do you mean?

I don't know the first place to look for a good BMW body shop. I tried asking on various regional forums, with no luck.

My Cars
    '00 BMW MCoupe, '06 Mazda3 sT HB
    Networking? What do you mean?

I don't know the first place to look for a good BMW body shop. I tried asking on various regional forums, with no luck.
    That's totally bogus, if you had asked around any of the DC Metro boards, Wagon Worx would have popped up several times.

The point to this is,Many of us here don't have the first clue on how to do the solutions that Randy or dvm have come up with. But I'll bet you they didn't either until they start chatting it up w/ friends, family, strangers. It's all about being entreprenurial & going out & seeking what you need even if it's a dead end most of the time.

The Z3 community is soo kool because of the grassroots engineering solutions that are being invented all the time. & I dare say most of it comes about by just hanging out & shooting the sh!t.

The boards is one resource, the NCCA is another...you get the idea.
    '00S52 RETIRED

'07 Silver Gray E86 MCoupe

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleM
    That's totally bogus, if you had asked around any of the DC Metro boards, Wagon Worx would have popped up several times.

The point to this is,Many of us here don't have the first clue on how to do the solutions that Randy or dvm have come up with. But I'll bet you they didn't either until they start chatting it up w/ friends, family, strangers. It's all about being entreprenurial & going out & seeking what you need even if it's a dead end most of the time.

The Z3 community is soo kool because of the grassroots engineering solutiions that are being invented all the time. & I dare say most of it comes about by just hanging out & shooting the sh!t.

The boards is one resource, the NCCA is another...you get the idea.
    You're right. I just need some connections. I'll check out this Wagon Werks place.

My Cars
    2002 M roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by MMpire
    Ok, just random thoughts here... But if you have the subframe completely removed from the car, is it possible to hammer the bushing out with a block of wood or soething if you are pushing down from the top? I was told you could get them out with a mallet and a blow torch, but you would just destroy the OEM bushings.
    It's probably doable, but it's crude. I don't like to put a torch to a structural component like a subframe if I can just buy a tool and do it quickly and effortlessly without a torch nor hammer. Call me anal-retentive, but there it is.

The subframe is only connected to the car via the shocks, 2 mounts with bushings we are going to replace, and the drive shaft? Does this sound right?
    Plus the differential cover mount, plus the swaybar (via the trailing arms), plus brake lines and sensor wires... yes.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Looks "factory" from the bottom. A few more pictures are posted on b'fest.

My Cars
    2002 M roadster
    I think the trouble is, Randy seems to know what he's doing when he went out and designed his own insurance for his M. As opposed to the common M Coupe owner, who might not have as much knowledge about the dynamics involved in welding steel here and there. Also, Randy looks like he has a good relationship with his dealer, something that can't be said for everyone (meaning very few).

I'm still trying to figure out the step by step instructions involved in installing Ireland Bushings...dwm's log is helpful, but missing a lot of vital information.
    Try this instead:

<a href="http://www.rfdm.com/SubframeBushings/howto.html">
    http://www.rfdm.com/SubframeBushings/howto.html</a>

Needs more pictures and tool information, but if you read through it, then look under your car, then read through it again, it should all fall into place in your head. The key thing to think about is that it's just those three points truly holding up the subframe... the two subframe mounts with bushings we're replacing, plus the differential cover mount. The rest is just things you need to get out of the way to get to the task at hand.

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dwm
    Try this instead:

<a href="http://www.rfdm.com/SubframeBushings/howto.html">
    http://www.rfdm.com/SubframeBushings/howto.html</a>

Needs more pictures and tool information, but if you read through it, then look under your car, then read through it again, it should all fall into place in your head. The key thing to think about is that it's just those three points truly holding up the subframe... the two subframe mounts with bushings we're replacing, plus the differential cover mount. The rest is just things you need to get out of the way to get to the task at hand.
    That looks like it's a lot more thorough. Thanks for the writeup.

My Cars
    E70 X5D & R56 MCS
    does anyone have information on where I can rent this tool? and how much it goes for?
    thanks
    -Kyle 1995 Custom Turbo M3 SOLD!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123