Thread: Recaro rebuild with L-seat and Mustang Foam

My Cars
    1982 BMW 320is

Recaro rebuild with L-seat and Mustang Foam

Hi all,

I’ve decided to pull the trigger and reupholster my e21 recaros and replace my e30 ones. And I was wondering if anyone has experience with using the foam for the mustangs like these:

I would them couple them with covers from L-seat.
    Guess I’m just curious on what peoples experiences are with both the foam and the covers. My e30 recaros are starting to tear after 6 almost 7 years of daily use and sitting in the California sun. So I’m wondering what challenges (if any) you came across with going this route.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    71 02, 79 323i,03 330i, 91 325
    The e30 sport seats are not Recaro. Double check, BMW did offer Recaros for the e30 though.

My Cars
    1982 BMW 320is
    Quote Originally Posted by svn2002s View Post
    The e30 sport seats are not Recaro. Double check, BMW did offer Recaros for the e30 though.
    The ones I have aren’t the sport seats. These have supports for a racing harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1982 E21 baur
    Curious if this was done? Trying to figure out what do with my e21 Baur seats

My Cars
    1982 BMW 320i
    I'm not done with any of my interior projects, but I have started to assemble pieces.
    First thought was to rebuild and reupholster the original comfort seats, but the padding alone is nearly impossible to find, and costs as much as a used set of Recaros.
    So, I purchased a used set of Recaros, new seat webbing from Aardvark, and ordered the foam pads from CJ Pony Parts.
    The foam pads look like a perfect match, they have the cut-outs on top for the headrests, and the foam leg extension is attached to a wooden backer with screw inserts to reattach to the frames.

That's been the easy part. I've ordered multiple material samples from L Seat, Relicate, Sailrite, yourautotrim, etc. but so far, I haven't found anything I want to use.
    I've started getting quotes locally to reupholster but haven't settled on anything there either.

I'm being particular about color matching the original Pergament/Parchment interior. It's a strange beige/tan that's hard to match.
    I started trying to match with vinyl backs and cloth fronts like the original Recaros, but everything is either too brown or too grey.
    I may end up with leather bolsters and perforated leather inserts.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    I had a shop re-do my seats with these foams, they worked out perfectly.

The shop was able to save my original vinyl on the sides, and I went with a generic tweed in the centers. The result looked great!
    Last edited by cgifool; 02-13-2024 at 10:55 AM.