Thread: Performance Chip or ECU upgrade for N51 motor

My Cars
    '09 128i, '04 325ci

Performance Chip or ECU upgrade for N51 motor

My '09 128i E88 came wtih the N51 motor (confirmed) and therefore the DISA 3 stage intake manifold.
    Is it better to get a 'plug and play' or remap my ECU with a stage 2 from Bimmerworld to optimize this intake?

Do these chips simply plug into OBD ? Is mapping an ECU from BM as easy as they make it sound and could I change it back just as easily for smog inspection?
    I'm new to modding these cars and want to be able to remove whatever computer performance mod to pass CA smog when needed.
    Is this how it works?

Thanks for your patience with these noob questions. Any help is appreciated.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    There are 2 ways to up the power from the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak). The first way is to flash the DME with a different set of “maps.” A map is basically a set of data which the DME references to determine parameters such as ignition timing, fuel injection timing and duration, turbo boost, etc. The issues are that you need a laptop computer, the maps can be overwritten by the dealer if there’s a software recall or update and you can “brick” (render it unusable) the DME if you screw up. The other way is to “intercept” the gas pedal signals (your car is throttle by wire with the DME reading the pedal’s position) and mod those signals. It’s a less sophisticated way to increase power.

My Cars
    '09 128i, '04 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    There are 2 ways to up the power from the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak). The first way is to flash the DME with a different set of “maps.” A map is basically a set of data which the DME references to determine parameters such as ignition timing, fuel injection timing and duration, turbo boost, etc. The issues are that you need a laptop computer, the maps can be overwritten by the dealer if there’s a software recall or update and you can “brick” (render it unusable) the DME if you screw up. The other way is to “intercept” the gas pedal signals (your car is throttle by wire with the DME reading the pedal’s position) and mod those signals. It’s a less sophisticated way to increase power.
    Thank you for the reply.

I used to map my dynojet ignition modules on my roadracing motorcycles and it was relatively simple. Download maps (hundreds of options according to bike/mod config) directly from mfg and install via laptop. The big difference is, you unplug the module from ignition and it reverts to stock settings.
    I like the idea of optimizing the 3 stage manifold using this technology but, was hoping someone here had tried the Bimmerworld ECU and could shed some light on it. $700 to have a file sent to me via email seems a little dicey.
    There are so many tuning options available it's a little complex deciding without experience.
    I thought I might buy a used ECU off Ebay that I could then program using a performance tuner and have the stock unit available when that's what I need. This way I wouldn't have to worry about "bricking" the computer.
    The problem with this idea is not knowing the condition/status of the used ECU I'd purchase.

Whatever tuner I use I'd want good tech support. I guess that's what I'm looking for here. Recommendations on user friendly data interface and tried and true results from users.

My Cars
    Too Many
    I think the N51 is almost maxed out. Spending 700 on software flash for maybe 20 extra hp is not worth it imo. In a straight line, my N52 with upgrades is still getting smoked by 135s with exhaust. Im faster braking through the corners though! Suspension and brakes can make you faster than a tune (especially if you're tracking or auto x) im not saying you shouldn't try, im just saying the effort might not be worth the $$ that could go elsewhere (such as tires suspension and brakes). I'd still like to see where you're going with this. The N51/52 is a great engine N/A. I wish someone would at least make a turbo kit for your low compression version
    20200905_083103.jpg
    Current lineup: 99 BMW M3vert (project) , 05 Mazda RX-8, 04 Mercedes CLK320, 03 Chevy Express 1500 (work van).
    Previous rides: 07 Mazda RX-8, 92 BMW 325iNV, 94 BMW 325iC, 94 BMW 325i S50 M3 clone, 84 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo, 84 Mazda B2000 lowrider, 88 Toyota Tercel, 88 Honda Accord, 93 BMW 318i, 95 Nissan Altima, 89 Toyota Camry, 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T, 93 BMW 318is, 84 Toyota Tercel, 96 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T, 97 BMW 528i 1JZ swap, 94 Acura Integra 4dr, 88 Toyota Corolla Wagon, 97 VW Jetta GLS, 86 Toyota Corolla AE86 4A-GZE supercharged engine swap, 94 Lexus LS400, 95 Isuzu NPR Turbo, 01 Suzuki TL1000R, 98 Honda CBR600F3, 99 Yamaha R6 and countless other dirt bikes and toys