Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: 2010 E90 CIC System - Why?

My Cars
    2010 BMW E90 LCI 320D

2010 E90 CIC System - Why?

I've just bought a March 2010 E90. The car is really great but I'm a bit embarrassed about the i-drive. What is the point exactly? I apparently have CIC 'MR'. Not heard of that before but it's a bad collection of stuff. 6.5 inch screen, no centre console USB, USB in the glove box but nothing updates from that socket, navigation but hasn't been updated since new in 2010, Bluetooth but only for phone functions. No music over Bluetooth. I would love to do something about this, but what?

My i-drive menu options:
    - CD/Multimedia - just switches between CD and front audio socket
    - Radio - it's just an FM/AM radio. It works well but the interface is rubbish
    - Telephone - it does connect to my i-phone 7 plus and works perfectly, but my phone can do that on it's own
    - Navigation - works but there seems no way to update the 10 year old data
    - Contacts - I can save navigation destinations
    - BMW Assist - completely pointless
    - Vehicle Info - good useful stuff
    - Settings - good useful stuff

Help!

Robin

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I understand your frustration. BMW was years behind other car manufacturers when it came to in car electronix. Unfortunately the cost of any major updates is prohibitive due to BMW’s proprietary systems and software.

I have nav in my car but never use it as I prefer google maps. You can buy a BMW nav disc you update your navigation if you plan to use the factory nav. It’s odd that the USB port in the glove box is inoperable. That’s something that you could get corrected and then move the connector to the console.

My Cars
    2009 BMW E91LCI 320xd
    I think the i-drive on E90's look way outdated and stupid. I didn't get an E90 with i-drive for just that reason. But if I had, I'd swap it for something like XTRONS. (https://xtrons.com/bmw-various-andro...b-rom-qb8060cc)
    I have one in my center console on the non i-drive version and it's very useful. Having Spotify and Google Maps on it is really nice.

I'll add that the XTRONS are very easy to install, just plug-and-play type of stuff. Makes the interior look better aswell.
    Last edited by Naive; 12-10-2020 at 04:25 PM.

My Cars
    2010 BMW E90 LCI 320D
    Yes I could move that USB. I'm not sure it is inoperable. It may be that if I get a navigation update on a USB stick it will see it. I haven't tried yet. I have plugged an iPhone into that glove box socket and it does charge.

My Cars
    2010 BMW E90 LCI 320D
    Quote Originally Posted by Naive View Post
    I think the i-drive on E90's look way outdated and stupid. I didn't get an E90 with i-drive for just that reason. But if I had, I'd swap it for something like XTRONS. (https://xtrons.com/bmw-various-andro...b-rom-qb8060cc)
    Yes I agree, outdated and stupid. I'm looking for something with a lower cost I think. I have an electronics background and I might just have to turn this problem into a project!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Be advised that the electronix in the car are highly integrated, so messing with one component can cause issues with other components. In my car, admittedly a 2018, the car can’t be scanned by the dealer unless I replace the aftermarket amp with the factory amp!! Luckily that’s a 10 minute job, but it shows you how easy it is to upset the car’s communications fabric.

My Cars
    2010 BMW E90 LCI 320D
    Yes, I get that. I could go for one of the many MMI Prime variants including the XTRONS unit mentioned by Naive. But I'm still stuck with a 6.5 inch low res screen. The screen on my iPhone 7 plus is 5.5 inches and a whole lot better in terms of resolution and brightness. I have already connected my phone via Bluetooth to the aux socket using a lossless BT5.0 module that cost me about $3. The sound quality is great and my phone automatically connects to both the i-drive phone Bluetooth and the new aux Bluetooth as soon as I get in the car. I just need to think now about phone screen navigation without touching the screen and using the i-drive controller!
    Last edited by Robin Smallbone; 12-14-2020 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Quote missing?