Thread: Exhaust Tick After Straight Pipe

My Cars
    2011 550i xDrive sprt pk

Exhaust Tick After Straight Pipe

Hi guys

New to bimmerforums.

Recently ive purchased a bmw 550i and im absolutely loving it- so much that i got it straight piped lmao
    Since the day of getting it SP'd, there has been the most obnoxious ticking noise that is 100% coming from the back end. I have no idea what it is and my car knowledge is at a minimum.
    The video below is a great demonstration that I got of it doing it, the car had just started but it does it even after warmed up. The car is still in great condition at 65k miles- almost new my mechanic told me.

Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Any and all help is appreciated
    Thanks everyone.

https://imgur.com/l4nEhv1

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    I don't know about anyone else, but to me that sounds like the engine isn't running right at all.

My Cars
    2011 550i xDrive sprt pk
    Engine runs fine lol your just hearing it from a shitty angle thats what im saying though i dont like the noise in the slightest and its coming from the back end.

My Cars
    2011 550i xDrive sprt pk
    Quote Originally Posted by f10_M550i View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but to me that sounds like the engine isn't running right at all.
    Like i said, I and my mechanic both can see the car is in perfect condition, if there was something wrong with it he would have told me right away when it was getting worked on, as well as him doing an oil change this week. So no, the engine runs fine. Youre hearing the noise at exactly the spot its creating the noise, hence why it sounds bad- the whole reason i even made this post.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by f10 guy View Post
    Like i said, I and my mechanic both can see the car is in perfect condition, if there was something wrong with it he would have told me right away when it was getting worked on, as well as him doing an oil change this week. So no, the engine runs fine. Youre hearing the noise at exactly the spot its creating the noise, hence why it sounds bad- the whole reason i even made this post.
    maybe an exhaust leak then. good luck figuring it out

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Have some body lift the car and run it on the rack

My Cars
    E36M3, E60545i, F10550i
    Put it up on a rack with the engine off. Go around with a rubber mallet and whack it at different places on the exhaust to see if anything rattles like what you are hearing.
    Last edited by Stephen Max; 12-23-2020 at 11:12 AM.

My Cars
    2012 550i
    Quote Originally Posted by f10 guy View Post
    Hi guys

New to bimmerforums.

Recently ive purchased a bmw 550i and im absolutely loving it- so much that i got it straight piped lmao
    Since the day of getting it SP'd, there has been the most obnoxious ticking noise that is 100% coming from the back end. I have no idea what it is and my car knowledge is at a minimum.
    The video below is a great demonstration that I got of it doing it, the car had just started but it does it even after warmed up. The car is still in great condition at 65k miles- almost new my mechanic told me.

Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Any and all help is appreciated
    Thanks everyone.

https://imgur.com/l4nEhv1
    I cant see a video. But a ticking noise is generally and exhaust leak or the exhaust hitting a heat shield.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525i
    Definitely sounds like a leak.
    if it's not a bmr - it's just a wanna be.