My Cars
    2002 Bmw X5 3.0

Question 2002 X5 3.0 hazards turn on randomly, random alarm issues

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and have been searching in vain for some guidance. My 2002 X5 has been acting up. Well maintained, 140k on the clock, no deferred maintenance The hazards will randomly turn on (typically right after starting or shortly thereafter rolling down the driveway) interior lights turn on, doors unlock. Open the door, hit the hazard button and off they go. Its cold out normally (under 32 degrees) and I suspect from other threads that this is related to what's commonly called the crash control module giving up the ghost finally. I've read that the ccm is now included in the SRS relays. However...I can't figure out where the heck the relays are on my car. The fuse boxes and panel diagrams have no reference to it. These used to be a common thing. I found a reference to a relay with part number 61-35-8-365-960, but even that doesn't tell me where to find the darn thing to see if that's it. My hazard/doorlock switch was shot so I replaced it already but the problem continues. I don't suspect the battery b/c its not very old and in good shape. Car has aftermarket rear and front LED head/tail lights I thought might be part of it, but I don't think so. Alarm was randomly going off as well, but I pulled that fuse to try to isolate the flashers issue for now.

Guidance, wisdom, ideas?

Thanks all
    Granny2002

My Cars
    '13 E70 & '15 F15 MSport
    Fuse/Relay located up behind glovebox. Check hood switch for the alarm.

Last edited by Zulu95; 12-04-2020 at 09:20 AM.

My Cars
    2002 Bmw X5 3.0
    Ok, so which of those relays is the one that's going to be tied to the SRS system/Crash module? I was thinking about the hood latch re the alarm, but with the crash response (flashers, interior lights, doors unlocking) I figured I'd start there. Thanks!

My Cars
    '13 E70 & '15 F15 MSport
    The hazards switch can develop problems. Simple swap might eliminate the hazards problem. There does not seem to be a SRS relay in any of those relays. Relay 3 is linked to the illumination from the info I have left on my HDD pertaining to the E53 series.

My Cars
    2002 Bmw X5 3.0
    Well, 25 degrees this morning and it did it again...but I noticed something. It does it right when I turn on my headlights. Starts up, idles, running lamps on. Turn on the lights and--bam--flashers, interiour lights on, and doors unlock: all of which are crash responses. So I turned off the car and started over. Second time...same thing--right when I turn on the lights it does its thing. I've noticed repeatedly (particularly when its cold or rainy) that when I turn the lights on there's a millisecond right before they activate where it looks like a bunch of the warning lights on the dash get a small dose of electric current and try to illuminate. I swear the stupid LED halo headlights and their related ballasts and all the wiring included (prior owner addition) are playing a role and/or the light switch itself may be going on the fritz. Hazard light switch already swapped out so that's not it. I'm going to start by replacing Relay 3, and then I may move on to the light switch. Parts are cheap, thankfully. The fact that the crash response is being triggered is what puzzles me most.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Have you checked the condition of your e53’s battery? Odd electrical gremlins can occur from a failing battery (low voltage). And another thing to check is the ignition switch (the switch not the cylinder)...its usually not an issue with the e53...but do a google search and you’ll see how lots of odd electrical gremlins can occur from a “BMW failing ignition switch” (include the words within the quotes for you google search).

You’ve read some info and possibly applied it to your application incorrectly. What you’ve explained to us in your original post sounds more like info for the e32/e34/e36/e24/e28/e30/e23 era.

Your 2002 e53 doesn’t have a “crash contro module”...nor does it have “crash sensors” (at least not the kind that you probably think you have since you are assuming you have a CCM).

Starting with the e38 in 1995...the LM (light module) was introduced and it consolidated the function of multiple modules and fuses into one module. The LM then became the LCM (light check module) which brought the Check Control Module and LM functions into one control unit. Then when the e53 came along...BMW upgraded the LCM to the LCM III.

See the iteration of the LM/LCM/LCM III in the info below:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-04-2020 at 08:19 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2002 Bmw X5 3.0
    Thanks for the heads up on the LCM distinction...I'd read that it was now part of another module, including the SRS system, but your explanation makes sense. So, if I'm thinking right then the relay that feed the LCM could be part of the problem, light switch, and battery. I knew about the battery gremlins and I'll get it checked. Its only about 18mo old though so I was putting it low on my list of suspect. The light switch and the aftermarket headlights are my current focus. When you turn the lightswitch to running lamp mode...no issues. When you turn it all the way over for a split second all the warning lights illuminate about 20% and that makes me think something isn't connecting right. Crazy?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Ignition switch

My Cars
    2002 Bmw X5 3.0
    Quick update: yesterday morning I took out the spare and put a battery tester on at about 10am. Car had sat all night and a low of around 20 degrees. The battery tester showed around 11.6 volts with the vehicle cold...when I put a load on it with the tester it went way down fast. With the motor running it as 13.5+ volts so that's solid. I put a 12 amp charge on it for about an hour or so and the battery was showing around 12.3 volts after that. Drove it a bunch yesterday. Went to start it this morning (30 degrees) and starts fine, but immediately upon turning on my lights the crash response started (unlock doors, interior lights on, hazards flashing, high beams on, etc). I'm leaning toward: a.) weak battery; and/or b.) something continuing to pull current when the vehicle is dormant overnight. I've read in other forums that these rigs technically go to 'sleep' mode after a period of time. My transmission light indicator (P N R D, etc) never goes out...I do know that.

My Cars
    '13 E70 & '15 F15 MSport
    The LED on the gear shifter is not a good indication to use. In the same year range some cars go to sleep but the LED remains on and in other cars the light goes out when sleeping. The only way to really tell is by putting an ammeter in circuit and watching the current load drop or not as the case may be.

FYI:

My Cars
    2002 Bmw X5 3.0
    OK all...still having issues. I tested the battery and it was 5 years old and failing. Brand new Duralast H8 in there now. The hazard flashers and crash response continues though. Its been cold here (3500' elevation, 25 degrees in the morning). When I start it up all's good. Turn marker lights on...no problem. But as soon as I click one more notch on the lights to turn on the main beams...wham...the whole thing lights up. Only does it when its a cold start up. Did it at the end of the workday yesterday as well. Once the lights are on a few minutes though you can turn them on/off w/o the issue returning. This morning I ran it for 1/4 mile with clearance and fog lights only and turned on the main beams while rolling at 25mph and 2500 rpm and I saw the dash warning/hazards try to flicker momentarily but no explosion of lights etc. Alarm on the car is disabled (fuse out) and so is the #74 fuse in the rear panel that feeds the old phone functions in the stereo. Today at work I had a co worker tell me that my lights (headlights and markers) were flashing weird and randomly--all at once, then just left, right, etc. WTF? I'm pretty sure my light switch is bad (ordered one), and the after market LED Halo headlights that the P.O. installed are on my short list of suspect for causing issues and likely being the source of a short somewhere. Any guidance or thoughts? Thanks all.

My Cars
    2002 Bmw X5 3.0
    Update: After more research and catching the car 'in the act' with lights going off, etc, it was clear that the alarm was getting triggered still. I disconnected the hood sensor yesterday, and put the fuse back in for the alarm system (#13). Not a peep all day yesterday. Cold snowy night and nothing. Nothing today at work either. Hazards didn't pop on this morning at startup. When my I turn my lights on there are a couple of the malf/alert lights that flash for a millisecond still. Have a new light switch and ignition switch I'll install this weekend. I've got a feeling the hoodswitch and bad battery were at the root of most of these issues.

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    Awesome news, keep us posted
    2007 FJ Cruiser (best vehicle to date)
    2012 X6 35i Sport
    2013 ML350 BT
    2019 4Runner

My Cars
    2002 Bmw X5 3.0
    Well, after a few weeks and more cold weather, the random 'crash mode' malfunction is back. Replaced so far: Battery, light switch, ignition switch, disconnected hood sensor; disconnected LED Halo functionality of aftermarket headlights that PO installed (which I think are still part of the problem). Yet still, about 50% of the time if I turn the headlights on while the car is warming up, the doors all unlock, interior lights come on, hazard flashers activate, etc. Its triggered by the light switch engaging the headlights...right when you turn them the second notch to full-on, shazam...immediate crash mode. Doesn't seem to do it if I wait until the car is going and running along at about 2k RPM or so. I'm totally puzzled where to turn at this point. There's something in the wiring circuit of the car through the headlight switch that's causing it but danged if I can figure it out. Thoughts/comments are all welcome at this point.

My Cars
    '13 E70 & '15 F15 MSport
    Scan the Cluster Memory LKM (Light Control Module) for fault codes. I had crazy faults when my LKM bit the dirt.