Thread: Transmission issue

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998

Transmission issue

E46 2003i
    Just trying to help a friend.
    She drove the car for a month after buying it and then something happened with the transmission.
    She said it happened when she tried to use tiptronic to switch gears.
    It's got 250km on it.
    What happens is that the car goes into limp mode and will drive at 5 kmph. The gear sign is on the dashboard.
    If I clear the codes, it will drive fine for a couple of blocks but as soon a I get to about 40kmph or so it will rev empty, rmp will go up but nothing happens, the car doesn't move and doesn't pull.
    I've scanned it with torque and INPA.
    Disregard the MAF error, it's just because I tried disconnecting the sensor.
    The reverse works fine however.
    Is the transmission toast?

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Get Google Translate on your cell phone. Translate the codes and list them here.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    Let me start with generic codes

P0721 code indicating that the TCM had detected that the output speed was out of range, more specifically being higher than expected. It is also said that it may be attributed to an intermittent open circuit or short.

This looks to be a wiring issue or a sensor.
    The transmission is A5S325Z (ZF 5HP19)

I think output sensor is #8 here
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=24_0893

Which can be removed without removing the valve body

http://kansascitytdi.com/01v-zf5hp19-faq/

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...e-body.928257/

So I guess I can change the output sensor, transmission fluid and filter and see if the issue gets resolved?

Not sure if this would be enough.
    Can this issue be caused by solenoids?
    While in there, could replace them all well. But it looks like faulty solenoids would set their own error codes, which they did not.

Next code is
    Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0734 stands for “Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio.” It is triggered once your powertrain control module or PCM detects that the RPM difference between the rotational speed of your input speed sensor and the transmission output speed sensor is greater than specified when your vehicle is in the 4th

I guess if the output sensor has failed, it won't properly detect the rotational speed and this error can be cause by this sensor.

Now code P1732 seems to be related to incorrect gear 4 ratio

Looks like it can also be caused by that output sensor or valve solenoid

https://www.justanswer.com/bmw/6im6f...ode-p1732.html

https://www.justanswer.com/transmiss...de-torque.html

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    Error 56 symptom GLUE, nobody really know what that means. Fluid too thick
    https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...m-glue.916888/

Error 49 is symptom gear check
    Error code 49 : Symptom Gangueberwachung ( translation: Symptom gait monitoring)).

Error 59: Locking speed or Stalling speed

Erro 53: Gear Check

Error 65: Gear Check 4

Looks like gears 3 and 4 have incorrect ratio based on Google searches.

Unfortunately I know nothing about transmissions. Not sure if it can be gears damage, converter or something else.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    It appears that when transmission is limp mode and Drive is selected, only gear 4 works, which I guess explains why the car revs without moving and why gear 4 code appears
    https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...rrors.1096974/

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    When the car is in limp mode (4), it should not rev without moving. As you would expect, it is going to accelerate slowly but as the name implies, that mode is designed so the car can limp home. In that mode, power to all solenoids and pressure regulators is ditched and you get as much line pressure as the pump can give.

The TCM is designed not to allow you to do anything silly in step mode. It knows your engine speed, road speed etc and would not, for example, allow you to drop down to first at 50mph even if you asked it. So there would appear to be a power flow or clutch issue with the trans. Maybe confirm which gears actually work fine?

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    Is i press gas, it will rev high rpm but won't move. Obviously I don't do this. I barely give it any gas, and it does "limp" slowly.
    I'm not sure how to confirm which gears work fine. Any specific way to do that?

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    You mentioned that you can get it up to 40kmph before it fails? If you use step mode, you can start off in first and check in which gear it fails. Different gears use different clutches so you can work out where to look. Totally agree that it is best not to rev it and I would drive it as little as possible.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330XI
    Hey,
    I just bought a 2006 bmw 330XI with 165.6k. I’ve had it for a day and I was driving it home I hit the highway for about 40min. I hit 80 and my translight came on. I was worried but nothing happened so 10min later when I’m more comfortable speeding back up to normal speed I speed past 80mph. Out of nowhere the transmission wouldn’t shift into 5th(I’m guessing the gear here). The Rpms would go to 6000 and wouldn’t shift. I slowed down and the tranny jerked really bad but no metal or screeching sounds. I got back on base eventually. I turned the car off and back on no trans light. I figured I was good and went out the next day the car did the same thing on the highway. Bad jerk + light. Feeling defeated at this point. I pulled back on base turned car off and back on this time still no light. The car has been sitting at this point undriven for a week at this point. I’ve noticed when I go into d/s “manual mode” the car jerks from gear to gear in park. Like a rough jerk and moves my engine with it. I’m so lost. This is my first beamer and don't want to have a bad experience. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Mypocketshurt, please start your own thread.

The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) and the automatic transmission computer (EGS) for codes. An obd2 code reader won’t read the EGS. You need to find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers in your area. Try www.bimrs.org.