Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Betty the Black E21 BMW 320i

My Cars
    95 Spec 3, 83 320i, 128i

My Cars
    95 Spec 3, 83 320i, 128i
    Still chasing this hot start issue and popping from the exhaust. I ordered new injectors and a tool to adjust the fuel trim. Without the lambda sensor plugged in, my O2 readings bounce between .3 and .7 a volt with .45 being stochiometric, so I believe this is correct as the frequency valve should be operating at the default duty cycle. Even with this, I still get a pretty rhythmic "pop" out the exhaust like it's running too rich or lean at idle and I get a "pop pop pop" when decelerating in gear. This could either mean too lean or too rich. I can not find any vacuum leaks and I've replaced a lot of hoses.

I'm getting a cold start injector cleaned right now, so that's my next course of action. After that, I may replace fuel lines to see if they are sucking air. Beyond that, maybe I'll try to replace the fuel accumulator (not sure how yet since this part is NLA) and replace the fuel filter again since I replaced it when I got it running again, but I assume i've shaken up a good bit of 30 years of dirt and rust from the tank at this point.

I've got spares of the WUR and some other fuel system parts that I may swap around, but I want to be sure I'm methodical with this. The car runs and drives fine after all, I can just tell something is wrong from the sound of the exhaust and the hot start issues. Other than that, it's fine, and I'm not sure those two are related.

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan, 82 320i
    I've got a similar hot start problem need to try the the 12x18 fuel injection hoses, common e21 problem. Also the vacuum advance on my car was frozen it made a big difference. I'm sure you already adjusted the valves by now.
    Last edited by 82Kashmir; 06-01-2021 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling

My Cars
    95 Spec 3, 83 320i, 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by 82Kashmir View Post
    I've got a similar hot start problem need to try the the 12x18 fuel injection hoses, common e21 problem. Also the vacuum advance is on my car was frozen it made a big difference. I'm sure you already adjusted the valves by now.
    Oddly enough, I have had both on my mind forever (check vacuum advance and adjust valves) and haven't gotten around to either. I just adjusted the valves in an 02 I'm taking care of and I mix the two up when I try to remember what I've done to the E21.

My Cars
    88 325iC,'11ML350,'84RX7
    I havent read back through all the posts on this thread, so maybe it has been suggested or you have done it already: fuel injector seals? Keep us posted on your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 Spec 3, 83 320i, 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by goinstrong View Post
    I havent read back through all the posts on this thread, so maybe it has been suggested or you have done it already: fuel injector seals? Keep us posted on your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup, all new injector seals. I've spent hours at this point spraying starting fluid all over to find leaks and can't find any. I'm starting to think it's an ignition problem, but I'll do the valve adjustment, new fuel filter, and retrofit a new fuel accumulator before I start fiddling with new coils and stuff.

My Cars
    95 Spec 3, 83 320i, 128i
    Been a while since I updated this! Long story short, the warm start issue got worse and worse and eventually left me stranded. Replaced all of my fuel lines and started from scratch with a fuel mix adjustment, did a valve adjustment as well and rechecked timing. Runs better than ever now. Took it on some big road trips as well. Ordered the R134a conversion parts and a new dryer. Will install those soon and drop the car off to get the system charged.

My Cars
    83 320i
    I've been living with the stuck fuel gauge sense I bought my car because the sending unit is so expensive. Can you tell me more about this vinegar trick?

My Cars
    95 Spec 3, 83 320i, 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by jsull479 View Post
    I've been living with the stuck fuel gauge sense I bought my car because the sending unit is so expensive. Can you tell me more about this vinegar trick?

Yeah, just fill a tall jar or glass with vinegar and let the sensor unit sit it in for a few days. It'll hopefully clean out the corrosion/varnished fuel and let the float move again. Shaking the sender until you hear the float move also can help. There is a little hole on the bottom of the unit, be sure to clean it out as well.

Does your gauge go to 0 when you unplug the sending unit?

My Cars
    83 320i
    I've never actually unplugged it. Once I get the M42 wired up I will have to look into it and get back to you.

My Cars
    Bmw 323i e21
    Hello there Neighbor and great progress on the car,

I have been out of touch with the forum for a long time, and just happened to click an old bookmark which led me to the e21 forum and your “Betty the Black E21 BMW 320i” post. While scanning through your post, I saw to my surprise, that several of the pictures of your car were taken just minutes from my house in Tysons Corner, VA!!
    It’s good to see that someone else is making sure these cars are around a while longer. I only wish I had seen your post earlier, as some of the stuff you have been looking for I already have in my garage and then some. I’m currently in the process of putting my 1982 323i back together again and will be welding in a new frame rail and floor panel this weekend. Once this is done I’ll be reassembling the car and hopefully drive it for the first time since 2019. I have accumulated quite a few e21 parts over the years, and some of these items are not just rare but so darn bulky, that instead of selling it on eBay and having to ship it somewhere, I figured they would more than likely be sold along with the car one day. But since you are down the street practically, let me know what you are still looking for.

Cheers.
    --Nils

My Cars
    95 Spec 3, 83 320i, 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by NIS323i View Post
    Hello there Neighbor and great progress on the car,

I have been out of touch with the forum for a long time, and just happened to click an old bookmark which led me to the e21 forum and your “Betty the Black E21 BMW 320i” post. While scanning through your post, I saw to my surprise, that several of the pictures of your car were taken just minutes from my house in Tysons Corner, VA!!
    It’s good to see that someone else is making sure these cars are around a while longer. I only wish I had seen your post earlier, as some of the stuff you have been looking for I already have in my garage and then some. I’m currently in the process of putting my 1982 323i back together again and will be welding in a new frame rail and floor panel this weekend. Once this is done I’ll be reassembling the car and hopefully drive it for the first time since 2019. I have accumulated quite a few e21 parts over the years, and some of these items are not just rare but so darn bulky, that instead of selling it on eBay and having to ship it somewhere, I figured they would more than likely be sold along with the car one day. But since you are down the street practically, let me know what you are still looking for.

Cheers.
    --Nils
    This is awesome! Been renting him for a few years but probably moving in May. Let me know if you need a hand! I stay pretty busy but I'm happy to help if I'm free. I'd love to come check out your parts stash! Maybe I have some stuff you need too.

My Cars
    95 Spec 3, 83 320i, 128i
    Sunroof slider install went horribly and I ended up making the sunroof much worse than before and it's no longer functional. I probably need to order all new everything (cables and rails) and dump this car at some shop to do the work. I'm tired of messing around with the sunroof and never getting it 100% correct.

Also finally replaced the alternator bushings with delrin pieces from AKG Motorsport. No more belt squeal.

Last edited by SenorTaylor; 10-25-2021 at 09:19 AM.

My Cars
    76 2002, 82 e21, 83 e21
    Nice ride.

I appreciate you documenting your progress.

Please keep giving us more.
    Last edited by SilverPuddle; 10-26-2021 at 11:56 PM.

My Cars
    95 Spec 3, 83 320i, 128i
    This car is for sale if anyone is interested. I have an 02 in the garage completely torn apart I need to focus on and a race car that keeps blowing head gaskets all to resolve before I move in May.

My Cars
    95 Spec 3, 83 320i, 128i

My Cars
    WTB: E21
    Somehow Betty has ended up with me now. Back in enthusiasts hands and in hibernation for the winter here in Kentucky. I hope to pick back up where Taylor left off and continue to upgrade and enjoy the car. I will make a new thread here in a few months as Betty gets some upgrades. Thank you Taylor for saving this car you put a lot of work into it’s resurrection I can tell.

My Cars
    1981 320i silver
    Black with a tan interior is a good combination.

My Cars
    82 E21
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnStorm View Post
    Somehow Betty has ended up with me now. Back in enthusiasts hands and in hibernation for the winter here in Kentucky. I hope to pick back up where Taylor left off and continue to upgrade and enjoy the car. I will make a new thread here in a few months as Betty gets some upgrades. Thank you Taylor for saving this car you put a lot of work into it’s resurrection I can tell.
    Congrats! Should be a great car to make your own. Look forward to following along with your changes and upgrades.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12