Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charcoal Canister EVAP Delete Q&A

My Cars
    S54 E36

Charcoal Canister EVAP Delete Q&A

I'm looking to delete my charcoal canister from the spare tire well because my car is a dedicated track car.

How are you guys VTA your gas tank lines? I'm a visual learner, so I need to see how people are capping the three lines and then putting an upright filter on them. I'm not sure which line is which, etc.

Thanks!

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    James Clay weighed in here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ster-for-track

I just tore it out, plugged all manifold and tb connections, and then cut the blue line the runs to the tank so it could VTA.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Good stuff. I'll try and save all the lines I can and just close them for now since I'll eventually need it for smog stuff later if I sell the car.

Sounds like you just vent the blue line and stick a filter on it and then cap all the black vacuum lines.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Yup.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    I also followed James' advice. Here is a good post that details it via picture. My issue right now is that it take me 20 min to add 5 gallon of fuel to the car. I have a few ideas as to why this is but really wont get to test them out until January. Those ideas are:

1. I added a roll over valve in place of the K&N filter James mentioned (end of item 6 in the picture on the right); i am wondering if this is getting pushed shut by the escaping air and preventing it from venting properly during refueling.
    2. Other idea is that the tube I used for item 6 is too small and doesn't allow enough air to escape; to test this i am gonna pull item 8 from picture on the right and vent that to atmosphere and see if that improves my fuel filling speed. If that is the case, I will add a filter to the end of this and plug the hole where it enters the filler neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Naka View Post
    Second week of April 09:

I go to VIR to help crew for Bill Heumann. Meet a lot of great people. And learn a lot too. I pay especial attention to the IP and JP cars. "So much to do and learn", I say to my self. But everybody is so helpful answering my never-ending questions. Which make things so much easier and interesting.

One of them, is Jason Marks, from Bimmerworld, who reviews my fuel system diagram and helps me a great deal by marking off the items not needed in a race car.

As soon as I get back home, I go work on the drawing board:

Many, many thanks Jason.

I try to make sure that eliminating the carbon canister and the expansion tank is legal in Prepared class, but the rules aren't clear about this. So I submit a rule-clarification request.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    That's awesome, thank you! This is EXACTLY what I needed. I looked at the canister again last night and it had a large black line and two blue lines, which confused me.

I was just going to stick an air filter, but I like the idea of having a roll-over valve. That seems way smart.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
    I also followed James' advice. Here is a good post that details it via picture. My issue right now is that it take me 20 min to add 5 gallon of fuel to the car. I have a few ideas as to why this is but really wont get to test them out until January. Those ideas are:

1. I added a roll over valve in place of the K&N filter James mentioned (end of item 6 in the picture on the right); i am wondering if this is getting pushed shut by the escaping air and preventing it from venting properly during refueling.
    2. Other idea is that the tube I used for item 6 is too small and doesn't allow enough air to escape; to test this i am gonna pull item 8 from picture on the right and vent that to atmosphere and see if that improves my fuel filling speed. If that is the case, I will add a filter to the end of this and plug the hole where it enters the filler neck.
    HA!!! Yea, same very slow fuel fill problem here. And, when I disconnect the fuel discriminator, it fills fine, so I'm convinced my fuel discriminator valve is closing due to the rush of air on fill. I have a simple-ish fix I'm pretty sure will work.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Lol, glad I am not the only one. Look forward to your fix; if that is indeed is my issue I was going to just put the filter on the end and call it but would like to keep the valve if possible. What discriminator did you use?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I'm using one of Radiums Dynamic Safety Vents. I wouldn't buy another (the plastic ball in the vent was either oversized, or swelled from the fuel, and would stick closed. I replaced that ball with a aluminum one that also floats in fuel.)

Here's my hopeful fix.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...4#post30601354

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Link to the Radium one, por favor?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Hmmm..they had one designed for external use, but I don't see it anymore.
    I used one made for a fuel cell, and fabricated a canister for it.

http://www.radiumauto.com/Dynamic-Sa...ves-P1508.aspx

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Here's how a local guy did it:

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yea, and I got mine working fairly well by a similar method. But, no matter what I did I'd get between a little or a lot of slosh out when tank was 1/2 full. So, added the anti-slosh anti roll over valve, and that started a new set of problems.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Yea, and I got mine working fairly well by a similar method. But, no matter what I did I'd get between a little or a lot of slosh out when tank was 1/2 full. So, added the anti-slosh anti roll over valve, and that started a new set of problems.
    Thinking out loud, you think if you added the expansion tank back and ran a breather filter off the expansion it would handle the sloshing? .

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yep, I think it would.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    plan C then lol

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Maybe I am an idiot but why not just cut the blue line and leave it in place?

This what I dis.
    Last edited by olemiss540; 12-04-2020 at 04:36 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I'm thinking back...but isn't the blue line connected to the evap canister up under the hood?
    I've removed that too.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    I want to remove the charcoal canister from the spare tire well because I'm going to cut it out but I need to leave the lines and the expansion tank for future use.

I'll be putting in the E46M charcoal canister when I go to CARB certify my car here in CA for S54 smog in a few years when (if) I decide to sell it.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    I wonder if I'm overthinking this.

Can't I just connect these two lines on the expansion tank? Fuel vapor would just go into the Intake Manifold?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Possible complications?
    I'm not sure how the expansion tank works (valves, one way flow, 2 way, etc), but, the manifold creates a vacuum, and at idle usually around 20mmHg. So would you be pulling vacuum on the fuel tank/system?
    And you may be effectively adding a ton of volume to the manifold/vacuum system. SO....will it effect the other vacuum controlled items? Brake booster?

My Cars
    S54 E36
    After poking a few friends that are techs, it sounds like the expansion tank holds liquid fuel. That means connecting those lines together would suck liquid fuel into the intake manifold.

I think I just need to take the time to look at all the parts on the car and where they go so I can see what makes sense to connect, cap or just bypass.

I think I want to take the vent line and run it up the neck of the gas tank, stick an inline filter in it and then cap it will a rollover valve like this guy:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-vvr

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    THat is the part I am using on my car for the vent. I did some googling the other night and it says it needs to be mounted ABOVE the fuel fill neck; mine is currently below. Might be what my issue is.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
    THat is the part I am using on my car for the vent. I did some googling the other night and it says it needs to be mounted ABOVE the fuel fill neck; mine is currently below. Might be what my issue is.
    Alright, I'll be sure to route my line higher than the gas cap.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Okay, I think this is all I need to do:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast