Thread: going to tackle the vanos this winter.. what parts should i take care of?

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M

going to tackle the vanos this winter.. what parts should i take care of?

(S54 motor)

So I've read and re-read the Beisan procedures a number of times, and am trying to figure out which ones are more preventative vs repairs. As I understand it, the options are:

- Seals
    - Oil pump disk drilled for tighter tolerances
    - Solenoid coil packs
    - Rattle repair

Seals make sense (wear / hardening over time). Oil pump disk also, given the opportunity for unannounced kaboom. Coil pack seems like a "if it ain't broke" situation, especially since it would be a rebuilt coil pack. Rattle repair -- looks like it would be putting in upgraded S62 components, but also seems like a decent amount of incremental work and I don't have the rattle at the moment...

What do you guys think? I'm also going to do the valve adjustments and valve cover + friends seal replacement, as well as new plugs.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    Check the secondary timing chain and tensioner and its pad. If worn out, replace it. Since you are there while doing the VANOS.

Don't forget to replace the gasket for the VANOS assembly.

Coil pack, if it is good,why you want to replace it ? Also it is easy to replace.

I did it on my non M. There was no noise and it had like ~120K on it. I didn't feel any difference in driving.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Because all Z3s are the same, don't you know....

OP. Oil pump drive is a given. I've seen Raj's collection of damaged parts. Scary stuff. Seals, 'magine well, you'e there. Coils? No, not unless you have a problem. You will get a failed coil that has been cut open and resoldered.

/.randy

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Because all Z3s are the same, don't you know....

OP. Oil pump drive is a given. I've seen Raj's collection of damaged parts. Scary stuff. Seals, 'magine well, you'e there. Coils? No, not unless you have a problem. You will get a failed coil that has been cut open and resoldered.
    Thanks! Rattle repair if it's not rattling? Any value in the upgraded parts? Seems like a subsequent repair would still involve tearing the whole thing apart...

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Can't say I have ever heard a VANOS rattle bad enough to worry about, M52 to S54. Add a Vortech and a solid flywheel and you'll never notice a thing.

However, Mr Forbes would be the oracle on the innards of this particular engine.

/.randy

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Kolosy, what mileage are you at? How is your engine running? My 01 S54 is at 92k and is running smoothly. I did a valve adjustment at 88k along with VCG and spark plug replacement. I was going to hold off on addressing the VANOS until the next Inspection II, but wondering if I should consider doing it sooner.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Kolosy, what mileage are you at? How is your engine running? My 01 S54 is at 92k and is running smoothly. I did a valve adjustment at 88k along with VCG and spark plug replacement. I was going to hold off on addressing the VANOS until the next Inspection II, but wondering if I should consider doing it sooner.
    she's a low miler. 66k. that said, i don't driver it over the winter, so can take my time, and have had cold start issues (no codes though). viewing it as more preventative than anything else.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Valve adjustment? Aren't they self adjusting in our cars? Or only for M engines needs adjustment? Mine is M52TU (2.5L).

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by saneesh8 View Post
    Valve adjustment? Aren't they self adjusting in our cars? Or only for M engines needs adjustment? Mine is M52TU (2.5L).
    Only the S54's require valve adjustment; the rest have hydraulic lifters.

Marty

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    Good to know. Thanks for the update MartyBtoo.