Thread: 328d DEF Delete/DPF Delete Issues and Advice

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330 CI Vert

328d DEF Delete/DPF Delete Issues and Advice

Car was throwing a code for a DPF filter, so I took it into the dealership. Dealership found that car has a DEF leak, where the DEF system enters the exhaust. Makes sense because the car has been a DEF hog for the last year, I guess it finally got bad enough to throw the code. They claim that it's not covered under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, (car has 80K miles) and they want $600+ to fix it.

I'd love to get rid of the DEF system primarily, and I'm not concerned with the environmental issues. If there is a cheap way to disconnect the DEF system, and jump out or reprogram the car to not read the DEF tank and DEF issues, would be great. If removing the DEF system requires a DPF delete, I'm willing to do that as well. If that is the case, can anyone tell me:

1) what I should expect to pay for parts only to do the DPF delete?
    2) will doing the DPF delete only (no program) throw a CIL code?
    3) will doing the DPF delete throw the car into "safe mode"?
    4) can I do the DPF delete now, and reprogram later, even if I do not get max HP out of the DPF delete?
    5) any good "how-tos" on the mod?
    Last edited by wjb21ndtown; 11-30-2020 at 11:49 AM. Reason: add info

My Cars
    1) not sure
    2) yes, and the car will go into limp mode restricting the engine
    3) yes, you will have to reprogram/tune the DDE (engine computer in a diesel)
    4) no, it has to all be done at the same time
    5) I have seen almost no information on this particular forum regarding deleting and tuning. The information is out there if you know where to look. Search Facebook groups, and perhaps even other BMW forums. The info, parts, pricing, and suppliers are out there.

Keep in mind that deleting emissions components is federally illegal. Depending on your state, you may or may not pass emissions testing. However, some states and/or counties don't require emissions tests on certain vehicles or diesels. There are many benefits to doing it, just need to keep in mind the negatives.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The other thing is to find an Independent shop to do the repair, as that's out of warranty: https://www.bimrs.org/
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    What were the exact codes?
    Deleting the DEF and/or the dpf system is a federal offense and most businesses want to avoid the heavy fines/closures associated with it.

Many of the components in the system have a 10yr / 120k mile warranty extension so it wouldn't cost you anything.

There is no hp gain from dpf delete on the 328d
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Deleting the DEF and/or the dpf system is a federal offense and most businesses want to avoid the heavy fines/closures associated with it.

Many of the components in the system have a 10yr / 120k mile warranty extension so it wouldn't cost you anything.

The F30 diesels don't have anywhere near the amount of warranty extensions as the previous 335d does. I can't think of anything that's covered aside from the EGR cooler

And as far as DPF deletes go, you are mistaken. There is a ton of power to gain from deleting the emissions and tuning.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330 CI Vert

Not sure what code it's throwing. On the dealership workorder it has:

Line... OP.... Code.... TECH.. TYPE... Description/Instructions
    #A.... S11 (Blank).... 5225.. CP ...... 5205 to pull faults

Then on the Recommended Plan it just says

Replace heated metering Line (fault for Metering Line Disconnection) $566
    Replace DEF Metering Module Assembly $610

Allegedly none of this covered on the 6 year old car with 83k miles.
    Last edited by wjb21ndtown; 12-02-2020 at 02:11 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    The F30 diesels don't have anywhere near the amount of warranty extensions as the previous 335d does. I can't think of anything that's covered aside from the EGR cooler

And as far as DPF deletes go, you are mistaken. There is a ton of power to gain from deleting the emissions and tuning.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Considering I've been tuning 328d from scratch for 2 years now with both dpf installed and not, I am not mistaken. The dpf is not a restriction. Junk tuning from tuners that don't understand the systems is the restriction.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Gents, let's try to keep with the topic here.

O.P. Most of the time you will always pay more at a Dealership than at an Indy, they tend to have an higher overhead is all, as I am sure White94RX can tell you. I for one would look at trying to keep it stock, for once you remove or change something in the emissions system, issues then will come about from it. Of course I tend to be a bit of a purist on these cars, so take that with a grain of salt as the saying goes.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Considering I've been tuning 328d from scratch for 2 years now with both dpf installed and not, I am not mistaken. The dpf is not a restriction. Junk tuning from tuners that don't understand the systems is the restriction.
    I guess I should clarify my statement to say specifically there is power to be gained from tuning. Emissions compliant or not, is a separate topic.

Back on topic. $600 for a dealership repair is not a significant amount. If $600 for a repair scares you off, then a BMW may not be for you. I routinely write estimates that are over $1k, and into the several thousands of dollars. The weakest link of the diesel powered cars is the emissions systems. Almost every E70 and 335 diesel that comes in with check engine lights is related to the emissions systems. They can be very costly to repair. I am definitely in favor of removing the components and tuning the DDE (engine computer). But there is a large up front cost to that. It just depends on what your long term plans are for the vehicle.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330 CI Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    I guess I should clarify my statement to say specifically there is power to be gained from tuning. Emissions compliant or not, is a separate topic.

Back on topic. $600 for a dealership repair is not a significant amount. If $600 for a repair scares you off, then a BMW may not be for you. I routinely write estimates that are over $1k, and into the several thousands of dollars. The weakest link of the diesel powered cars is the emissions systems. Almost every E70 and 335 diesel that comes in with check engine lights is related to the emissions systems. They can be very costly to repair. I am definitely in favor of removing the components and tuning the DDE (engine computer). But there is a large up front cost to that. It just depends on what your long term plans are for the vehicle.
    The dealership wants $600 to replace the line, another $600 to replace the module. The total is something like $1,258. That said, I'm not concerned at all about a $1,200 repair. I paid $29,500 for the car cash in 2016. Seeking an alternate was more about efficiency (increased fuel economy), convenience (getting away from DEF fluid), and performance. The knowledge of the cost of the repair, was more to let posters know what I'm up against in terms of cost, when weighing alternatives.

Looks like I'll be buying a new DEF metering Module and possibly a new metering line.

Anyone changed out either, or have any advice? Dealership said that there is a leak near the module. Looks like its going on the hoist for further investigation before I order parts.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    What month / year is your 328d? Send me a PM
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3
    Hey, may I send to you the information about mine too? I need some help here. I've changed my DFE but I cannot see the difference with the new one. I have a Ford from 2013 and I really cannot see that it is working. You know I started t think that the filter is not a good one. So I started to look for other alternatives. I have a friend who changed his 6.7 cummins dpf and egr delete kit and everything works without problems. I guess that it is because of the quality of filters and so on. I guess that I have to work with the same guys. But if you have some ideas please share them.
    Last edited by merkurios; 12-28-2020 at 03:09 AM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by merkurios View Post
    Hey, may I send to you the information about mine too? I need some help here
    For E70 X5 with the older M57?
    Those are a little different
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2014 BMW 328xd
    Ok guys, need some advice. first off, in NJ the delete is not possible as the car is tested for emissions thru inspections every 2 to 3 years. Vehicle is 2014 vintage with 157K on the clock; N47 engine. I am getting 28800 code as read by Carly and it states; "limited distance left on the Particulate filter." I just had the blue fluid pump changed as it thru a code for that, so one item is done. I have manually invoked the regeneration on the DPF several times. So, in my mind, my time with this DPF is limited. At a cost of the part of around 2K plus installation, other than delete, I am looking for alternatives. Anyone know if removal and cleaning is possible? If so anyone in the south NJ area can do this? Same with a carbon clean. FYI I did have the EGR inspection done as my vehicle was kinda caught in that with a melted intake, which BMW did cover.

I have other codes that seem to be showing up but it is more nuisance dealing in things in the Telematics rather than engine. Codes are for the following- INFO E1442C message Stat zv Klappen, INFO timeout CAN message stat gang backwards, E14414 Timeout CAN message stat zv klappen, Chassis module - INFO 4827F8 Qdm skr- correction factor wheel radius- learning condition 1. Any thoughts as to these.

My Cars
    335D 2009

335d

Curious what is with the specific euro windshield in your cars' descriptions? Is that aftermarket?

I have a 2009 335D - now has 340,000 km (I am in Canada) - just had light for one of the NOX sensor. I understand this can be a slippery slope. I understand:
    1. Replacing one NOX sensor may mean the other one needs to be replaced even if it is fine because of SW compatability;
    2. It was suggested to have the DPF filter cleaned to buy more time once I have it fixed
    3. I have the red light message telling me I have 330 kn=m to can't drive and understand it gets much moe expensive if I cross that threshold.

Any thoughts on the best approach to remedying the issues as cost effectively as possible and avoiding 3-4 trips to the shop? I really love my car, but would prefer not to invest $5K in the exhaust system alone!

Dan

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan King View Post
    Curious what is with the specific euro windshield in your cars' descriptions? Is that aftermarket?

I have a 2009 335D - now has 340,000 km (I am in Canada) - just had light for one of the NOX sensor. I understand this can be a slippery slope. I understand:
    1. Replacing one NOX sensor may mean the other one needs to be replaced even if it is fine because of SW compatability;
    2. It was suggested to have the DPF filter cleaned to buy more time once I have it fixed
    3. I have the red light message telling me I have 330 kn=m to can't drive and understand it gets much moe expensive if I cross that threshold.

Any thoughts on the best approach to remedying the issues as cost effectively as possible and avoiding 3-4 trips to the shop? I really love my car, but would prefer not to invest $5K in the exhaust system alone!

Dan
    I am going to assume the windshield comment is about my E-46's. What they do is block all UV-A and UV-B rays, which keeps the car cooler inside when the sun is out, and the A/C doesn't have to work as hard during the summer time.

1. Yes, just like oxygen sensors, you should replace in pairs.
    2. Getting the DPF sent out to be cleaned will extend the life, not sure by how long or how many years. In Germany what I tend to recommend is for people to take the car down the Autobahn with it maxed out for about an hour. While I am sure in Canada you have a speed limit, you could just lock the trans in 3rd gear and drive up/down hills for about an hour getting it good and hot to clean it out. What tends to happen is the systems notices a drop in the flow rate, as the DPF gets "clogged". This tends to be unburnt fuel, and a good hard drive will tend to burn that stuff out.
    3. Not sure if the car will go into limp mode when you hit that threshold, that would be more of an Abel question.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2014 328d
    Do you still work with the 328d s?