Thread: Car Alarm System for E36 328i

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv

Car Alarm System for E36 328i

Hi All,
    Just thinking car alarm for the E36. I used to fit them about 30 years ago. Mongoose was one, I think Cobra the other main one at the time. Only some would work with central locking and power windows was an add on to close them when arming the alarm.
    Regardless, Im sure someone out there if not everyone has a remote key alarm which will unlock/lock the car and most likely close the roof upon arming the alarm. Probably something with ultrasonics and shock sensors i guess. Or is there a nice bmw version out there that someone has come up with?
    Any Ideas or suggestions for such a system would be appreciated.
    Cheers

My Cars
    '99 M3 vert, '07 X3
    United Auto Security makes one with everything you mention. I have it along with the motion detector for the interior. Roof goes up when I arm it...
    They come with either the "switchblade" style key, a separate fob, or an E46 style key.
    I got the switchblade style because way back when I installed it I thought they were really cool (also bought a fob for my original master key) ... LOL If I did it again I would just get the E46 type with the buttons on the key.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    I have been on this board for a very long time, and one of the common problems here is the aftermarket security system that does not play well with the factory system. It can be a problem if the wires are crossed, or if the aftermarket system is trying to do one thing while the factory anti-theft system is trying to do something else. Personally, I wonder how much you have to worry about someone stealing a car that's 25 years old. Having a push-button door lock and unlock is certainly a useful feature, but is it really worth it? And if there's a wire crossed that causes nothing but headaches, is it REALLY worth it?

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv

Distance kills...

Quote Originally Posted by jamrobin View Post
    United Auto Security makes one with everything you mention. I have it along with the motion detector for the interior. Roof goes up when I arm it...
    They come with either the "switchblade" style key, a separate fob, or an E46 style key.
    I got the switchblade style because way back when I installed it I thought they were really cool (also bought a fob for my original master key) ... LOL If I did it again I would just get the E46 type with the buttons on the key.
    LOL, I forget to mention, im In Australia. Seems united Auto security is a tad far away.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,
    Only picked it up Yesterday, and my first convertible. Always worried about knuckleheads stealing from them. Thus was thinking straight away, alarm, and if youre gonna do that. you want clever stuff like put the roof up and wind the windows up etc. Keyless entry A must, but safety is key. I was unaware there is a factory system in the car. How would i check this. Go and give it a thump?

My Cars
    '99 M3 vert, '07 X3
    LOL yeah that's a bit far.

It does come in a fairly small box... About the size of a commercial loaf of bread. Install is almost plug and play with the caveat that if you have the 18 button OBC and want to double up on the start disable you have to add a single wire to the ZKE module (but it isn't mandatory just an extra bother for a determined thief LOL).
    The keys don't come with transponders but I ordered 5 from China for something like $3 CDN. You can program them with a regular AK90 alternatively just get the key fobs and use your own keys.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv

Alarm....

Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    I have been on this board for a very long time, and one of the common problems here is the aftermarket security system that does not play well with the factory system. It can be a problem if the wires are crossed, or if the aftermarket system is trying to do one thing while the factory anti-theft system is trying to do something else. Personally, I wonder how much you have to worry about someone stealing a car that's 25 years old. Having a push-button door lock and unlock is certainly a useful feature, but is it really worth it? And if there's a wire crossed that causes nothing but headaches, is it REALLY worth it?
    I was unaware there was an alarm already there. Perhaps i can leave that, and get a remote for open close the roof and windows and unlock the doors? Hmmmm.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv

Then Again

Quote Originally Posted by OzDrDj View Post
    I was unaware there was an alarm already there. Perhaps i can leave that, and get a remote for open close the roof and windows and unlock the doors? Hmmmm.
    I have been looking all over to figure this out. Some people tell me the 328i E36 had a keyless entry system. Some people tell me it was an add on. Some say, the us version it was add on and others say the euro version had it built into the BCM.
    I don't know whats what here really. I guess this is all in the handbook that comes with the car eh. But I didnt get that, Only a car and a grey key with no buttons.
    So, Do I or Don't I have keyless entry already? Did I get robbed a key? Or do I just look into a keyless entry system that will wind up the windows and close the roof.
    Cheers
    PS, there is a Red LED mounted in the centre console, but it doesn't seem to do anything,

My Cars
    '99 M3 vert, '07 X3
    I don't think it was "standard equipment". If you check the BMW VIN decoder it will say for sure if your car has it.
    Comfort Option you can check by parking with the top open, insert the key in the driver door (not sure about passenger?) and hold it in the lock position. If the top goes up you have the Comfort Option... Which I THINK includes keyless entry but NOT necessarily alarm.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    I don't think it was "standard equipment". If you check the BMW VIN decoder it will say for sure if your car has it.
    Comfort Option you can check by parking with the top open, insert the key in the driver door (not sure about passenger?) and hold it in the lock position. If the top goes up you have the Comfort Option... Which I THINK includes keyless entry but NOT necessarily alarm.
    Tried the Vin Decoder...

214 Automatic Stability Control+traction Aut.stabil.-control+traktion(asc+t)
    240 Leather Steering Wheel Lederlenkrad
    243 Airbag For Front Passenger Airbag Fuer Beifahrer
    246 Steering Column Adjustment Mechanical Lenksaeulenverstellung Mechanisch
    260 Side Airbag Driver/frt Passenger Seitenairbag Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
    297 Lt/aly Wheels/streamline Lm Raeder/streamline
    305 Remote Control For Central Locking Fernbedienung F.zentralveriegelung
    341 Bumpers Completely In Body Colour Stossfaenger Komplett In Wagenfarbe
    345 Chrome Line Interior Chrome Line Interieur
    354 Green Stripe Windscreen Gruenkeil-frontscheibe
    380 Hardtop Preparation Hardtop-vorbereitung
    388 Softtop Black Verdeck Schwarz
    399 Softtop Operation, Fully Automatic Verdeckbetaetigung Vollautomatisch
    411 Window Lifts, Electric Fensterheber,elektrisch Vorn/hinten
    423 Floor Mats, Velour Fussmatten In Velours
    431 Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d Innenspiegel,automatisch Abblendend
    441 Smokers Package Raucherpaket
    473 Armrest, Front Armauflage Vorn
    481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger Sportsitze Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
    498 Headrests In Rear, Mechanic. Adjustable Kopfstuetzen Im Fond

510 Headlight Beam-throw Contr. F Low Beam Leuchtweitenregelung Abblendlicht
    520 Foglights Nebelscheinwerfer
    534 Automatic Air Conditioning Klimaautomatik
    540 Cruise Control Geschwindigkeitsregelung
    542 Check Control Check Control
    548 Speedometer With Kilometer Reading Kilometertacho
    554 On-board Computer Bordcomputer
    676 Hifi Loudspeaker System Hifi Lautsprechersystem
    687 Radio Preparation Radiovorbereitung
    785 White Direction Indicator Lights Weisse Blinkleuchten
    810 Australia Version Australien-ausfuehrung
    818 Main Battery Switch Batteriehauptschalter
    823 Hot Climate Version Heissland-ausfuehrung
    853 Language Version English Sprachversion Englisch
    864 Overseas/dealer Directory Service Kontakt-flyer Uebersee
    876 Radio Frequency 315 Mhz Funkfrequenz 315 Mhz
    880 English / On-board Documentation Englisch / Bordliteratur
    925 Shipping Protection Package Versandschutzpaket
    940 Special Request Equipment Sonderwunsch Ausstattung

According to Hoyle.... I have a fully automatic top, and a remote for keyless entry.
    However I only got the grey key. So I guess I have to contact BMW for the remote key.

Tried the key lock, Lock the car, then turn to lock again and hold. After a few seconds it just went click click click click
    like tit was trying to lock the dorrs again and again.

Life is full of mysteries.

My Cars
    '99 M3 vert, '07 X3
    Did you try that with the roof open or closed?
    I don't see "Comfort Open" in the list you posted but then again I don't know what the Aussie or Hot Climate versions include.

My Cars
    99M3 Convertible
    I have a project on my list to build a comfort close/open module that taps into into the existing alarm using an arduino. The hardware is cheap and shouldn't be too difficult, just have to learn the programming.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    Did you try that with the roof open or closed?
    I don't see "Comfort Open" in the list you posted but then again I don't know what the Aussie or Hot Climate versions include.
    Roof was open

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    Good Luck, I was thinking about this, but diferent, there are several remote switches on ebay. once i find if i have a remote keyless entry thing, BMW seem to be slow in their response. Add the remote key plus windows key plus top key plus garage door remote all to one multi remote. or something like that.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    Ok, after much searching mucking around wailing and gnashing of teeth. We have deduced that the car has an alarm fitted. There is a broken red led next to the Convertible Top Switch. This broken led has 4 wires going to it. Suggesting it is a switch as well as an led. these 4 wires run back up the left hand side inside the lower console.
    Guessing to a control box of some sort.
    The car has remote central locking. Of course the car only came to me with the valet key. So I managed to program a new key to unlock the car. But the battery went flat after a week. Cant get it cut and the chip programmed here in Grafton, they are all dumb, and BMW want $750 for a new key.
    Purchased an a90+ key programmer and a dremil today. Will try to cut my own key and program it.
    Hopefully that works, but i dont know how this would work with the fitted alarm?
    All very strange.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    I had a pair of '94 E36s and another pair of '00 E46s. All of them could open or close the windows by using the key in the lock and holding it in the direction desired, lock to close the windows, unlock to open them. All of these cars would disable the ignition whenever the doors were locked from the outside. (Lock the doors from the outside while the driver side window is down, then reach your arm in the window and put the key into the ignition and start the car. It will not start.) This is a factory feature.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    I had a pair of '94 E36s and another pair of '00 E46s. All of them could open or close the windows by using the key in the lock and holding it in the direction desired, lock to close the windows, unlock to open them. All of these cars would disable the ignition whenever the doors were locked from the outside. (Lock the doors from the outside while the driver side window is down, then reach your arm in the window and put the key into the ignition and start the car. It will not start.) This is a factory feature.
    Hi,
    Strangely enough, My E36 wont do that with the Key. I used to have a E38 740il and it would, eithe with the double click of the remote or the double lock of the key, wind up the windows, close the roof, lock the doors.
    I dont know why its not in the E36 Convertible.
    It would be pretty if with the double click of the keylock, the roof would go up and the windows wind up. But hey....

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    Hi,
    Strangely enough, My E36 wont do that with the Key. I used to have a E38 740il and it would, eithe with the double click of the remote or the double lock of the key, wind up the windows, close the roof, lock the doors.
    It would be pretty if with the double click of the keylock, the roof would go up and the windows wind up. But hey....

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Hi,

I stand corrected, or at least confused. My E36 sedan would put the windows up, I don't know if they would go down. I had to hold the key to the lock position to make the windows go up.

I forget if my E36 'vert would operate the windows. Since I kept the top down 300 days a year, I did not spend much time working the windows when the car was parked. I have an E93 now, and the windows do not operate by the key/remote, and the roof does not close.

But, both of my E36s would not start if they had been locked, until they were unlocked. Nobody could break into the car and get it started, they had to have the key.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    Interesting. I Did lock the doors with the key and started playing around with things from outside the car. Interior lights Map Lights headlights. Nothing works. Hahahaha.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Tried the Vin Decoder...

214 Automatic Stability Control+traction Aut.stabil.-control+traktion(asc+t)
    240 Leather Steering Wheel Lederlenkrad
    243 Airbag For Front Passenger Airbag Fuer Beifahrer
    246 Steering Column Adjustment Mechanical Lenksaeulenverstellung Mechanisch
    260 Side Airbag Driver/frt Passenger Seitenairbag Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
    297 Lt/aly Wheels/streamline Lm Raeder/streamline
    305 Remote Control For Central Locking Fernbedienung F.zentralveriegelung
    341 Bumpers Completely In Body Colour Stossfaenger Komplett In Wagenfarbe
    345 Chrome Line Interior Chrome Line Interieur
    354 Green Stripe Windscreen Gruenkeil-frontscheibe
    380 Hardtop Preparation Hardtop-vorbereitung
    388 Softtop Black Verdeck Schwarz
    399 Softtop Operation, Fully Automatic Verdeckbetaetigung Vollautomatisch
    411 Window Lifts, Electric Fensterheber,elektrisch Vorn/hinten
    423 Floor Mats, Velour Fussmatten In Velours
    431 Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d Innenspiegel,automatisch Abblendend
    441 Smokers Package Raucherpaket
    473 Armrest, Front Armauflage Vorn
    481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger Sportsitze Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
    498 Headrests In Rear, Mechanic. Adjustable Kopfstuetzen Im Fond

510 Headlight Beam-throw Contr. F Low Beam Leuchtweitenregelung Abblendlicht
    520 Foglights Nebelscheinwerfer
    534 Automatic Air Conditioning Klimaautomatik
    540 Cruise Control Geschwindigkeitsregelung
    542 Check Control Check Control
    548 Speedometer With Kilometer Reading Kilometertacho
    554 On-board Computer Bordcomputer
    676 Hifi Loudspeaker System Hifi Lautsprechersystem
    687 Radio Preparation Radiovorbereitung
    785 White Direction Indicator Lights Weisse Blinkleuchten
    810 Australia Version Australien-ausfuehrung
    818 Main Battery Switch Batteriehauptschalter
    823 Hot Climate Version Heissland-ausfuehrung
    853 Language Version English Sprachversion Englisch
    864 Overseas/dealer Directory Service Kontakt-flyer Uebersee
    876 Radio Frequency 315 Mhz Funkfrequenz 315 Mhz
    880 English / On-board Documentation Englisch / Bordliteratur
    925 Shipping Protection Package Versandschutzpaket
    940 Special Request Equipment Sonderwunsch Ausstattung

According to Hoyle.... I have a fully automatic top, and a remote for keyless entry.
    However I only got the grey key. So I guess I have to contact BMW for the remote key.

Tried the key lock, Lock the car, then turn to lock again and hold. After a few seconds it just went click click click click
    like tit was trying to lock the dorrs again and again.

Life is full of mysteries.
    That VIN decoder does not show the option for remote access and/or alarm, which would be

S300A Central locking with antitheft system
    S302A Alarm system (for the 'EU'factory alarm system with keyfob)
    S305A Remote control for central locking
    S306A Remote control for central locking

Depening on country your master key maybe have a light with seperate fob with 2 or 3 buttons, or the 'EU' keyfob.

ews2key_03.jpg
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    The Car does have Central Locking, I now have a Master key that sort of works. Local Locksmith figured out my Vehicles Key Code, Got a Key number and Cut a Cheap Ebay Blank for me. So the Remote locks and unlocks the car, (or did, another story) but won't start the car yet due to the little chip, I have the AK90+ Programmer but am a bit scared to go pulling ICs out of cars. There is a Flashing Led light and switch next to the Convertible Top Switch, but it is broken. It connects via 4 wires to something, guessing the aftermarket alarm, but don't know where that is.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I'm just saying based on your VIN you don't have a remote/keyless entry. What someone built into the car at some later point, is something else.

The factory alarm led (flat) only has +12v and earth connected. If you have the led bulb that can be pushed down, is some different system. BMW offered a couple of dealer installed systems, like Toad/Sigma/3G. Seeing your from Australia, could be something totally different.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    Perhaps the system is in the car and not activated, but it is certainly the BMW Keyless entry system I have working now. Ive Purchased the OBD Reader for the E36 It even reads the key numbers programmed into the thing that was inside the mirror. Had the BMW Keys redone with the Key number by a local locksmith for the master key and have coded it with the AK90+ Doover, used the BMW Key set proceedure to match it to the car, and all is working happily.