Thread: Oil filter housing/cooler removal issue- 2010 E61

My Cars
    2010 535XI wagon

Oil filter housing/cooler removal issue- 2010 E61

KIMG2278[1].jpgKIMG2279[2].jpg

Hey, all
    I have the standard oil leak on my 2010 E61 wagon (twin turbo, AWD). I am trying to replace the gaskets for the cooler and the cooler-to-block connection. I was able to get the cooler seal replaced, but there are two screws for the cooler-to-block connection that are surrounded by the intake manifold.

I've watched a bunch of videos on this repair, but none of them have any issues getting to the attachment screws. Most of the videos have a different cooler housing, too, so...

Anyway, does anyone have a way to get at those two screws without removing the intake manifold?

If not, how involved/difficult is removing the intake manifold?

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    About 6 nuts secure the intake. Remove them. Don’t drop them. The rear is a little trouble. Lift manifold up about 2” and you can get at the OFH bolt on that side. No need to fully remove the manifold. Use flashlight to check that all gaskets are in place when you slide it back down the studs.

Another common leak point is the short oil cooler hose from the housing to the cooler. The one on the right as you face the car. It is bent in a U. The crimp fails. Oil drips onto the fan housing, then onto belts, and then gets flicked around. The other hose does not seem to suffer any issues.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 11-28-2020 at 09:09 AM.

My Cars
    2010 535XI wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    About 6 nuts secure the intake. Remove them. Don’t drop them. The rear is a little trouble. Lift manifold up about 2” and you can get at the OFH bolt on that side. No need to fully remove the manifold. Use flashlight to check that all gaskets are in place when you slide it back down the studs.

Another common leak point is the short oil cooler hose from the housing to the cooler. The one on the right as you face the car. It is bent in a U. The crimp fails. Oil drips onto the fan housing, then onto belts, and then gets flicked around. The other hose does not seem to suffer any issues.
    Thanks for the info!
    I was afraid the intake manifold might have some coolant going through it or something requiring a gasket replacement.
    I am just chasing leaks at this point. I've found the cooler and oil filter cap leaking. I have not found any other leaks, yet, but those two are not small. Once those are clear, I'll have a better chance of chasing down any other ones.