Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS Exciting handling improvements, Stering arms, K-Bars & Adjustable camber plates

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    How much for the steering box?
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    850i-6sp, MR2-T, SC400
    Glad to see the post resurrected as I have been wanting to post my experience. I purchased the quick steering arms and installed them early this year on my 91 850i 6-speed, and it made a huge difference in how the car feels when turning. The best way I can describe it is it now feels like a car that is 500 lbs lighter. (makes we wonder what it would feel like if it was actually 500 lbs lighter!!) I also have a 98 Lexus SC400 with Supra MKIV suspension, which is similar in size, power, and suspension configuration, but weighs about 500 lbs less than the BMW. Although I think the BMW suspension is more sophisticated with more compliance than the Lexus, it was never as enjoyable to drive as the Lexus on the twisty's. I was not sure why this was, but thought weight was likely a large contributor, but the rack and pinion box on the Lexus might also have something to do with the difference as well. The steering was also felt less precise on the BMW and seemed a little vague, especially when turning off-center. Now, with the quick steering arms, the turn in is more immediate and with more precision. And because the power assist is much less on the BMW, it actually feels better than the Lexus now. And I haven't noticed any degradation of feel or excessive need to correct at higher speeds on the highway. Cruising is still enjoyable. I also installed these arms myself without any problems. I do have a lift which helps a lot for ease of access, as there are a lot of parts that need to be disconnected and/or removed. It would be wise to replace any other high mileage/worn front suspension parts at the same time.

I should also add that I installed the K-bars as well on my car, but did so about two years before installing the quick steering arms. I did get an expected improvement from after installing the K-bars, but they did not change how the steering felt on turn in. But I do also recommend an upgrade from stock sway bars. I'm sure they contribute to the lighter feel, but it wasn't noticeable until I installed the quick steering arms.

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    What’s the difference between “quick arms” and Phoenix Motorsport “bump steer” plates?

My Cars
    540iT 840Ci 850Ci 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBobo View Post
    What’s the difference between “quick arms” and Phoenix Motorsport “bump steer” plates?

I will try to keep this simple, so please try to follow along.
    The front suspension has several links plus the strut. When the wheel moves up and down, these components are all swinging through different arc's., and because of this, it's possible for the wheel to move away from the desired Toe setting, if the suspension position calculations are not correct. If it does move, this is undesirable, and its called Bumpsteer.

When the manufacture is considering their suspension, they also consider what height they want the car to run at.......it's called 'The Ride Height'. So they will position all the links to minimize the Bumpsteer at their desired Ride Height.
    Our beloved E31's were delivered with a Ride Height that a lot of us consider too high, so we lower the car. When we lower the car, it moves the suspension links so they now swing through different arc's and this introduces some undesirable Bumpsteer.
    There is a plate bolted to the bottom of the strut, and there are 3 links attached to this plate.......another name for this plate is "The Steering Arm"
    The Phoenix plates are inserted between the bottom of the strut and the steering arm plate, to lower that plate (along with the 3 links attached to it) and hence compensate for us lowering the car, and this removes the unwanted Bumpsteer.
    Our Quick Arms are made to exactly replicate this lower Steering Arm Plate except it relocates the Toe-Link attachment point (one of the 3 links attached to the plate) closer to the strut, so it will make the road wheel move quicker for the same movement of the steering wheel.

Do you understand........... the Phoenix plate compensates for lowering the car, the Quick Arms make the steering response quicker......two unrelated issues that each need a different solution
    Last edited by Rich8; 09-06-2022 at 10:12 PM.

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    I am running bump steer plates and quick arms on my car.
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bdiefAZ View Post
    I am running bump steer plates and quick arms on my car.
    Understood, thanks to you both.

My Cars
    540iT 840Ci 850Ci 540i
    Small price increase

These Quick Arms have been flying off the shelf, and another new batch has just come in.
    Unfortunately, the material and machine costs have gone up, so we are forced to raise the cost for a pair of arms up to $648.
    We hate to do this, and although our main objective with this produce was always to give a fantastic upgrade to our E31, E32 & E34 communities, we have to cover our costs. We cannot continue to sell them at a loss.
    Again, we are very sorry, and hopefully our continued availability to answer any questions on the QA's and any E31 suspension questions, helps justify your investment.
    If you PM us, we will give out a phone number to contact us.
    Last edited by Rich8; 10-12-2022 at 12:46 AM.

My Cars
    2012 X5d
    Possibly interested in quick arms and rear shock tower reinforcement plates if available.

My Cars
    540iT 840Ci 850Ci 540i
    Both items are available and ready to ship immediately.
    $648 & $68 plus $19 S&H. $735
    Please send the funds through Zelle or Venmo using our phone number 9496360118

My Cars
    540iT 840Ci 850Ci 540i

My Cars
    2012 X5d
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich8 View Post
    PM sent. Thank you.

My Cars
    2012 X5d
    Quick arms and rear shock tower reinforcement plates arrived today. Parts look amazing! I'll update the thread with feedback on the quick steer arms once they're installed.

My Cars
    540iT 840Ci 850Ci 540i

Still have the Quick arms in stock

Quote Originally Posted by mfgguy View Post
    Glad to see the post resurrected as I have been wanting to post my experience. I purchased the quick steering arms and installed them early this year on my 91 850i 6-speed, and it made a huge difference in how the car feels when turning. The best way I can describe it is it now feels like a car that is 500 lbs lighter. (makes we wonder what it would feel like if it was actually 500 lbs lighter!!) I also have a 98 Lexus SC400 with Supra MKIV suspension, which is similar in size, power, and suspension configuration, but weighs about 500 lbs less than the BMW. Although I think the BMW suspension is more sophisticated with more compliance than the Lexus, it was never as enjoyable to drive as the Lexus on the twisty's. I was not sure why this was, but thought weight was likely a large contributor, but the rack and pinion box on the Lexus might also have something to do with the difference as well. The steering was also felt less precise on the BMW and seemed a little vague, especially when turning off-center. Now, with the quick steering arms, the turn in is more immediate and with more precision. And because the power assist is much less on the BMW, it actually feels better than the Lexus now. And I haven't noticed any degradation of feel or excessive need to correct at higher speeds on the highway. Cruising is still enjoyable. I also installed these arms myself without any problems. I do have a lift which helps a lot for ease of access, as there are a lot of parts that need to be disconnected and/or removed. It would be wise to replace any other high mileage/worn front suspension parts at the same time.

I should also add that I installed the K-bars as well on my car, but did so about two years before installing the quick steering arms. I did get an expected improvement from after installing the K-bars, but they did not change how the steering felt on turn in. But I do also recommend an upgrade from stock sway bars. I'm sure they contribute to the lighter feel, but it wasn't noticeable until I installed the quick steering arms.
    Stefan & Brian
    originally we made some of these arms just for our own cars, and then because they worked so well, it was decided to make some more for the E31 community. These are CNC'ed from solid Structural Steel, and then get a special coating; we really don't make much profit & we have a few set still in stock. Plus we have a few sets of the K-Bar sway bars left as well.
    Thanks Stefan & Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12