Thread: Planning some work down under

My Cars
    '02 530i w/Sport

Planning some work down under

Getting ready to do some work under the chassis so had a few ?s. Will probably have a few more as time goes on. Need to rebuild the shift linkage and replace the CV gasket and inspect and possibly replace the CSB/guibo. I'll also hopefully be able to replace the shift shaft seal (plan on puncturing it with a pick, then inserting an angle pick to pull it). I'll be removing the exhaust and DS (keeping everything oriented the same). I've removed/inspected/reinstalled the exhaust nuts and the studs are still in good condition with plenty of solid thread, I'll be using new nuts when finished. So to start with....

On the CV joint boot the muffler clamp (why muffler on a DS???); can that be installed without special tools? I have the Oetiker pliers for Oetiker clamps....hoping I don't have to worry about another set of specialized pliers.

The selector rod joint; I can replace it or save myself about $50 and just replace the washers/clip and the foam bushing. Thoughts on either way? One post I read stated it is difficult to install the new bushing inside the joint.

The shift lever bushing; I've read about the Delrin (sp?) bushings. I don't need perfection and I doubt the car will get another 50K miles on it by me (I've put on 200K+) is it worth it? I thoroughly enjoyed the shift when the car was new with the OEM bushings.

The CV joint nuts. Do these have to be new ($5/each!)? They look like standard rib nuts. I have zilch corrosion on this car so I'm guessing they're in pretty good condition.

The nuts for the guibo, they look like they need to be new whenever replaced. Am I correct in what I am reading?

Will pretty much order most new parts for everything and only replace what is worn/damaged by me during removal. Then return the unused.
    Last edited by FireTumbleweed; 11-27-2020 at 03:28 PM.

My Cars
    '02 530i w/Sport
    OK, maybe I'll ask just one question at a time....

The selector rod joint on my shift linkage; I can replace it or save myself about $50 and just replace the washers/clip and the inside foam bushing. Any advantages either way? One post I read stated it is difficult to install the new bushing inside the joint.

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    One comment - for the Guibo, alignment is important. I have a link somewhere. I think many of us have re-used the bolts.

My Cars
    '02 530i w/Sport
    If your referencing keeping the alignment of the DS the same for each half, then yes that will be securely marked for reassembly. Good to hear about the bolts/nuts.