Thread: 2009 335i dinan convertible in minor traffic/speedbump collision.

My Cars
    18 BMW X5, 09 335i dinan

Wink 2009 335i dinan convertible in minor traffic/speedbump collision.

Hi! My name is Alyssa & I'm new to the forum.

I have done a lot of reading, and have picked up quite a bit of knowledge on way. (thanks!)

However, I still am in need of some advice/help on my situation. To make a long story short, I was driving about 30 MPH with my top down while making a wide right turn onto another street. My front driver's side rim was severely damaged, my driver's wheel airbag deployed, along with the knee airbag- (right below the steering wheel, see photos) Lastly the 2 silver poles popped up in the rear behind the backseat headrests.

Unfortunately my mechanic does not work on these types of issues, so I'm here to hopefully get some insight & to see what all my options are.

Thank you very much, any help is very much appreciated.

(Please excuse the dust & dirt- it did sit for almost a day with the top down in a tow-yard. Also these photos are just screenshots from my iphone video recordings. If higher quality photos will help, or anything I missed I will gladly retake them. Thanks again!)

https://ibb.co/DW16HKj
    https://ibb.co/h8153fb
    https://ibb.co/nf3d8n4
    https://ibb.co/cc1yC6D
    https://ibb.co/FDpKXcT
    https://ibb.co/vJFw2pQ
    https://ibb.co/XsBnRLm
    https://ibb.co/LQBcD6Q
    https://ibb.co/vkHvX0g
    https://ibb.co/6FdZQgQ - I think this is my rim?
    Last edited by Barbie; 11-27-2020 at 12:22 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    None of that looks very serious. Expensive, but not serious. You do not show any body damage in your images, but the airbags and roll bars that deployed will require a body shop to replace. We could talk you through installing air bags, but there is a circuit reset that will be required, and the software package that does this kind of thing is not something that you would buy for your own tool collection. It appears that you found the proper wheel, that's pretty good. Search this for all of the wheels that BMW has ever used, when you find yours it will be listed as Style 220 or Style 234, whatever. You can then search eBay for your style and avoid getting hits for something that's not going to match.

It looks like you want Style 269

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/269
    Last edited by JDStrickland; 11-27-2020 at 07:21 PM.

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    What did you hit that made the airbags go off?

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
    What did you hit that made the airbags go off?

She hit the curb. Hard.

- - - Updated - - -

You really need to get the body shop involved in this car, with the severe damage to the wheel, it's pretty easy to imagine frame damage that needs repair.

My Cars
    18 BMW X5, 09 335i dinan
    I hit the center divider that was in the middle of street I was turning right on.

Yes, hit the curb. The only damage is though to the rim- which I know I need to replace. Along with the 2 deployed airbags.
    I just don't want to get ripped off since I'm not that educated about cars, also I'm not going through insurance.

Thx

My Cars
    18 BMW X5, 09 335i dinan
    Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.
    I am choose not to go through insurance & will be paying out of pocket- so out of curiosity, when you say "expensive" , do you have a rough/ballpark idea?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    What he means by expensive is the driver's airbag alone will be over 800 bucks. The rim if bought new will also run about 600 bucks, you might be able to find a used one on Ebay for half that.

So if you are wanting to pay roughly 2k just for parts, plus labor of an hour or two out of pocket, maybe it's worth paying the deductible and calling it a day.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    18 BMW X5, 09 335i dinan
    Thanks for the reply. To be honest, the reason I can't go through insurance is my license had a hold on it & wasn't valid- lol So I don't really have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    What he means by expensive is the driver's airbag alone will be over 800 bucks. The rim if bought new will also run about 600 bucks, you might be able to find a used one on Ebay for half that.

So if you are wanting to pay roughly 2k just for parts, plus labor of an hour or two out of pocket, maybe it's worth paying the deductible and calling it a day.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbie View Post
    Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.
    I am choose not to go through insurance & will be paying out of pocket- so out of curiosity, when you say "expensive" , do you have a rough/ballpark idea?

Airbags are hundreds of dollars, multiple hundreds. I'm not sure what the rim is going to cost, but I can easily see this as $500. The SRS (airbag fault) must be reset by a special scanner that is generally not available to the public, and if you buy the diagnostic package that can do this reset, it's something that you will likely never use again.

You know, you can pay for the repairs and resetting of the computer, but you still need a body shop.

I think I decided that your wheel is Style 269, you can use that information to find another wheel on eBay, you will want to be certain that you get the correct one, Front, E90, 3 Series. (The E60, 5 Series is different.) The same wheel style is available in an 18 inch, but you do not want this one, you need the 19 inch version. My casual observation of the damage to the wheel says that you very likely did other damage to the suspension. One of the things they do to spread the affects of an impact so the impact does not get to the passenger compartment can result in frame damage that may or may not be repairable. Before you start dropping some serious coin, you should get the car inspected. My kid drove her car into the back of a pickup truck, no damage to the truck, but the simple damage to her car was actually a near total loss. I started buying parts, then I found the next part, then the next, then the next. I got to the point where I was buying parts because I was heavily invested in the previous parts. Damage that could not be seen turned out to be significant, and selling the car for parts would have been the smarter thing to do. You really need to look at the front suspension components for stuff that's broken, and for the anchoring points (frame) to be bent. If there was an insurance claim, the carrier would cap repairs at about 70% of the current (pre-crash) value. For example, the car is worth $8000, 8000 x 0.7 = $5600, this means at that value they will cap repairs.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...wheel&_sacat=0

You can use www.realoem.com to find the airbag part numbers, then contact the dealership for pricing. I do not know one way or the other that you can even buy an airbag, it's entirely possible that this is the kind of thing that only a body shop is allowed to buy. You can ask, but I think you cannot buy them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put them in, you just need to disconnect the Negative terminal of the battery, then locate the screws that hold them in. They are all packaged to fit into a specific space, so you just unscrew one and screw in the next. The side curtains will need the interior covers, for an extra fee.

IN A RELATED TOPIC
    If you decide to not make repairs to this car, I'm looking for the factory anti-theft system. If your car chirps when you lock it, I would like to buy the siren and controller module.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post

The airbag cost is unknown to me, but I'm not surprised at the figure you give for the steering wheel bag, the side curtain is likely to cost at least the same, and probably more. The rim is $600 for a used one on ebay. With the interior trim to cover the side curtain, I can easily see this damage being $3000, plus any labor and a tire, probably two tires because nobody buys just one. $4000 is not out of the question.

My Cars
    18 BMW X5, 09 335i dinan
    WOW, a HUGE thank you. I really appreciate you going into such great detail- so kind of you. I will be towing the car to get a better idea, and I will keep you in mind for the "car chirp?" for you. Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    Airbags are hundreds of dollars, multiple hundreds. I'm not sure what the rim is going to cost, but I can easily see this as $500. The SRS (airbag fault) must be reset by a special scanner that is generally not available to the public, and if you buy the diagnostic package that can do this reset, it's something that you will likely never use again.

You know, you can pay for the repairs and resetting of the computer, but you still need a body shop.

I think I decided that your wheel is Style 269, you can use that information to find another wheel on eBay, you will want to be certain that you get the correct one, Front, E90, 3 Series. (The E60, 5 Series is different.) The same wheel style is available in an 18 inch, but you do not want this one, you need the 19 inch version. My casual observation of the damage to the wheel says that you very likely did other damage to the suspension. One of the things they do to spread the affects of an impact so the impact does not get to the passenger compartment can result in frame damage that may or may not be repairable. Before you start dropping some serious coin, you should get the car inspected. My kid drove her car into the back of a pickup truck, no damage to the truck, but the simple damage to her car was actually a near total loss. I started buying parts, then I found the next part, then the next, then the next. I got to the point where I was buying parts because I was heavily invested in the previous parts. Damage that could not be seen turned out to be significant, and selling the car for parts would have been the smarter thing to do. You really need to look at the front suspension components for stuff that's broken, and for the anchoring points (frame) to be bent. If there was an insurance claim, the carrier would cap repairs at about 70% of the current (pre-crash) value. For example, the car is worth $8000, 8000 x 0.7 = $5600, this means at that value they will cap repairs.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...wheel&_sacat=0

You can use www.realoem.com to find the airbag part numbers, then contact the dealership for pricing. I do not know one way or the other that you can even buy an airbag, it's entirely possible that this is the kind of thing that only a body shop is allowed to buy. You can ask, but I think you cannot buy them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put them in, you just need to disconnect the Negative terminal of the battery, then locate the screws that hold them in. They are all packaged to fit into a specific space, so you just unscrew one and screw in the next. The side curtains will need the interior covers, for an extra fee.

IN A RELATED TOPIC
    If you decide to not make repairs to this car, I'm looking for the factory anti-theft system. If your car chirps when you lock it, I would like to buy the siren and controller module.
    - - - Updated - - -

The blue book is around 15k. Plus I do have a very strong sentimental value to the car itself. So I'm hoping it won't be more than a few grand. I will let you know though. Thank you again. Happy Holidays.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    The airbag cost is unknown to me, but I'm not surprised at the figure you give for the steering wheel bag, the side curtain is likely to cost at least the same, and probably more. The rim is $600 for a used one on ebay. With the interior trim to cover the side curtain, I can easily see this damage being $3000, plus any labor and a tire, probably two tires because nobody buys just one. $4000 is not out of the question.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbie View Post
    WOW, a HUGE thank you. I really appreciate you going into such great detail- so kind of you. I will be towing the car to get a better idea, and I will keep you in mind for the "car chirp?" for you. Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

The blue book is around 15k. Plus I do have a very strong sentimental value to the car itself. So I'm hoping it won't be more than a few grand. I will let you know though. Thank you again. Happy Holidays.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting the value of your car, I was only illustrating the math that you need to know when you are deciding on whether or not you might consider making the repairs.