Thread: Center console question

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3

Center console question

I hate the cup holders in the back configuration on my 96. I finally found a reasonably priced OEM replacement from a later model that has the cup holders in the front, along with a little removeable insert ring to hold differing size cups. And, it has coin holders in the very front. Looking at it, there is a difference in the floorplan. My console has a portion that sticks out behind the parking brake with a small rectangular storage hole (and it is small). The one I purchased doesn't have that - it just goes straight back. Does anyone know if this will just bolt on? I assume if it bolts on I can cover the rear behind the parking brake lever with a piece of carpet.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Can you post a photo of it?

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Yes it will, you may need to add a metal clip nut to the console under the new unit at the rear large storage pocket. It'll be obvious to you when you remove the old one.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Can't you go over to leatherZ.com and get a proper armrest with a cupholder in a useful position?

https://www.leatherz.com/products/ma...nt=20929248385
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    Can't you go over to leatherZ.com and get a proper armrest with a cupholder in a useful position?

https://www.leatherz.com/products/ma...nt=20929248385
    That's the one he got, can add the Mk2 armrest to it.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Thanks all. Here's the one I have:

console2.jpg

And here's the one I ordered:

console1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Looks nice, but cost is a factor for me. Just keep pouring in cash: this week a couple of hundred for brake lines and stuff. And my list is endless... so compromises are made.
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I would much rather get the one that Jon/Andy had blow molded. I have every other option just because I'm insane, but the one they made is the most useful and you can stick your phone in the slot in the front.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    I would much rather get the one that Jon/Andy had blow molded.
    Yes, I'd like it too, but I also need 2 cupholders. I note they're also still selling the one I got on ebay, new, with limited availability since it's no longer in production, for $295. Three centibucks buys the Lemforder suspension kit I want. Choices, choices... And down the road, when all the mechanicals are done, there's still the 3 kilobucks I want to fix all the scratches and get a new paint job. Once that's all done, I'll come back to upgrading things. In the meantime, there's always creative uses of old parts and my dremel tool. Like buzz off the coin holders (and who, in their right mind uses coin holders in a convertible?) then buzz out a square hole, then saw off the "pocket" in the old console, and maybe get that cell phone pocket....

Coin holders: maybe the OE's didn't have to worry about leaving it with the valet at the country club, but down at Jethro's BBQ here in Iowa, that's asking for trouble.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    ... Here's the one I have... And here's the one I ordered...
    The OE one you have is missing the two lids that make it an arm rest. I still have mine, but did not like the rear location of the two cupholders and the lid that had to be raised to expose them. I still have it, but replaced it with a modern LeatherZ item which has a long compartment covered with a large padded armrest, but only one cupholder up front.
    The one you ordered is open with no arm rest -- a compromise to get two cupholders in the front.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8
    Thanks all. Here's the one I have:

console2.jpg

And here's the one I ordered:

console1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Looks nice, but cost is a factor for me. Just keep pouring in cash: this week a couple of hundred for brake lines and stuff. And my list is endless... so compromises are made.
    The LeatherZ armrest (which I have) is the ideal solution. But there is an "armrest" that's sold on the evil auction site--if I recall correctly--that sits down into that rear storage area. No hinge, it's just a press fit. But it's significantly cheaper and does give you a place to rest your arm. You could also roll your own out of a piece of wood, some foam, and a scrap piece of leather.

Just an option. Like I said, I have the LeatherZ armrest and think it's the bees knees. But different folks have different budgets/priorities.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by riderdan View Post
    The LeatherZ armrest (which I have) is the ideal solution... I have the LeatherZ armrest and think it's the bees knees. But different folks have different budgets/priorities.
    I have what you have. But Cyberman's priority is two cupholders.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    I have what you have. But Cyberman's priority is two cupholders.
    Yeah, I could have phrased that better. I meant "The LeatherZ armrest (which I have) is the ideal solution for me" But there is an "armrest" for the two-cupholder console, if that's of interest to Cyberman.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    But there is an "armrest" for the two-cupholder console, if that's of interest
    Thanks, and yes, if this is the one you're thinking about, the issue (for me) is that it covers the rearward cup holder: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-armre...Cclp%3A2334524

I'll wait until I get the "new" center console to figure out exactly were the armrest needs to be. Right now, my elbow comes down pretty far back and rests on the hard plastic cover of my existing front storage box. It's difficult to picture it with the newer console installed. There are some "universal" armrest/storage boxes, but they may be too high. Well, with time and creativity, all things can be solved, usually with some compromises.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I have the two cup holder one and I installed the arm rest. Your not going to have room for two cups and a arm rest . What I do is when I need two cup holders I just raise the arm rest up and leave it back until I'm done with the back cup holder.

20201129_102046.jpg
    Last edited by IndianaRoadster; 11-29-2020 at 11:22 AM.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    What I do is when I need two cup holders I just raise the arm rest up
    Thanks - shoot, another item to add to my wish list. SUSPENSION comes first.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I have had the LeatherZ two cup holder/arm rest combo for about a decade now, and I have never used the second cup holder for anything except holding an Allen key for my supercharger oil dip stick and another for the CD43. Of course I really don't like passengers in my Z at all, and, if I have to suffer one, they certainly don't get to bring a drink with them. It's a great set up--pricey but worth it. The cup holder with the ring installed perfectly holds a Starbucks Venti with a sleeve.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    I really don't like passengers in my Z at all
    At 18 or so, half the reason I acquired the first of several British sports cars were girls, girls, girls! I recall driving a group home from school once with one in the passenger seat and three perched up on the trunk with their legs in the space behind the seats. I used to think that view I got of the prettiest one when I looked in the rear view mirror was simply that she wasn't aware. Now, I'm not so sure. It was hard to keep my eyes on the road. I love my spouse in the passenger's seat, the car looks better that way. The only issue is that I've developed a split personality, mad-dog driver when I'm alone and wimpy old-lady when not. She's like having an overly-sensitive alert system: warning, warning, curves ahead. Warning, warning, you're way over the speed limit....

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3

Did I hit paydirt?

Interesting day: The new/old cupholders in front dropped in perfectly and there was a screw clip mounted on the center console exactly where I needed it. The old L-shaped unit had a bolt and nut holding it on the small part of the L that looked like a deal cludge where they drilled a hole, now uncovered and needing a trim/plug. All good.

But then I decided I just had to have an armrest. I found an old beat-up one on ebay that was a press-fit into the storage box and the guy wanted $70 bucks which aroused a bit of an F you too. And, looking at the whole picture now, I realized I should have gone for the LeatherZ assembly in the first place. Scrounging around the LeatherZ site, I found they cell just the armrest, but I really didn't like the $100 price just on principles.

So, I searched the whole world over and thought I found (old Hee-Haw reference few will get) and just on a whim searched on Mark2 Armrest and found a German site, tsrmarki.com and right on their home page I found gold - a genuine LeatherZ Mark2 Armrest for $57 including shipping from Germany. Here's a link as I can't get pictures to upload today: https://www.tsrmarki.com/bmw-z3-m-ro...r-p-281108.htm I think it's a German site since check-out was at a .de site, but they do PayPal.

So, why the low price? The site is a hodgepodge of all kinds of products with no discernable organization. You can look at auto parts, but there is no way to specify a brand except via a search box. My guess is they're a liquidator and somebody stocked up and now wants to unload. But, that's just speculation. Type BMW into the search box and you come up with 29,235 products starting with Jack Pads for a Z4. Search on
    BMW Z3
    brings up 1074 products. Oh gads of products - how about OEM Fuel Injectors for $9.39, unfortunately not for my M44 (just MW Z3 M3 328IS 328I 528I 2.8L/3.2L 3152CC/2793CC L6). Man, a new starter motor for $52. They give the manufacturer's part numbers so it would take some research to discover what models it fits. 1992-2002 Z3 front axle support for $48.95 (I want it just because...).

Pg 14: This has to be a liquidator - a new Seiko Air Conditioner Compressor for $55 - and that's with shipping

Pg 17: Unubtaineum: a NEW OEM short base rod antenna for $65. That's the thing with the plastic tip that breaks off and it's double-triple the price everywhere else I looked.

Pg 19: Damn they have the whole LeatherZ assembly, armrest and 2-cupholder base for $99 Cheaper than my separately purchased used cupholder base and armrest. LeatherZ's getting $223 for it off their site. What gives here?

Pg 25: Now I think I've died and gone to heaven, or maybe the whole thing is a scam. A complete new power streering rack assembly right out to the shafts and rubber booties for $71.92 and they offer free shipping on orders over $40. Hell, the shipping alone would cost more than that.

Pg 7: 96-02 BMW Z3 DUAL HALO PROJECTOR EURO CHROME HEADLIGHT LAMPS ASSEMBLY LEFT+RIGHT $93.72 and they look good

Hmm..every page a new suprise. Sorry for the all caps, I can't change it. but this reminds me of evenings in high school paging thru the old j.c. penney catalog.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... Pg 17: Unubtaineum: a NEW OEM short base rod antenna for $65. That's the thing with the plastic tip that breaks off and it's double-triple the price everywhere else I looked...
    The link did not post, but my 4'' sport antenna is about $35 everywhere, and has a male screw tip that does not break. The female tip of the antenna base, which costs over $150 and is mounted in the trunk, is what breaks so easily if any leverage is applied into it. Leverage can be applied by someone trying to pull (break) off an antenna, or by the long bolt popularly used to pull the tip of the base up through the grommet when replacing either the grommet or the base.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 12-03-2020 at 07:53 PM.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    The female tip of the antenna base, which costs over $150 and is mounted in the trunk, is what breaks so easily if any leverage is applied into it
    That's the part I was talking about. Here it is on their site (https://www.tsrmarki.com/bmw-oem-e36...r-p-207084.htm

sb.png

The page numbers I was referring to happen when you go to their home page: https://www.tsrmarki.com/ and then type BMW Z3 into the search box on the upper right hand side of the page. Of course, the items and locations will change over time. To find the above item, I typed in BMW Z3 Short Base and it does take a few seconds before the item comes up.

Now, I don't trust them yet, we'll see if I get the product or have to fight with PayPal. I should have paid directly from either my credit card or bank since PayPal makes it a pain to recover money from fraud. I'm suspicious since their prices are ridiculously low (If it's too good to be true..) and when they took the money from PayPal they gave me a tracking number that simply pulled up an old USPS tracking number saying the package was delivered the day I ordered the part. very strange.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    and when they took the money from PayPal they gave me a tracking number that simply pulled up an old USPS tracking number saying the package was delivered the day I ordered the part. very strange.
    So PayPal security confirmed it looks strange to them too and will open a dispute. If they're legitimate, they'll resolve the dispute and send the product. Otherwise, they'll get on PayPal's naughty list and have to set the whole thing up again under a different URL and merchant ID. So, we'll see.