Thread: E34 v8 swap

My Cars
    BMW E34 TDS

E34 v8 swap

Hey guys, I've been thinking for some days, how hard is it to swap m62b44 into m50/m20 e34? Everyone there is swapping it in other v8s like 530
    Does it matter if the engine is from 5 or 7 series? I read that you have to change a lot of stuff like the whole steering mechanism and that its not bolt on, motor and transmission mounts must be welded. Anyone here done that? Would be glad if someone helps. From what i've seen mainly russians swap those engines but sadly i don't understand their language.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Difficult and not worth the effort when factory V-8 cars are available.
    Engine compartment was not designed with a V-8 in mind so lots of compromises by BMW when it was done. The location of the brake booster and master cylinder are prime examples of putting this round peg into a square hole.
    One member here has done the opposite installing an M30 where a v-8 once lived. Perhaps he will chime in with more.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    BMW E34 TDS
    Just searched through and a m62tub44 costs like 1k euro here. Don't know if its worth it but it will be cool for sure. Will think about it more

My Cars
    E38, E39, 2020 GRACHE
    Quote Originally Posted by krazy8 View Post
    Just searched through and a m62tub44 costs like 1k euro here. Don't know if its worth it but it will be cool for sure. Will think about it more
    sooooo much work to make that engine fit. not worth it. youll have thousands in it. you could find a m5 or 540/6....

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Russian is close enough to Bulgarian that a Google Translation should be quite easy to understand.

Installing a V8 into an L6 E34 body is certainly more work than into a factory V8 car, but it's not as bad as people make it sound. Spot-welded brackets will need to be transplanted or fabricated, primarily for the V8 brake contraption (alternatively, you might see if the E32 750 or RHD E34 hydraulic brake assist system will fit; I bet it will). Subframes are identical. Transmission crossmemers are different but all E34 have all the holes already threaded for all factory crossmembers, including the 6-speed V8. Steerboxes are different but bolt to the same steering linkage and subframes. 5-series and 7-series engines are identical (also X5). There are some wiring differences that will need to be spliced, the swaybars are different (but nothing else in the suspension is, apart from a small difference in spring and shock rates).

Although the E34 was designed for L6 and unusual compromises were necessary to fit the V8, I actually find the latter easier to work on, because there aren't a million things crammed under the intake manifold.
    Last edited by moroza; 11-30-2020 at 08:12 AM.