Thread: Has anyone removed the glue that is used for the wood trim before?

My Cars
    some

Has anyone removed the glue that is used for the wood trim before?

My car didn't originally have wood trim but the previous idiot removed the ultramarine console and put in beige parts with wood trim from later model (kept the ultramarine non wood trim doors so it looks dumb). I'm about paint the console ultramarine but the problem is the wood trim is glued on.
    I've pulled it off OK, but residue is left behind. I've tried removing it with acetone, or heat, or sanding and I can't get it all off - mainly because the vinyl is textured so I'd ruin it by sanding too far.

Anyway, it seems like a super glue of some sort in feel, but I could be wrong. Anyone know the type of glue BMW used and how to remove it in order to ensure the paint will stick and not peel off later?

E: Circled in yellow is what I'm dealing with
    console.jpg

I'm pretty sure the glovebox is screwed on from behind so not a problem. I can't remember the drivers knee panel. I might need a new lid anyway if it's recessed to fit the wood strip and looks wrong without anything there, but that can wait until the seats are done (already done the back seat) and it's back on the road.
    Last edited by fo3; 11-26-2020 at 12:29 AM.

My Cars
    E34
    BMW didn't use any glue on the wood trim on our cars...so the previous owner must have glued them himself...good luck!

My Cars
    some
    I'm stuck and stick of working in poor light. OK, so the proper wood trim e34s are 2 piece consoles so that wood section is a different panel. Where I'm stuck is I can't remember how my console/dash goes back together and all pics and vids I've just looked at are wood trim 2 peice. Mine goes from the shifter/handbrake all the way to under the column/dash/glove box in one piece.

And I can't remember if the vinyl console screw hole tabs goes under the black hvac/obc/stereo screw holes, or on top of it - or a mix. my car is in a dark garage blocked in and mostly stripped anyway so not moveable and I'm out of batteries for a torch to have a hope of working this out -unless someone here knows.

It's just not fitting back in properly and I can't remember how or get any results that are for the non wood cars.

E: nevermind, crappy job but the problem was probably the huge electrical plug that lives up in there I think. I had to rip out the radio and OBC and have another go while trying to push the plug out of the way.
    Last edited by fo3; 12-08-2020 at 05:24 AM.

My Cars
    some
    rant: Damn, broke my retaining lever for my OBC and scratched the new dye paint anyway
    damn damn, a small lightbulb fell out and no idea where it came from. Didn't turn on when I put the headlights on so I left it dangling. Somehow lost a temp dial when it fell off, must be under the console for good now. I have a spare I think when I bought a bunch of stuff from Ross.

Both leatherique (too light) and colourlock (too indigo) have now failed to match the colour now, this whole thing is waste of time and $600 anyway.
    Last edited by fo3; 12-08-2020 at 05:25 AM.