Thread: High Quality Reverse Camera

My Cars
    1999 BMW 523i E39

High Quality Reverse Camera

Hello!

I have a BMW E39 sedan that I'm planning on upgrading the stereo in to a Kenwood DMX8020DABS or similar and am currently thinking about getting a reverse camera for it since the stereo supports it. I'm now wondering if anyone here know a high quality camera that works well with the E39? I've found loads on sites like Wish and Banggood but would like something high quality which I'm unsure if these ones are. I'd prefer one that replaces the handle for the trunk but one that replaces the license plate light could also be of interest if I can get the other side to match in regards to color. Other installations is also of interest if it can be done neatly. Anyone here that have any recommendations?

I can also mention that I'm aware of the fact that the stereo mentioned doesn't fit out of the box because of the depth limitations on the E39.

Thanks in advance!
    Current Garage
    1999 BMW 523i E39

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi TS1997,

The new Kenwood DMX5020 fits nicely if you do wish to stay with a Kenwood head unit - https://www.kenwood-electronics.co.u...020DABS/?view= a recent customer has just had one installed with an NXG-39 fascia too

As for cameras, then 'high quality' reverse cameras are really only made by the high quality brands and which will use excellent quality internal electronics & lenses/sensors. The downside is that they don't make car specific fitment items and given the E39 is now 4 generations old, nothing for these.

For instance, Alpine do cameras with high performance lenses/sensors that react very quickly from light to dark and dark to light situations - like when reversing into your garage, or parking spots in multi storey car parks etc The cameras are very small so another location for you could be (if you have them) removing a single OEM reverse sensor and making the hole slightly bigger to then fit the camera into securely. Gives an integrated fit look as it were. It's something I've been considering to do when I get my rear camera. I don't have oem reverse sensors so I'd cut a round hole into my existing trims and modify the bumper a bit to ensure a snug fit. That, or I'll discreetly mount it in the rear tailgate glass.

The next best option would be the cameras from the likes of Conencts2 as I know they do a high quality universal rear view round small camera for around £60/65 or so. Take a look at CKO and C2/Autoleads as well. You might/could modify one of their solutions for instance

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 523i E39
    Hi Dennis!

Thanks for the information! Unfortunately I don't have the OEM sensors so that would have to be a completely custom install. I'm currently leaning towards something like a Connects2 license plate frame with a camera but thought I'd ask here if there is something better available first. I'll check the manufacturers you mentioned out and see if I find something modifiable.
    Current Garage
    1999 BMW 523i E39

My Cars
    00 528i, 01 540i
    I don't think they make anything for us. I have one of those that replaces your license plate and adds the camera. It's nothing to write home about, it'll help you see how far you are from something. I think it's only 720 resolution anyways.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Alpine has a good full HD camera thats really good with different lighting conditions, I think Dennis mentioned about it. I think from what I can remember, it was like $200. They have another decent one for $150 too. Kenwood also has a couple of good ones. I have thought about ordering the HD unit from Alpine since I have an Alpine iLX W650 head unit which will take that and another camera for forward looking, but have not figured out about a recording hard drive for it yet. For mounting, both the sedans and wagons have that over hang over the license plate pocket. Good 3M VHB double sided tape will be good enough to hang a camera to the overhang. But you would need to drill a hole.... On a sedan, drill a hole, treat the bare metal with POR15 to keep it from getting rusty, pass the wire through, seal it in with a good grommit. Same thing for the wagons, but you would have to remove the plastic overhang from the tailgate, drill a hole, run the wire through, there should be an opening in which to pass the wire through, then you have to run the wire up to the area where the tailgates harnesses run up to the hinges and pass through to the roof, pain in the ass, screw it, I don’t really need a stupid rearview camera.....
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2001 540iT
    I have been thinking about using the old cellular antenna location on my wagon. Maybe adapt a fake shark fin or 3d print something to hold the camera

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    But with the location of the roof antennae, you’re gonna have a big blind spot right at the rear bumper, blows the whole idea of having a camera back there.

My Cars
    2001 540iT
    Oh I don't care about the backing up. I just want to see who's chasing me...

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    If someone is chasing you, looking backwards just hinders your concentration on driving hard. Key to a car chase, drive hard, drive fast, leave them in the dust without constantly looking to see where they are. You drive hard enough, you will lose them.... hehe, It’s a long funny story of how I have come to be able to say that with absolute knowledge

My Cars
    E39 530i, Ford Territory
    reverse camera can also be intergrated into the factory system if it has the nav screenBMW audio pin out.jpg

My Cars
    2001 540iT
    I also like to see the results of my taillight machine-guns.