Thread: Wind Deflector For Manual Top

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

Wind Deflector For Manual Top

Hi all - I am new to the forum. I just purchased a 2006 Z4 3.0si, only 59K miles, and with a manual top. I wanted the old-school roadster feel and didn't want to deal with the hassle of a power top breaking. The car does not have a wind deflector, and am I thinking about getting one (to protect my wife's hair as we are cruising through the countryside). But it struck me: does having a wind deflector in place interfere with the operation of a manual top, like reaching back and pulling it over your head to close it? Any advice?

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    Good question. How does the top lock in the open position?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The wind deflector is as tall as the roll bars, you would have to manually lock the front header latches thru the front motor with an Allen wrench

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by B328iC View Post
    Good question. How does the top lock in the open position?
    Thanks for the reply! It is a manual top with no motor. So you just push it all the way to the open position and it locks in. Then, there is a button just over the little storage compartment between the seats that you push that unlocks it. My concern is that the wind deflector would get in the way of me reaching back and grabbing the top to close it. It take it that manual tops are not very common in the Z4?

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigC View Post
    Thanks for the reply! It is a manual top with no motor. So you just push it all the way to the open position and it locks in. Then, there is a button just over the little storage compartment between the seats that you push that unlocks it. My concern is that the wind deflector would get in the way of me reaching back and grabbing the top to close it. It take it that manual tops are not very common in the Z4?
    You are correct on low numbers of manual tops in the Z4.
    You have to remember with the deflector in place you would have to reach over it if seated in the car to raise the top. Unless you can raise it by grabbing the top mechanism on the side and get it started up then finish by pulling it the rest of the way up in the center. Otherwise the only other way of raising the top would be from the outside of the car. As for will the top fit over the wind deflector. Yes they fit fine with the top up.

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    There are 2 different types of deflectors. There is a mesh type that covers the headrests and in between the seats. There is also the type that just goes between the headrests of the seats. I would think with the one that only goes between the headrests/"roll bar" you could reach through "roll bar" and raise it up far enough to clear the "roll bar" and then finish closing the top.

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
    Thanks for the reply. That is a very good thought. I will see if something like that would work.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigC View Post
    Thanks for the reply. That is a very good thought. I will see if something like that would work.
    Well, I have the power top and also have the plastic winds screens installed between the headrests and inside each head rest and I can tell you that my lovely wife still has to wear a cap or visor to keep her car out of her face so it doesn't completely void the wind.

Hope this tidbit helps.
    Dean
    Last edited by cdsweet; 12-02-2020 at 07:56 PM.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    I had no idea you could even spec the E85 Z4 with a manual top.

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    I specifically searched for a manual top when buying my 04.
    Too many stories of water damage.
    Still had to deal with a fried amp.
    04R 3l 6 sp VF SC, custom ducting, alphaN, 2.62 pulley, multiport WMI,Severn Tuning(Pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler/y-pipe, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.91 LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows.Megan camber arms. Carbon interior,SSK,UUC lines.CF aero. Poly bushings.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
    I had no idea you could even spec the E85 Z4 with a manual top.
    It had a very low purchase rate by dealers when new in the US, but is more common overseas. In fact, most I see overseas look to be manual tops, particularly for the smaller engine variants

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!