Thread: E30 on e85, what do I need ?

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325i

E30 on e85, what do I need ?

Hi, I want to run e85 on my 1990 bmw 325i... I知 going to start tracking it and I know e85 runs the engine cooler. I have a walbro 255lph and kamotors 60lb injectors. Do I need to fully drain my gas tank and swap out my lines and change my fuel pressure regulator or can I just drive it till empty ? The tune I was going to go with was the chip from SSSQUID stage 1. Thanks for the help guys !

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    holy cow, 60 pound injectors? is that's what is called for with the chip? are you going turbo? what type of set up are you going to run? I ask because don't know much about doing that kind of stuff that needs 60 pound injectors so it sounds like its a high power system
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325i
    Yes the chip is going to be tuned for 60lb injectors with e85. I知 going to run a turbo soon just saving up, I知 going to start tracking the car and I heard e85 runs at lower temps then normal gas... I would of got 42lb injectors but I didn稚 know of them at the time so I知 just sticking w the 60lb. I知 running stock internals w a multi layered steel head gasket, rebuilt head, kamotors intake, injectors, headers, fuel pump, and I want to run e85 but I don稚 know how to set it up so I came on here for help.

My Cars
    Oh. I don't know what e85 is so I cannot help but I hear people spray water or some type of coolant into the intake with a spare injector to help cool the charge, I guess?
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1990 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Julianperezz View Post
    Yes the chip is going to be tuned for 60lb injectors with e85. I’m going to run a turbo soon just saving up, I’m going to start tracking the car and I heard e85 runs at lower temps then normal gas... I would of got 42lb injectors but I didn’t know of them at the time so I’m just sticking w the 60lb. I’m running stock internals w a multi layered steel head gasket, rebuilt head, kamotors intake, injectors, headers, fuel pump, and I want to run e85 but I don’t know how to set it up so I came on here for help.
    60 or 80lb injectors would be fine 80lbs for a lower injector duty cycle so more head room to grow. I would replace the rubber fuel line with an e85 rated line or go full -8an feed -6an return. I'm not familiar with m20 turbo set up unlike the 24v turbo. As long as your tune can compensate for an e85 mix like with a flex fuel sensor, you'll need to have a to a map set up to run full e85 without flex fuel sensor. e85 is a dry and corrosive fuel so it would eat through non e85 rated components overtime like fuel filters, lines and, injectors and clog the fuel system if left sitting for a period of time. If your fuel pump isn't rated for e85 I would suggest AEM 340 or walbro 255 pump meant for e85 paired with a good aftermarket fpr you should be set. Talk to your tuner and get their take on what you're trying to do and maybe they found a recipe that works for your platform/budget.
    Last edited by E30s50dude; 11-27-2020 at 08:42 AM.

My Cars
    94 540i/6
    E85 requires more fuel to make the same power so larger injectors is a step in the right direction. I also second the idea of replacing all the rubber lines with E85 rated lines. No need to drain the fuel tank, just run til empty. E85 octane rating is only 95 or 98 IIRC, its not much higher than the highest grade European fuel, so it really isn't the end of the world if it mixes with 2 or 3 gallons of 87/91.

My Cars
    1990 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
    E85 requires more fuel to make the same power so larger injectors is a step in the right direction. I also second the idea of replacing all the rubber lines with E85 rated lines. No need to drain the fuel tank, just run til empty. E85 octane rating is only 95 or 98 IIRC, its not much higher than the highest grade European fuel, so it really isn't the end of the world if it mixes with 2 or 3 gallons of 87/91.
    Fuel blend does matter since pump gas has a lower octane its more prone to detonation even more so when you add forced induction to the mix. A good blend of e85 would be around 110 octane in the US. fuel trims short term and long term are drastically different than what you would see on a full pump 93 set up. 80lb injectors are really what you want for high hp over the 60lbs and a good flex fuel sensor and dme tune will be your best bet unless you know how to scale your fuel and ignition tables on your own.

Irrc European octane ratings don't actually take their octane ratings at face value. I could be wrong but I can only speak on the US octane rating system. Depending on the pump gas and ethanol mixture you could be anywhere between e30-e85 mix. A flex fuel sensor would be the only way to really tell and a good tune to accommodate the fuel blend will really determine how well the car run.

My Cars
    You can get 100 and higher rates gas at your local small airport. When I worked private aircraft repair, we would sometimes have to empty wing tanks on people's planes in order to do repairs. We didn't have anywhere to put it so everyone just pulled their cars up and got to fill up till the tanks were empty. The racers loved it because the high rating but I always passed because sometimes the planes had leaded gas.

So, be sure you ask for 100 low lead
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    E30 325is, E46 M3
    I'm running E85 on my E30 M20, using a MegaSquirt 2 ECU set-up (WB O2, VTPS, Simplified AFM, wasted spark). I'm still investigating, but somehow, it runs better when I don't use the GM Flex Fuel sensor. I'm thinking the following:
    1. The WB O2 set-up may have something to do with it
    2. I don't have enough fuel pressure. Funny thing, it runs really well when the flex fuel controls are disabled - maybe I'll default to 100% multiplier all accross and just rely on the advance ignition
    Last edited by hqfernando; 01-24-2023 at 02:28 PM.