Thread: Auto transmission adaptations reset

My Cars
    E60 530i LCI M Sport

Auto transmission adaptations reset

After reinstalling INPA the other day, I wanted to check that the "reset transmission adaptations" feature was working, and accidentally activated it! I was planning to drain/fill my transmission fluid first. Up until now, gear changes had been a bit clunky and occasionally slipping under load. My E60 has done 165,000kms (103,000mi).

After the reset, I noticed gears were changing more slowly and smoothly. However, after 100 - 200kms, they are back to being a bit clunky.

Before I spend a day and some money on the transmission drain/fill, does the above sound like my transmission is already toast? I had done a drain/fill on my E46 before and it didn't have much effect so I was hoping the adaptations reset would have a longer impact.

My Cars
    E60 530i LCI M Sport
    I assume the transmission has never had a drain/fill. At this mileage, does drain/fill ever fix slightly clunky shifting and occasional slipping, or are these transmissions toast when left so long without refreshing the fluid?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    When you clear adaptations your basically clearing shift files now the car has to be driven to make new shift files and then they are stored. Good adaptation numbers can be up to +300 the number means the pressures at the specific gear clutch any thing over 300 is considered out of spec

My Cars
    E60 530i LCI M Sport
    I have no way of knowing what the adaptation numbers are. The transmission is still a bit clunky so I come back to my original question - is this typically fixable with a drain/fill? I am currently presuming it is not, because it didn’t help on my e46.

My Cars
    E60 530i LCI M Sport
    FYI I believe this to be the mechatronic seals. This is due to the mileage and nature of the symptoms. Not a biggie, easy to do when doing the drain/fill. I used to think it sounded difficult, but it’s actually not. I will provide an update when done.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Auto logic would read the numbers

My Cars
    E60 530i LCI M Sport
    Thanks. I’ve already got the fluid and I’ve Just gone ahead and bought the seals from Overseas so I’ll let you know how it goes.

The clunking is getting worse by the day. It’s bad enough that it I can tell that something is definitely not in spec. I don’t have autologic.

My Cars
    2004 E60 545i
    After doing the adaptation reset, did you follow up with the recommended test drive procedure afterwards, or just started driving normally?
    If not that may be that’s why it went back to “normal” again.

After pressing F3 to reset the adaptations, a confirmation message will appear.
    Re-Learning the Adaptations
    The most important part of resetting transmission adaptations is the re-learn process. Refer to the process below to see the re-learn procedure your vehicle needs after its transmission adaptations have been reset.
    Before starting this procedure, ensure the following conditions have been satisfied;
    1) The adaptation values have been cleared
    2) The error memory codes, if any, have been read, recorded and cleared
    3) ATF temperature is 122F or above (adaptations will not learn if not)
    1. Step 1 Adaptation Re-Learn Procedure (D-Mode)
    1) From a standstill, accelerate the vehicle in D Mode with very light throttle (15-25% if monitoring pedal angle with MHD) to 4th gear
    2) Continue to accelerate with light throttle (20-40%) to 6th gear
    3) Let the vehicle coast to ~25mph, then slow the vehicle to a standstill with light brake
    application
    4) With the brakes applied and the vehicle at a standstill, wait for 10 seconds
    5) Repeat steps 1-4 for 9 cycles, then proceed to Step 2 below (M-Mode)

Step 2 Adaptation Re-Learn Procedure (M-Mode)
    1) With the shifter in M Mode, accelerate the vehicle to ~30mph and select 3rd gear
    2) Continue driving for 2 miles
    3) Accelerate the vehicle to ~45mph and select 5th gear
    4) Using light throttle, accelerate to 50mph and then coast to ~40mph without applying the
    brakes, repeat for 4 cycles, then
    5) Accelerate to 55mph and select 6th gear
    6) With light throttle, accelerate to 65mph then coast to 50mph without applying the brakes,
    repeat for 4 cycles, then
    7) Select 3rd gear and repeat steps 1-6 for 5 cycles, then coast to a standstill and proceed to
    Step 3 below
    3. Step 3 (Shift Confirmation)
    1. With the vehicle at a standstill, shift from “N” to “D”, wait 5 seconds then shift back into “N”
    2. Repeat this for 4 cycles, then
    3. Shift from “N” to “R”, wait 5 seconds then shift back into “N”
    4. Repeat this for 4 cycles, then
    5. Check error memory to ensure there are no codes
    This concludes the basic procedure for re-learning the transmission adaptations. Please keep in mind that the transmission will continue to learn over the next few days to completely learn itself into the new parameters and shift quality will continue to improve. Drive the vehicle as normal.
    Last edited by cmyachtie; 12-04-2020 at 10:35 PM.
    ">'85 Mlite E30, '98 E36, 1998 528i, 5 spd manual, black on black, sold in 2012 and still going past 350Kkms, now MYSTIC Blue 2004 545i, 6 spd Steptr., Adaptive steering and Xenons, Anti dazzle mirrors. Aux+Belt-Chime+Dig speedo+iDrive discl. 2007 TCU+BT Coded+Sure BT Board