Thread: Control arm failure NEED HELP

My Cars
    1995 325i

Unhappy Control arm failure NEED HELP

Bought my first bmw about two weeks ago. It’s a 95 bmw 325i and it’s slammed on its ass. It’s so low just about every part of its under carriage scrapes the ground. I came from a lifted Tacoma on 35s to a slammed car so all of this is new to me. It’s already cambered a good bit as well. Tonight on my way home from work, the lower control arm went out, and the cv is bent completely. Now it’s only the right side but I figure go ahead and replace all the control arms On the car and the cv that has to be almost broke??? Besides from that it leaks coolant so badly that it drains the tank just about every time I refill it. If anyone understands this nonsense I’m spitting help would be greatly appreciated. I’ll posts pics tomorrow and hopefully will give better insight. Hopefully didn’t crack the oil pan with the heavy duty ratchet straps I hit as well lol.... shit is rough. Thanks guys hope to learn a thing or two.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I meant to say please point me in the direction of a kit or some sort of components that you would recommend to replace my old busted control arms, especially with camber I’m sure I’ll need some better than oem. Tie rods cvs anything else I’d need to replace. As for the coolant leak I guess I’ll just order the mishimoto refresh kit.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Well sounds like you need a whole new suspension. Finding a kit that is quality/value is not easy, springs/shocks/struts will add up easily. Take your time when picking out a new suspension, Bilstein is quality but their kits are expensive. Your slammed right now, is there no adjustability in the setup??

The engine you have does not take overheating lightly, when they overheat the head tends to warp and crack. You probably bought a car that has already overheated. You should do a compression check to see how the engine is.

There are a lot of crap parts on the market, spending more doesn't always equate to better either.

Take pics of what broke. you have to use an outside pic host because you do not have enough forum posts.

https://imgbox.com/
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Rockauto has a big parts selection. Rmeuropean and Pelican parts are other good sources.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1995 325i
    What a headache. I see that ecs has a complete suspension refresh kit and I think I’m going to go with that. It’s weird, the coolant dumps at the most random times, sometimes it’s fine. I had just ordered a new clutch kit and clutch refresh kit from them as well. I appreciate your time responding to me. Any major/common things I should know about my car? Any downfalls of the car? I wanted an e36 for the longest time but I never did too much research because it was somewhat hard to find them around here, especially the convertible. I snapped on an impulse buy when I found one so like I said I don’t know too much. Looks like I’m going to end up completely rebuilding the car, and I’m okay with that.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Start with the compression test.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    FCPEuro also has a lifetime warranty on everything...may want to go that route.

STAY AWAY FROM URO BRAND for anything significant like suspension or cooling system....they are crap.

I don't know how old you are or what you plan to do with the car. My advice, lift the car up off the ground. Real life engineers built this car as a system of systems. Idiots that spend too much time on the internets and don't understand how things work together, hack up a car to a point it doesn't function....

Oh, and stay off HWY 40 with that slammed car....those roads will just make your car worse. I just moved from Aberdeen. If you need help beyond what you want to try and do, there are some good shops around the area too.
    Last edited by BMWManiac; 11-25-2020 at 08:29 AM.
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    1995 325i
    I do like how the car sits but it’s really not functional. I will probably keep it that low for the time being, yes that sounds ridiculous, but oh well.I picked the car up to learn and have some fun giving the car life again. Eventually after I get passed my stanced car phase I’ll probably pick up another bmw. I’m just going to go for a clean look with this one and try and keep up with it. I’m not cheating myself on parts either. I got the complete cooling kit from fcp euro with the mishimoto radiatior, but the rest I’ll order from ecs as they have exactly what I’m looking for. Add me on Instagram if have it, it’s @colt.111