Thread: Z4 Top Pump leak

My Cars
    2006 Z4 M

Z4 Top Pump leak

Hello all

So my new to me 2006 Z4M is leaking hydraulic fluid. I just purchased this car a week ago. The former owner had just completed the pump relocation and upgrade with a mustang pump mounted in the trunk. Everything works great but it is leaking in front of the drivers side rear tire. I have added fluid twice in a week. 15 top opening and closings or so. Is there a schematic or a shop manual I can get that will help me locate the lines / connections that could possibly be leaking. I am fairly mechanical but at this point don't even know where to start looking. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, LOVE the car.

KJ

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    There is a drain system where you can see hydraulic fluid. Also in this general area is a part called a hinge lifter. Actually, there is another hinge lifter on the other side of the car. There role is to lift/drop the top. The pump in the trunk should have 2 pair of hydraulic lines. One pair goes to the lifter on the drivers side and the other pair to the lifter on the passengers side.

Ok, with that said, you should go to youtube and search under Z4 top or roof. You'll find a lot of video's but, you should focus on those which detail removing the top from the car.

The only way to really trouble shoot this is by pulling the top. Once the top is removed you can use the car battery & two sets of wire to engage the top motor which is off the car to lift/drop top (youtube video details how to do this). This off the car inspection and moving the top is the only way your going to ID the source of the leak. You more than likely have either a blown hydraulic line or a bad hinge lifter which is seeping fluid.

note: If you determine fluid is seeping out of the hinge lifter at the joint where the hydraulic line is inserted, it could also be the PSI being put out by the mustang pump exceeds the system ability causing the seeping.
    Last edited by JAS1169; 11-23-2020 at 08:22 PM.

My Cars
    1977 MGB / 2005 Z4
    Jas has it right. You will need to remove the top to find the leak. I had to go through the procedure to trouble shoot my leak. The driver side lift cylinder was leaking from the rod seal. I did have both passenger and driver side cylinders rebuilt while I had access to both of them. Cost of rebuild is about half of buying new ones. Rebuild shop did a fantastic job and only a 3 day turn around.