Thread: How to determine original State of sale?

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops

How to determine original State of sale?

Hello,
    picked up a 2009 328xi SULEV and while no current issues, I wanted to determine in which state the car was originaly sold to see if it qualifies for the 150k/15year coverage.
    I have heard that CarFax does not provide the state of original sale.
    Is there another resource or would BMW directly provide this information?

Car does have New Jersey on the title from 2 owners ago so it may be covered.
    Thanks,

My Cars
    E91 335i
    Call BMW at 1-800-831-1117 and ask about the SULEV warranty status in the state in which you intend to register it. While you have them on the phone ask them to email you that in writing so that you have documented proof of the warranty in your state.

I'd ask them for the build sheet of the car just to have it around for later.
    Mechanical Engineer, Automotive Engineering Student, and Ex-BMW Intern
    2009 E91 335i conversion
    2003 W220 Mercedes Benz S600TT
    GM 2500 Coming Soon

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by 154e90 View Post
    Call BMW at 1-800-831-1117 and ask about the SULEV warranty status in the state in which you intend to register it. While you have them on the phone ask them to email you that in writing so that you have documented proof of the warranty in your state.

I'd ask them for the build sheet of the car just to have it around for later.
    Thanks for the information.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Two things, Carfax does list the original sale data, and the SULEV is a federal spec that all units enjoy the warranty period regardless of where the car originated from.

Use www.realoem.com and input the last 7 digits of your VIN (AB12345, for example) and it will come back with the engine you have.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 535is
    BMW build information is available at www.mdecoder.com by using the last 7 digits of the VIN. This is a great resource for those considering purchasing a used (or new) BMW .

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Or go to the dealer go to service give them the last seven of the vin they well look up the selling dealer code

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by BC535is View Post
    BMW build information is available at www.mdecoder.com by using the last 7 digits of the VIN. This is a great resource for those considering purchasing a used (or new) BMW .

This might not work anymore. It was a wonderful resource when they had it, especially when it was free. I _think_ it might be a subscription service now.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Thanks for the additional feedback, the call to BMW simply annoyed them and they indicated the car, while a SULEV was not under warranty, they could not tell where it was originally sold and told me to contact the dealer. I was more than a little put off by this. This is our first E90, I've had (I am not joking) 118 E36s and never had to call the dealer about anything.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well BMW NA is not in the business of selling used cars, only new ones as the dealerships sells all the used cars. Also it can depend on what repräsentative you get as well, for of course there will be bad one's that are not very helpful.

BTW "People's Republic of Maryland" gave me a little chuckle today, thanks for that
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    66, I have a 2011 328 SULEV, and I just had my valve cover replaced under the SULEV warranty. If your car is currently registered in MD, your covered.

Now a little word of warning, when I called the dealer two weeks ago, the service writer didn't seem to know. I insisted and he spoke to the warranty people who said that it was a covered repair. I believe even your spark plugs are covered.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually 66, I'm proud to live in MD! The police do their job, the schools are good, the weather, except for the summer is great, and most people wear masks!

I find 'People's Republic of Maryland' offensive, as with freedom comes responsiblity!

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by 66 6 View Post
    Thanks for the additional feedback, the call to BMW simply annoyed them and they indicated the car, while a SULEV was not under warranty, they could not tell where it was originally sold and told me to contact the dealer. I was more than a little put off by this. This is our first E90, I've had (I am not joking) 118 E36s and never had to call the dealer about anything.

SULEV is a federal emissions standard, and BMW gets an incentive to produce these models, but they also have to cover the engine and fuel systems for an extended period compared to other models. I suggest you google it.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 535is
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    This might not work anymore. It was a wonderful resource when they had it, especially when it was free. I _think_ it might be a subscription service now.
    Works for free as of today. Try it!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1987 BMW 535is
    Quote Originally Posted by BC535is View Post
    Works for free as of today. Try it!

However, it requires the full VIN. Great site!

My Cars
    '11 328i Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    Two things, Carfax does list the original sale data, and the SULEV is a federal spec that all units enjoy the warranty period regardless of where the car originated from.

Use www.realoem.com and input the last 7 digits of your VIN (AB12345, for example) and it will come back with the engine you have.
    For BMW, exactly what you get for the warranty definitely depends on three things - 1. Where the car was sold, 2. What year it is, and 3. Where it is currently registered.

In general, SULEV cars were not sold new in non-CA emissions states, and not every CA emission state gets the full SULEV warranty. The terms of the warranty changed over time as well. Early cars it was sold *or* registered in a CA emissions state. For the later cars it changed to sold *and* registered in a CA emissions state (doesn't have to be the same state though). I believe that changed for either 2010 or 2011. So in the case of my '11 128i, it was sold new in CT, and it is an N51, so a SULEV car. But because it is an '11, it needs to also be registered in a CA-emissions state. I happen to have homes in ME and FL, so my car is registered in ME, a CA -emissions state - I am covered. But if I were to re-register it in FL, I would lose the warranty. There are a couple of states that get a lesser warranty, because they only opted into parts of the CA-emissions deal. You really need to read the warranty book specific to the year of the car to see exactly what applies and what is covered. I have a BMW warranty PDF that pretty clearly explains the differences per model year and state, but I have no idea how to link it.