Thread: seatbelt receptacle error - causes/fixes?

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!

seatbelt receptacle error - causes/fixes?

I have a passenger seatbelt code error. I removed the seat looking for frayed wires, and what little wire coming from the receptacle seems fine. Do receptacles go bad over time? I suspect there is a broken wire or internal corrosion in the unit?

Which connector is for the seat belt receptacle? This car has heated seats. It is a big white connector, two big black connectors, a small black connector bundled together. Then there is a lone little white connector to a big box separate from the other bundle.

I soldered frayed wires for the driver's side seat belt receptacle before and those broken wires were easily found. Thanks for any insights! 12/95 build 328is. 240k miles.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Here is where www.realoem.com is your friend.
    Use the last seven characters of the VIN to drill into parts diagrams specific to your build.
    Buy a new seat belt receptacle based on the realoem part number for the VIN. While most likely that VIN is well outside the ‘rolling’ cut over from spring to pyrotechnic tensioners, it is good to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Its most likely corrosion in the connector. Get a can of deoxit 5% and use an old toothbrush and go to town cleaning them all.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I had the same problem. I pulled the connector apart, then jammed it together as hard as I could, cleared the code, and it worked for a year. Then I was looking for something under the seat and disturbed it. Light came on again. That time I got some contact cleaner, cleared the code, and so far it's okay. So I suggest trying that before buying and installing a new one.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    One more vote for contact cleaner. I've heard good things about Deoxit but haven't seen it in stores around me so I used a CRC electrical cleaner product with good results.

If the clip that holds the connector it to the seat frame is broken or lose, they can get disturbed when you run the seats back and forth. May need to secure it out of harms way too.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Try all that you need to clear the code. I do not believe it will clear on their own. OBD2 reader will not work. You need the SRS code reader and clearer. Your welcome to drive up and use mine. I'm an hour away and have tons of parts as well.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Thanks for the suggestions guys... I guess I will try a wire brush on all the connectors and some deoxit or equivalent first and see if those clear the codes. I have both Peake code reading tools. Thanks Gregg.

I have a similar airbag issue on another e36 and I used a deoxit spray and the code went away for awhile. Now it's back again. I sprayed the connector under the rear seat of our 325i.

I am still chasing a misfire that I think points to a bad DME too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

My Cars
    99 M3
    A lot of people overlook battery health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Battery is a few years old. Thanks for your comment!

I hit the connectors with a wire brush and contact cleaner. Has anyone been able to disassemble the seat belt receptacle enough to identify a fault? broken continuity or corrosion somewhere?