Thread: Battery corrosion

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA

Battery corrosion

Hey guys,

Just wanted to remind everyone to check their battery compartment at least once a year. I was doing my annual check mainly to see if the battery needed to be topped off with distilled water. All of the cells were fine, but I noticed some of that white corrosion at the bottom of the battery tray towards the back. Never had this before and I thought it was usually caused by a missing vent tube. Mine was properly connected so I don't know why this happened. I cleaned it up and neutralized it with a mixture of baking soda and water. My battery is 8 years old and I was debating whether I should try to get another year out of it but after seeing the corrosion, I think I'll pick up a new one.

They have an Everstart Maxx-H8 at Walmart for $130, which is rated very well on the Project Farm YouTube channel, plus it's made by Johnson Controls so it can't be all bad. Just thought I'd throw this out there as a reminder to check your batteries.

IMG_0239.JPG
    Last edited by Dave Sal; 11-21-2020 at 05:18 PM.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer
    AudioControl EQL equalizer

My Cars
    2001 540iT
    Often the battery is cracked when you have that problem and the vent tube is ok. Good idea to replace. Everstart is ok but not the best

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
    My battery is 8 years old and I was debating whether I should try to get another year out of it but after seeing the corrosion, I think I'll pick up a new one.
    Get a NAPA Legend battery, mine lasted me 12 years using a smart charger when I remembered to connect it.
    I just replaced it with another NAPA Legend a few months ago.
    IIRC it was about $150 with a $25 mail in refund, so really only $125.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Thanks for the battery suggestions. Gonna look into it.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Just an FYI...make sure you plug the hole on the other side of the battery. Many forget to do that while still connecting the vent tube. If you do go with the Everstart...I believe there is a “break-a-way” plug built into one of the battery post caps. Before throwing those protective caps away...make sure you break off the plug to seal up the hole on the opposite side of the battery from the vent hole you’re connecting the vent tube to.

Example below shows the break off plug (encircled in green) that should be inserted into the vent hole on the negative post side of the battery...while the vent hole (encircled in red) is where you hook up the cars battery vent tube that carries natural occurring gasses produced by the battery to the exterior of the car:

Examples of battery’s vent hole on negative post side plugged up to prevent gasses from escaping into the enclosed battery compartment:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-22-2020 at 09:20 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Yes, preventive replacement is a good idea at 7 or 8 years on a battery - You don't want to t get stranded.

I put one of those battery anti-corrosion mats under my battery after I, like you, found some spew in the compartment floor and had to swab the deck with baking soda solution.

Also, to Qsilver7's point, my current battery does have two vent holes - one at each pos & neg end. I got some extra tubing and used a t-fitting to vent both holes into the vent tube.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    99 528iTA
    Just a note. Johnson Controls sold their battery division to a private equity group who renamed the company Clarios. They make Optima, DieHard, Everstart (Walmart) plus some other private labels.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Thanks for the additional information. I never knew that batteries had two vent holes and came with plugs to seal one up. Thanks for the tip Qsilver7. Also looking at getting one of those anti-corrosion mats. I'll be picking up a NAPA Legend battery tomorrow as recommended by JimLev.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Good choice Dave.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    FYI, the Everstart Maxx 49/H8 was one of the lowest rated group 49 batteries in the test on Consumer Reports (second from bottom, Bosch Premium was the lowest rated)
    The problem with Project Farm's test, is it was with the Group 27. Consumer Reports testing has proven that battery performance varies greatly within brands, depending on which size is tested.

Best rated by Consumer Reports in Group 49/H8 was the AC Delco AGM for best reserve capacity and longest expected life. AGM batteries never need water, and rarely, if ever leak. I've had mine for over a year, and recently had it load tested, and it was over 1000 CCA, even though it is only rated at 900 CCA.

Second best rated was Interstate brand, Megatron. And even though only rated at 730CCA, was one of the top tested for actual reserve capacity and good CCA. So don't always put your faith in posted specifications. At least in the Interstate and AC Delco, they exceed them.
    Last edited by f355spider; 11-28-2020 at 12:03 AM.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Battery mats are sold at most autoparts stores. You trim them to fit. Most brands are yellow treated felt
    Acid Battery Tray Mat 8x20 inch The Battery Mat Co PELBMBP820 PEL.BMBP820 PEL BMBP820 | Pelican Parts
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.