Thread: Water near battery of my e39 525i Wagon

My Cars
    e39 2001 525i Touring

Water near battery of my e39 525i Wagon

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum, so forgive me if I'm not doing something right! I have been reading posts on Bimmerforums since I picked up my 525i last January, and so many of you have helped me solve a multitude of problems. I have a mechanic who specializes in e39 engines, but all other repairs I'm trying to do myself. I have a 2001 wagon with 43k miles on it, and it was well taken care of by my grandmother for many years. My main problems I'm running into have to do with rubber or plastic, which I know is common.

Anyways, I've read a lot on sunroof drains, and I've cleared out the front two with weed whacker line. I'd like to clear out both of my rear drains, which don't seem to be draining. I believe this is why I'm getting water near the battery. My radio has cut out since I got the car, I think because of the water, which I recently discovered, and what I need to do is clear out the rear drains. I have found some info on this, but am still unclear how to access the rear drains from where they exit the wagon. I believe they come down the c pillars and come out somewhere near the rear wheels. I'm going to pull the wheels off and take a look this weekend, but before I do, I want to make sure that's the best method. I also have read that removing the headliner and running a line through that way can work, but I don't want to have to remove the headliner if I don't have to.

ALSO, maybe it's not my drains. There is a very specific place where the water is building up, and I've included pictures to make it clear. Because of the location, I don't think it's the hatch seal or the rear window gaskets, although I bought some new ones just to try out. I've read that the vent flap can be the cause, but it seems like the vent is working fine. There was definitely some water near the vent, but it looks like it's just condensation from the humidity in the compartment. If you have time, check out the pictures and tell me what you think.

Sorry for the long wind! Thanks in advance.

Mac

The fabric cover above the battery was soaked in the bottom left corner, but got dry as you move up or right. There was also water on the battery near the positive terminal.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...hPRUo0eWtGUlZn

There is also water on this little metal lip where I'm pointing. I'm thinking it might have come from behind the black plastic on the left.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...Vy_ONpLW1I6c_r

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    I recently pulled my wagon headliner down ,well...., because beige, and I'm going to change it, and made a discovery.
    The boxes of parts piled in the back were getting wet, right in the center of the load floor.
    It seems that the antenna was leaking water, and with the headliner not there to flow the water down the side pillars, it became very obvious.
    We experience more than the average rain here.
    Since plugging it, no more water. I bought this car with a lake in the spare hole, and rust around the battery.
    10 straight days of rain, and the car is dry. You wouldn't think that much water could wick around a rubber grommet.
    I also pulled my roof rails first, thinking they were the cause, they weren't.

My Cars
    e39 2001 525i Touring
    Thanks Wagons Ho! I'll definitely check the antenna today and report back.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Yea I had to seal the antenna gasket

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Don't forget the tail light housings and the 1/4 rear windows!

Hose, flashlight, (Torch if your are in the UK) and a helper to work and hold the hose....
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    e39 2001 525i Touring
    Hey everyone, thanks for your help. It did turn out that water was coming in through the cell antenna seal. I took all the hatch trim off and found that it had been flowing down the right side towards the battery. I sealed it, so hopefully that's fixed. I'm going to test tomorrow again to make sure.

On another note, when I put everything back together, my hatch door now won't close entirely. It clicks shut but the motor on the bumper won't activate. I did disconnect the battery to do the work I did today and also had to use the emergency release hatch pull to open the rear door because of it. I can't think of any other reason that the bottom motor won't activate, but that will be my task for tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your help. You saved me a ton of time.

My Cars
    '97 Chevy Camaro, '89 Merkur XR4Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwaystouring View Post
    Hey everyone, thanks for your help. It did turn out that water was coming in through the cell antenna seal. I took all the hatch trim off and found that it had been flowing down the right side towards the battery. I sealed it, so hopefully that's fixed. I'm going to test tomorrow again to make sure.

On another note, when I put everything back together, my hatch door now won't close entirely. It clicks shut but the motor on the bumper won't activate. I did disconnect the battery to do the work I did today and also had to use the emergency release hatch pull to open the rear door because of it. I can't think of any other reason that the bottom motor won't activate, but that will be my task for tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your help. You saved me a ton of time.
    You gotta push the latch mechanism all the way back on the hatch then close it. Sometimes the latch goes out of sync with the closing and opening.
    2001 BMW 525iT - Stock Daily Driver and Tow Rig
    2001.5 Audi S4 - Stage 3 Bi Turbo
    My Blog of Cars, Guns, Computers, and other hobbies

My Cars
    e39 2001 525i Touring
    Thanks Chrono, that was it! It's amazing what a few millimeters will do.

My Cars
    1999 528iT/5
    Wow you are right next door to me Alwaystouring! How exactly did you go about sealing (or resealing) the cell phone antenna? I may have the same issue.
    Last edited by Isis M; 02-03-2021 at 04:21 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6

Water near battery of my e39 525i Wagon

Remove it and use a Doorman 3/4” rubber diff housing seal.

DORMAN HELP! 65293 Differential Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CO96JA/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottieducati; 02-14-2021 at 06:23 PM.

My Cars
    1999 528iT/5
    Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Remove it and use a Doorman 3/4” rubber diff housing seal.

DORMAN HELP! 65293 Differential Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CO96JA/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thanks do you silicone around the opening and then just pop this in?