Thread: Loose Sideskirt/Rocker panel

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i

Loose Sideskirt/Rocker panel

Before I do anything to my sideskirt/rocker panel I want to ask if anyone knows how to go about this? I was looking over a DIY from 12 years ago for the side skirt, but it was for a pre-face lift and I do not have holes with screws and seems to be using a different part number. I'm thinking of using double sided tape, but I want to do this the right way.

image3 (1).jpegimage2 (1).jpeg image4.jpeg

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by GZilla View Post
    Before I do anything to my sideskirt/rocker panel I want to ask if anyone knows how to go about this? I was looking over a DIY from 12 years ago for the side skirt, but it was for a pre-face lift and I do not have holes with screws and seems to be using a different part number. I'm thinking of using double sided tape, but I want to do this the right way.

image3 (1).jpegimage2 (1).jpeg image4.jpeg
    So I have the same issue on mine, did all new clips but PO clipped a curb or rock and ruined the rails. I ended up drilling both ends of skirt and as cleanly as possible zip tied. Not perfect but I know it won't blow off at speed.

Otherwise, front and rear are metal clips. You need to unbolt from car to remove full skirt.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    I recently did this job on my car. I will have to do it again because the front came loose, dangit. Perhaps next time I will take some pix.

There is a series of expanding rivets and a couple of screws underneath the car that need to be removed. The clips at the front and rear have studs with plastic nuts on them that need to be loosened after gaining access by pulling out on the bottom of the inner fender liners. You can then slide the entire skirt either forwards or backwards to remove from the clips along the body.

Usually these come loose because the clip mounts molded into the side skirt snap and no longer hold the clips. They will be broken but still loosely attached to the side skirt, and can be carefully reattached/reinforced with some JB Weld.

The front and rear clips are metal and will rust, so good time to replace them if they are rusty. Also, you want to remove the clips from the holes in the body and slide them into the side skirt before reattaching. I would just replace them since they are old and easy to break when removing.

I thought it would be a pain of a job, it's really pretty easy, hardest part is finding the will to get started.

Checked E38.org and this is for the facelift car. 99-00 may be black but still have the plastic skirts. Prefacelift cars don't have the skirts. Underneath the FL skirts looks exactly like the PFL except FL has the holes for the clips.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/362116
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    I recently did this job on my car. I will have to do it again because the front came loose, dangit. Perhaps next time I will take some pix.

There is a series of expanding rivets and a couple of screws underneath the car that need to be removed. The clips at the front and rear have studs with plastic nuts on them that need to be loosened after gaining access by pulling out on the bottom of the inner fender liners. You can then slide the entire skirt either forwards or backwards to remove from the clips along the body.

Usually these come loose because the clip mounts molded into the side skirt snap and no longer hold the clips. They will be broken but still loosely attached to the side skirt, and can be carefully reattached/reinforced with some JB Weld.

The front and rear clips are metal and will rust, so good time to replace them if they are rusty. Also, you want to remove the clips from the holes in the body and slide them into the side skirt before reattaching. I would just replace them since they are old and easy to break when removing.

I thought it would be a pain of a job, it's really pretty easy, hardest part is finding the will to get started.

Checked E38.org and this is for the facelift car. 99-00 may be black but still have the plastic skirts. Prefacelift cars don't have the skirts. Underneath the FL skirts looks exactly like the PFL except FL has the holes for the clips.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/362116
    Thank you for that link! I went about and repaired my side skirt with that DIY! Apparantley one of the white screws/pins was stuck inside the rocker panel structure which caused the plastic clip to unhinge. I superglued them together, fixed the rubber gasket, and cleaned all the other pins and plastics, as well as the underside and the whole side skirt. Really changed up the look of the car!

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by GZilla View Post
    I went about and repaired my side skirt with that DIY! Apparantley one of the white screws/pins was stuck inside the rocker panel structure which caused the plastic clip to unhinge. I superglued them together, fixed the rubber gasket, and cleaned all the other pins and plastics, as well as the underside and the whole side skirt. Really changed up the look of the car!
    How is your superglue repair holding? The front driver side rocker panel on my car has come loose. I ordered a few of the clips, but after reading this thread I realize I may need to order more depending on what I find. I'm not likely to replace the rocker panel, so superglue or JB Weld plastic epoxy might be what I end up using if necessary.