Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Turbo M3 Finally Complete

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Most factory cars run turbos with internal wastegates. Most aftermarket turbo kits run external wastegates, which is why you see an extra hole on the manifold to bypass exhaust gas energy. The reason is that the internal one has to be smaller to fit. Sometimes you need a bigger one to control boost. Location and routing also has an effect.

Very do twin turbos on the E36 It is more complex and there is no need. A modern reasonably sized single is responsive on a 2.5-3.2L. If you feel like you must put those antique turbos to use, do it and post how it works out. You might find some posts or threads from people who have done similar things if you search. I vaguely recall reading of some over the years. To me, there would be zero benefit. There is one shop with a very nicely done twin Z3 M Coupe, but it’s all professionally fabricated high end stuff that makes 800+ rwhp.

My Cars
    e36
    The advantage i see is the cost effectiveness of the turbos compared to the multi thousand turbos most use. I don't think they're antique, they produce pressure just as a turbo should. Exhaust or pressure side turbine diameter could be not ideal for this application but that's not related to it being antique. Besides that i don't see what makes this turbo worse than a newer model. But i have never turbod an e36 so i'm just fantasizing.
    Last edited by importbanana; 12-01-2020 at 01:49 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The design of the turbo impellers 20 years ago is not as efficient as today in terms of aerodynamics/efficiency. You don’t need to spend multi thousands of dollars to get a good turbo, although it is possible to spend over $2k. Some of the Borg Warner are around $600. A Precision 6262 is about $1000 and there are some chinese turbos that are earning a decent reputation if you read widely among forced induction forums.

You could certainly rig something up that would make boost — but what the Audi did 20 years ago is peanuts today. An M50/52/S50/52 with nothing but a compression lowering headgasket can reliably do 500 rwhp. It’s easier with the 3.2 than the 2.5 and more displacement helps boost. The bang for the buck is the M52, which you can find for $500 if you are patient.

Run a tried and true bottom mount like the SPA, a mid size T3 turbo with a compressor around 60mm, a 38mm wastegate, a blow off valve, an inexpensive front mount intercooler from CX Racing or step up to Treadstone, a 60lb ECU tune, and a 3” exhaust and 400 rwhp is easy. Closer to 500 rwhp with S52 cams.

I have a couple of twin turbo cars, but my single turbo E36 will run away from them.

My Cars
    e36
    You're probably right, the modern turbos aren't that expensive and they're more efficient.

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
    Fronts are relatively easy-mid difficulty due to all the segments, but I highly recommend steaming the foam to restore the original shape due to their age. I used a garment steamer and they work well. You will also need a pneumatic stapler to finish the vader head rests. This is my 3rd interior I've put covers on and they aren't really difficult with the proper tools (hog ring pliers and a steamer). Just go slow and tackle a seat a day. Heavy use of steam on covers to relax the leather and ease wrinkles. LSeat front covers (5/10) are significantly better patterns than the rear (3/10). I had the door cards sprayed to match. I would not recommend doing this to the seats as it's not the most durable finish and I highly doubt it would hold up long term (especially if changing the color). Same color would not be as noticeable if any chips come off. The covers are tough to beat for $150/ea. The foam pops back up to almost new when hit with steam. It's amazing.

Lseat covers are cheap and it takes some skill and attention to detail to get them to look like this.
    Thanks for your response, Im wondering if it would be worth it to buy lseat covers and then just have a local upholstery shop steam and install them for me who has the expertise.
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]
    89 E30 325is [sold & missed]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12