Thread: HELP Steering Wheel Swap to 3 spoke M sport

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan

HELP Steering Wheel Swap to 3 spoke M sport

So I picked up a single stage M sport wheel. I have a 1998 M3 sedan with the stock airbag wheel. I assumed this was plug n play but it is not. I only have the 2 wire harness coming from the stock steering wheel but the 3 spoke has 2 different connectors. Which ones do I need to splice? I saw thread below.

Here is my understanding.
    I should be able to plug the round connector as is.
    Where do I connect the brown wire (horn) from 3 spoke?
    Also I need a new column steering column switch bracket?

http://www.frankies-bmw.com/3series/...ring_wheel.php

For 94 and all M3's (cars with slip ring '804):

These cars use a slightly different stock slip ring (airbag connectors are different from 92-93 but same as '95-on). However, the horn circuits are the same as the 92-93 E36's.
    This means you'll only need to splice into the horn wire on the new '111 slip ring and replace the steering column switch bracket. The airbag connector will be a direct plug-in, saving time.
    The procedure is the same as above, omitting airbag wire splicing (most of steps 6-9). Easy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blkmz3; 11-17-2020 at 07:33 PM.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by blkmz3 View Post
    1) Where do I connect the brown wire (horn) from 3 spoke?
    2) Also I need a new column steering column switch bracket?
    1) Remove the lower plastic steering column cover, you will see the wire that goes from the white contact that is in the 2 o'clock position, that is what you will cut and splice to the smaller brown wire on the new clock spring.
    2) Yes.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    The link you provided is the "ultimate guide" as far as I'm concerned. Has everything you need to know in a nice short and concise way. He lists exactly what P/N you need. I got everything off eBay, no issues.

You need, slip ring, air bag, switch bracket, and to splice the wires as mentioned above. You will have one wire coming from the car that will be not connected to anything.

1. Slip ring: 32 34 1 162 111
    2. Airbag
    3. Switch bracket:
    32 31 1 162 088
    Last edited by Carpy2; 11-17-2020 at 09:56 PM.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    1) Remove the lower plastic steering column cover, you will see the wire that goes from the white contact that is in the 2 o'clock position, that is what you will cut and splice to the smaller brown wire on the new clock spring.
    2) Yes.
    Thanks. I already have a 111 slip ring on the 3 spoke. The feedback on the horn wire is exactly what I was wondering. I will go ahead and order the new switch bracket. One last thing is do I need to rewind or rotate the 111 slip ring? I read something about it needs to be 2.5x turns from each side? I don't want the clock spring snapping on full turn. It has happened before on my E90.

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    One last thing is do I need to rewind or rotate the 111 slip ring? I read something about it needs to be 2.5x turns from each side? I don't want the clock spring snapping on full turn. It has happened before on my E90.
    Brand new slip rings are delivered with a plastic pin that locks it in the centered position. You pull the pin and install the wheel and it's that simple. If you have a used slip ring then yes, you need to ensure it's properly centered within its rotating range before installing the wheel.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    Appreciate all the feedback.

What is different about the switch bracket 32 31 1 162 088 than stock?

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    At least one of the contacts or the locking pin held by the switch bracket is in a different location depending on the wheel. You need to match the switch bracket with the wheel and clockspring that you have so that everything lines up and functions. Unfortunately I didn't take photos when I did my Euro wheel retrofit, but if you try to install with the wrong switch bracket it'll be pretty obvious.

Edit: If I remember correctly it's #12 in the attached drawing that is on one side of the column with one switch bracket and the opposite side with the other bracket.

switch bracket.PNG
    Last edited by NoLastName; 11-18-2020 at 10:54 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    Here is a picture of the old (left) vs. new (right) switch bracket. I was able to successfully install the 3 spoke M sport wheel last week. Also, the brown wire pictured on the old bracket is the horn circuit. I cut off that connector and spliced it onto the brown wire of the 3 spoke wheel. The spring pin for the slip ring was swapped over to the new bracket.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blkmz3; 11-27-2020 at 05:06 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3, 23 A5 Sportback
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, but since it's somewhat related - are all BMW steering wheels compatible between all the models, and regardless of model year? including newer steering wheels that have controls mounted on them such as radio volume control, cruise control, etc?

One of the last remaining members of the E36 M3 original owners club...a dying breed indeed.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by SIIDEWAYS View Post
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, but since it's somewhat related - are all BMW steering wheels compatible between all the models, and regardless of model year? including newer steering wheels that have controls mounted on them such as radio volume control, cruise control, etc?
    The link in post #1 to Frankies website shows a few options that are almost plug and play.

Some people are using dual-stage from later cars and wiring them up in E36s as single stage.

If you want a 3-spoke sport wheel (early E39) with working radio (MFL) and cruise control, there is a way to make those work relatively easy for the radio https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ral-DIY/page20 but more work for the cruise.
    Adding MFL to work with an aftermarket radio and was inexpensive addition if you are converting to the 3 spoke sport wheel and worth it.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    97 M3, 23 A5 Sportback
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    The link in post #1 to Frankies website shows a few options that are almost plug and play.

Some people are using dual-stage from later cars and wiring them up in E36s as single stage.

If you want a 3-spoke sport wheel (early E39) with working radio (MFL) and cruise control, there is a way to make those work relatively easy for the radio https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ral-DIY/page20 but more work for the cruise.
    Adding MFL to work with an aftermarket radio and was inexpensive addition if you are converting to the 3 spoke sport wheel and worth it.
    Thanks for the info, but I'm just interested in making sure a more modern (i.e. F10) steering wheel itself is compatible to an E36. I don't care about making the steering wheel mounted controls work for cruise, radio, etc. (except for the horn of course, which I do want) just want to make sure the wheel fits and works.

One of the last remaining members of the E36 M3 original owners club...a dying breed indeed.

My Cars
    97 M3, 23 A5 Sportback
    So I picked up a single stage M sport wheel. I have a 1998 M3 sedan with the stock airbag wheel. I assumed this was plug n play but it is not. I only have the 2 wire harness coming from the stock steering wheel but the 3 spoke has 2 different connectors. Which ones do I need to splice? I saw thread below.

Here is my understanding.
    I should be able to plug the round connector as is.
    Where do I connect the brown wire (horn) from 3 spoke?
    Also I need a new column steering column switch bracket?

http://www.frankies-bmw.com/3series/...ring_wheel.php
    So I needlessly confused myself reading the above and the link. Turns out this is info and instructions for installing an airbag-equipped M 3-spoke or Sport (Euro) 3-spoke steering wheel, whereas I have the M-Tech II wheel w/o the airbag. And it further turns out that installing this type of wheel is far easier than one with an airbag (like only 3-4 easy steps vs. the complicated mess in the Frankie's link!). And there's no need to buy a super expensive slip-ring with all the necessary wires (which is like $175-$250! ) or a new switch bracket, as all you need for the M-Tech II is a $9 slip ring!
    Last edited by SIIDEWAYS; 02-01-2021 at 09:09 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by SIIDEWAYS View Post
    All wheel up to 3/99 are compatible with the E36. Newer models can be made to fit, but will need machining. Dual stage airbags will obviously not work (well only one of the two circuits).

I went all out and used MFL buttons from E39 wheel (and keeping my smaller diameter original EU 3-spoke) and swapped the blanks for the button pods. So working radio/mfl/carphone. Then later added Shift paddles and used the slipring of an E38 heated steering wheel for the two extra connections (for up and down shift signals)
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Then later added Shift paddles and used the slipring of an E38 heated steering wheel for the two extra connections (for up and down shift signals)
    Can you post a few pictures of your wheel with the paddle shifters?
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Took these of my IG feed as my original pics are not https and no longer show correctly on forums I noticed.

1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/