Thread: Help, Cooling system overhaul problem, heater not blowing hot air, engine shut off.

My Cars
    1994 E36 320i

Help, Cooling system overhaul problem, heater not blowing hot air, engine shut off.

Hello fellows,

I just replaced my waterpump, thermostat & it's housing, upper & lower radiator hose. Before that my waterpump broken so i did that overhaul and flush all the coolant. After refilling the coolant, there were little air bubles and coolant comming out from the bleed screw.So i started the engine, did some revs @200rpm then some air bubles came out from the bleed screw but the upper radiator hose seemed to not have pressure but it was hot. And also the heater did not blow hot air. The temp gauge was normal, it stopped at the middle and pointing up. The engine also shut off itself and i had to wait several minutes to start it again.

I tried to jack up the car and topped up some coolants and bleed but after running for about ten mintues, the engine shut off itself and the heater still blow cold air.

How to overcome these problems?

Thank you..

My Cars
    97 M3/2, '13 Focus ST

Help, Cooling system overhaul problem, heater not blowing hot air, engine shut off.

Shogun and others have some good advice in this thread. Worth checking out: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...emp-solved-CPS

Edit: the heater not blowing hot indicates you still have air in the system. Continue bleeding. But I don’t have any advice for the shutoff issue unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by UsernaM3; 11-13-2020 at 02:35 AM.

My Cars
    1994 E36 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by UsernaM3 View Post
    Shogun and others have some good advice in this thread. Worth checking out: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...emp-solved-CPS

Edit: the heater not blowing hot indicates you still have air in the system. Continue bleeding. But I don’t have any advice for the shutoff issue unfortunately.

Hi UsernaM3, thanks for the link..it really helps..
    Seems that i have bad crankshaft position sensor (cps). Tested the resistance of the sensor but the value was too small from the spec. I'll try to replace the cps and tried to bleed the cooling system again..thank you very much.

My Cars
    97 M3/2, '13 Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by lorensiuswlt View Post
    Hi UsernaM3, thanks for the link..it really helps..
    Seems that i have bad crankshaft position sensor (cps). Tested the resistance of the sensor but the value was too small from the spec. I'll try to replace the cps and tried to bleed the cooling system again..thank you very much.
    Nice (finding a solution, sucks it’s bad lol)! Let us know how it goes.

My Cars
    1994 E36 320i
    Nice (finding a solution, sucks it’s bad lol)! Let us know how it goes.

Hi UsernaM3,

I've replaced the bad crankshaft position sensor, the engine shut off proble solved. I've tried flush and refill the coolant, bleed until no air bubble coming out from the bleed screw but still now hot air from the vents.

Thank you

My Cars
    e36
    you need to turn on the heater to max temp, lowest fan setting, and while bleeding rev the warm engine to 4-5k rpm. high flow is needed to flush the air out. had the same dozen times before

My Cars
    97 M3/2, '13 Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by lorensiuswlt View Post
    Hi UsernaM3,

I've replaced the bad crankshaft position sensor, the engine shut off proble solved. I've tried flush and refill the coolant, bleed until no air bubble coming out from the bleed screw but still now hot air from the vents.

Thank you
    Glad to hear that fixed the issue!

Just like the poster above me said.

I followed the Bentley manual for the initial fill.

1) turn key to on position (without starting vehicle)
    2) turn air to max temp and Max air pressure
    3) open bleed screw and begin filling. Keep filling until the reservoir won’t take any more coolant
    4) burp the upper and lower hoses while doing this (just give them a good squeeze)

After that, I did the following (I have a ramp into my garage so I parked half the car in the garage and half outside. You can also use ramps or just jack the car up in the front):

1) unscrew reservoir cap or leave It on very, very loose (this is to keep the system from over pressurizing).
    2) start engine (again max fan and heat) and allow the car to warm up to temp. 2a)Keep an eye on the reservoir and fill as needed. Periodically releasing the bleed screw.
    3) once at temp, hop in the car and rev the motor to about 2.5-3k RPMs and keep it there for about 5 seconds. Let off the gas and do that again.
    4) get out, go to the bleed screw and release the bleed screw which will allow air to come out. Tighten the screw and repeat step 3 and fill coolant as necessary.
    5) over time the coolant can get hot enough to expand and start to flow out of the reservoir. If this happens, shut the car off and let it cool until the level is down to a reasonable level.

Other things to note: I also would stand at the front of the car and rev the motor just by opening the throttle body. What I noticed was that I could see a stream of coolant in the top of the reservoir which leads from the upper return hose. When you rev the motor and you don’t have bubbles in that stream, you’re basically bled.

Another thing I’d do is occasionally burp the upper and lower radiator hoses. Not sure if it helped, but it can’t hurt.

Keep coolant in your car for the next couple days. And be sure to check the level before each drive.

Hopefully that helps! Bleeding these without a vacuum fill tool can be a pain. Be patient and keep an eye on the temp gauge. If you start to feel uneasy or that the car has been on a long time, there’s nothing wrong with shutting her down and letting it cool to start over later.

My Cars
    e36
    2) max air is unnecessary

only max temp is important

2.5k or 3k rpm might not be enough, don't hesitate to rev higher when it's warm, i guarantee you 2k rpm is not enough, 5k will get that air out of there. spent hours before like you did to find out why heat doesn't work and then it suddenly all worked after higher revs. it needs the high flow to flush the air out of there.

people keep saying e36 are hard to bleed. one just needs to do it properly.
    Last edited by importbanana; 11-21-2020 at 07:13 PM.

My Cars
    1994 E36 320i
    Hi UsernaM3 & importbanan,

Sorry for the late replay and thank you very much for the suggestions. I've driven the car since last bleeding, the vent still blowing cold air and the engine temp needle still pointing up (no overheat). Yesterday i tried to bleed again as your suggestions, but still no hot air. When bleeding, i saw bubbles coming out from the screw. I did some rev by opening the throttle body, i guess it was 2.5-4k rpm. I'll try to bleed again next morning. If it doesn't work, could it be caused by clogged heater valve? because my previous water pump impeller was broken into pieces inside.

Glad to hear that fixed the issue!

Just like the poster above me said.

I followed the Bentley manual for the initial fill.

1) turn key to on position (without starting vehicle)
    2) turn air to max temp and Max air pressure
    3) open bleed screw and begin filling. Keep filling until the reservoir won’t take any more coolant
    4) burp the upper and lower hoses while doing this (just give them a good squeeze)

After that, I did the following (I have a ramp into my garage so I parked half the car in the garage and half outside. You can also use ramps or just jack the car up in the front):

1) unscrew reservoir cap or leave It on very, very loose (this is to keep the system from over pressurizing).
    2) start engine (again max fan and heat) and allow the car to warm up to temp. 2a)Keep an eye on the reservoir and fill as needed. Periodically releasing the bleed screw.
    3) once at temp, hop in the car and rev the motor to about 2.5-3k RPMs and keep it there for about 5 seconds. Let off the gas and do that again.
    4) get out, go to the bleed screw and release the bleed screw which will allow air to come out. Tighten the screw and repeat step 3 and fill coolant as necessary.
    5) over time the coolant can get hot enough to expand and start to flow out of the reservoir. If this happens, shut the car off and let it cool until the level is down to a reasonable level.

Other things to note: I also would stand at the front of the car and rev the motor just by opening the throttle body. What I noticed was that I could see a stream of coolant in the top of the reservoir which leads from the upper return hose. When you rev the motor and you don’t have bubbles in that stream, you’re basically bled.

Another thing I’d do is occasionally burp the upper and lower radiator hoses. Not sure if it helped, but it can’t hurt.

Keep coolant in your car for the next couple days. And be sure to check the level before each drive.

Hopefully that helps! Bleeding these without a vacuum fill tool can be a pain. Be patient and keep an eye on the temp gauge. If you start to feel uneasy or that the car has been on a long time, there’s nothing wrong with shutting her down and letting it cool to start over later.
    Quote Originally Posted by importbanana View Post
    you need to turn on the heater to max temp, lowest fan setting, and while bleeding rev the warm engine to 4-5k rpm. high flow is needed to flush the air out. had the same dozen times before
    2) max air is unnecessary

only max temp is important

2.5k or 3k rpm might not be enough, don't hesitate to rev higher when it's warm, i guarantee you 2k rpm is not enough, 5k will get that air out of there. spent hours before like you did to find out why heat doesn't work and then it suddenly all worked after higher revs. it needs the high flow to flush the air out of there.

people keep saying e36 are hard to bleed. one just needs to do it properly.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Its possible the heater valve is bad that does happen but the fact that the old WP blew up means there's a good chance the head is cracked and that's why you see some bubbles when you do some bleeding. I would say next step is to get a test kit to see if there's exhaust gasses in the coolant. If its positive you can then do a compression test.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1994 E36 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Its possible the heater valve is bad that does happen but the fact that the old WP blew up means there's a good chance the head is cracked and that's why you see some bubbles when you do some bleeding. I would say next step is to get a test kit to see if there's exhaust gasses in the coolant. If its positive you can then do a compression test.
    Hi Eric93se,

Thanks for the info, i'll try that . So far the car working great, except for the heater. I'm rarely use that so that's not a big problem but it is still on my diy to do list ).

Regards.

My Cars
    e36
    I tell you again you didn't rev high and long enough to flow the air out there, while the heater temp was set to max. You've no idea how high you revved as you didn't look at the dash but did it by moving the throttle body in the engine bay.

Not saying it's that, but it doesn't cost anything and therefore you should try that first.
    Last edited by importbanana; 12-14-2020 at 02:52 AM.

My Cars
    1994 E36 320i
    I tell you again you didn't rev high and long enough to flow the air out there, while the heater temp was set to max. You've no idea how high you revved as you didn't look at the dash but did it by moving the throttle body in the engine bay.

Not saying it's that, but it doesn't cost anything and therefore you should try that first.
    Thanks importbanana, i'll try that, definitely on my to do list.

Regards