Thread: Pic of box where cables meet in Manual top cars

My Cars
    1988 32ix, 99 M3 Cabrio

Pic of box where cables meet in Manual top cars

Hi -

I can't find a clear pic online of where the 3 cables meet in the tonneau area on manual top cars.

I am converting my car and have all new, stock parts. But I cant figure out how to get them hooked up.

I have done it a few ways, but none of them can I pull the cable and pop the lock.

Thanks!

My Cars
    1988 32ix, 99 M3 Cabrio
    Update. I figured it out.

Having worked at a bike shop, I am quite familiar with the Bowden cables. they operate just like brake and shift cables.

And the brand new ones I ordered had the casing too long. Even with the adjusters all the way in, they were too tight. They were definitely made wrong. They would not even fit on the posts. I trimmed just the casing by an inch (what a pain because could not fully disassemble. I just unwound the wire wrapper with needle nose pliers and then snipped it). Now it works nicely.

Just frustrating that the parts did not fit. And as I noted, it is all new parts in stock locations.

My Cars
    E36 318iC 6mt vert
    20190701_160754.jpg

I case someone in the future needs a pic. Sorry, it's sideways but you get the idea.

The top one* goes to the actuator lever. The middle one goes to the passenger side latch and the bottom one goes to the driver's side. *top being closest to the rubber bumper sticking out
    Last edited by Mr. Bill; 11-27-2020 at 06:20 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Techno M3 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by nkgosselin View Post
    Hi -

I can't find a clear pic online of where the 3 cables meet in the tonneau area on manual top cars.

I am converting my car and have all new, stock parts. But I cant figure out how to get them hooked up.

I have done it a few ways, but none of them can I pull the cable and pop the lock.

Thanks!
    i know there are write ups on this topic. this is something i will be tackling possibly this summer. where did you get your parts from? Is that little box really that expensive? i have seen it on some sites for over $300

My Cars
    E36 318iC 6mt vert
    Quote Originally Posted by MN MCoupe View Post
    i know there are write ups on this topic. this is something i will be tackling possibly this summer. where did you get your parts from? Is that little box really that expensive? i have seen it on some sites for over $300
    66 6 has all the parts you'll need and he's great to deal with!

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Thanks Mr. Bill,
    Just sold my last set of manual tonneau parts with the manual top parts.... I'm always looking for more manual cars.