Thread: Android + carplay system for E46 - Perfect fit - read carefully

My Cars
    00 528, 73 2002

Android + carplay system for E46 - Perfect fit - read carefully

Long story short - wanted to upgrade to carplay, watched lots of videos, bought a plug and play recommended unit - missed one important point: The unit I bought is great BUT it's way more complicated to install on a Harman Kardon + navi + convertible like mine. On other cars it's plug and play. On mine it requires knowlegde, adapters and major disassembly to route the 6 ft cable to the trunk AMP and nav system. Nope. Not doing it. However IF your radio is the kind that fits the adapters shown on the website below, it is IS plug and play and you can check on many you tube videos...

The unit is an Xtrons PSD8046BL which is a perfect fit for an E46 dash. I know, I put it in, superb - matches the upper to lower dash transition like a factory system - not sticking out. Too bad my car came with totally different connectors. I recommend you pull your radio to check, it takes, oh, 2 minutes (2 trim pieces, 4 screws) and see if yours has that big square plug (one is bullet style one is blade type, but big square). If you have NAvi and harman Kardon you have 2 small 12 prong connectors (1 white and 1 blue) - do NOT buy this unit if you do.

Apparently I cannot embed non-hosted pics here (???) but I can send some... so here are some links.

The unit is here, note the shape fitting the dash:

https://xtrons.com/bmw-various-built...-rom-psd8046bl

Please scroll the pictures to see all the cables and adapters coming with, including the can Bus thing, GPS antenna, you name it. 2 kinds of adapters, older and newer E46 (square block).

I've seen lots of videos and most E46s have those adapters - just not mine due to the HK amp + navigation...Again DO NOT buy this if you have a harman Kardon system or you'll be in the same boat I'm on. Doable by a pro, but PITA for regular guy.

I also got the extra Carplay adapter ($80 or so?) and extension for a total about $500.

Yours for $250+free shipping in US. New in the box, took it out just to slide it in as a test firment. Plastic still on the screen and accessories ! Never powered on (obviously) Wish I could post pics here to show so if you PM interest I can send some.
    Last edited by Deschodt; 11-19-2020 at 06:18 PM.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 328i
    Did you find a unit that works with Harman Kardon + navi + convertible? I would like to upgrade my 2012 328i audio to CarPlay but all of the audio shops I have called tell me it cannot be done.

My Cars
    00 528, 73 2002
    I have not... the utlimate irony here is I found this thread while looking for a new answer, and it's my own thread ;-(