Thread: 760iL with V12 General Questions...

My Cars
    840ci/540i/540i Touring

760iL with V12 General Questions...

I am considering buying a 2004 760iL with the v12 engine. The car only has 44K miles. However, it's currently not running. I haven't had the chance to look at it yet (tomorrow). I don't why the car isn't running nor do I have any history.

Other than bringing a battery, what should I look for? I have a 1997 840ci and a 2001 540i Touring so I don't have much experience with the V12's.

I know this is very vague but that's all the info I have right now until I see the car!

THANKS!

My Cars
    $$$$$$$$

That's what you need to know. Especially one that's not running, and you don't know why. Maybe you drop in a battery, and all is well. Or it could be a money pit. Hard to say until you see it in person and get more information.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    840ci/540i/540i Touring
    White94RX, thanks for the reply. I finally looked at the car and it was very clean inside and out. But, there was no key! It sold for $3700 at auction, which was about $1700 more than i was willing to risk. I thought it was odd for it to sell that high. perhaps the other bidders knew something about the car to make them pay that much?

My Cars
    They're obviously expecting it's not going to take much money to get it running, then sell it for a profit. They could be right, or they could be sorely mistaken.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2000 750iLP
    Quote Originally Posted by idfotou View Post
    I am considering buying a 2004 760iL with the v12 engine. The car only has 44K miles. However, it's currently not running. I haven't had the chance to look at it yet (tomorrow). I don't why the car isn't running nor do I have any history.

Other than bringing a battery, what should I look for? I have a 1997 840ci and a 2001 540i Touring so I don't have much experience with the V12's.

I know this is very vague but that's all the info I have right now until I see the car!

THANKS!
    Actually, I picked up that car. I finally got it shipped to me today. It runs completely fine. The key was temporarily missing. One of the pictures showed the key sitting on the center console--so I had the auction house do some serious searching until they found it--which they did. It definitely has a draw on the battery and a few other quirks, but pretty much everything else works fine. I do have a question for you--when you looked at it, was there damage by the sidemarker on the driver fender? I am thinking the tow company scraped it when they brought it to the transport facility. While a 760 is not for the faint of heart--there is not reason to run at that price considering it was a one-owner car with only 49k on it.

My Cars
    BMW 740il, Mercedes S430
    A lot of people say run, but I’m in the process of building one. I just love these cars way too much. The amount of options and power just excites me

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonMTB View Post
    Actually, I picked up that car. I finally got it shipped to me today. It runs completely fine. The key was temporarily missing. One of the pictures showed the key sitting on the center console--so I had the auction house do some serious searching until they found it--which they did. It definitely has a draw on the battery and a few other quirks, but pretty much everything else works fine. I do have a question for you--when you looked at it, was there damage by the sidemarker on the driver fender? I am thinking the tow company scraped it when they brought it to the transport facility. While a 760 is not for the faint of heart--there is not reason to run at that price considering it was a one-owner car with only 49k on it.
    Congrats... I think you got a great deal for a car with only 49K mi.
    E65's get a bad wrap but I have 2 and love them both. Plenty of cheap parts avail at the junk yard too.

My Cars
    760Li, e30 320iSE, e61M5
    Draw on the battery. That sounds familiar. Have you got it sorted yet?