Thread: Two questions regarding the front shocks and upper mount(s)

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door

Two questions regarding the front shocks and upper mount(s)

Good evening,

firstly i am looking for the special bilstein tool used to torque down the strut in the housing. I would like someone to confirm for the 51mm strut housings and the B8 sport plus shocks this is the correct tool: 14-244131

Secondly, i have something strange with the upper mounts. I suspected they were faulty, so i took off the strut and the upper mount. As i checked the mount, there was noticeable play while everything was installed (meaning springs were not compressed and the 19mm top nut was tight).

As i removed the mount and tested it alone, without anything else mounted, it was as tight as a drum. I followed the ETK and yes, the big (sort of thick) washer sits at the spring plate, then comes that washer cap for the mount, then another washer up top and the nut, so i am not missing any pieces. I suspect it was not torqued down correctly (bilstein recommends 45mm for the M12 nut while the Bentley recommends 65nm). Sadly, the inner 6mm allen was chewed up and some threads for that bolt (on the strut) are also damaged (looks like someone drove in those nuts via an impact gun) so new struts are on order.

But id like to ask about the play in the mounts only when installed.

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Well, i still can not figure out, why the upper strut mount(s) still have some play in them when i install them. Testing them again without them being installed and they are as tight as a drum.

Everything is correct, as i can see. The big washer on top of the hat, the grease protective washer under the mount, then comes a thin washer and then the 19mm nut on top of the mount. The play is minimal, but i watched videos showing how tight they are.

I shall give this one more shot, but i am searching for anything i am missing, if anyone has any ideas on what to check let me know.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    yours is doing better than the 88 i just did hte struts on. one side had all the washers and spacers you are talking about and the other had only the big one between the spring top plate and the bearing mount. who knows where they all are because who knows when they were last changed.

no play on this car though but these are kyb gas struts, not bilsteins.

and the old ones had a nut holding the struts in that had two slots opposite each other that seems to require a special tool to remove and the new replacement ones used ones that looked like a regular nut with flat spots for a big wrench all the way around
    Last edited by superj; 11-17-2020 at 09:07 AM.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    I just ordered all new hardware, meaning the thick washer that sits beneath the mount, the mount protection cap/washer as well as a new top mount washer (under the 19mm bolt).

What i can do, is order a second set of top mounts and compare them, already reserved a lift next Monday, so the whole strut will be removed and everything checked once more.

My Cars
    i looked at the diagrams and found what I am missing so I will have to take this car apart again sometime to fix it, once I order all the missing stuff.

hopefully yours gets fixed after that
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Well i installed all new washers (big washer under the spring cap, grease washer under the mount and top washer before the bolt).

I also decided to try one more brand, they are a local German company called Atec Germany and after mounting everything, there was no play at all, in both mounts. Finally, got that out of the way.

I found numerous threads on people complaining how those mounts have play, but i would never had expected to experience this from Sachs, Lemförder, Meyle and Febi brands, that is just insane. One note, those Atec brand ones have an advantage, the bearings are sealed with an O-ring (both inside the mount and under the mount) to keep the grease from being exposed. Something the OE and other brands lack.

No hardware was missing from mine, just replaced them to be sure.

My Cars
    Nice
    No e30s again.