Thread: Runflats vs. regular radial tires

My Cars
    2010 328i

Runflats vs. regular radial tires

Would like to hear from anyone who has left run flats for regular tires. pros/cons? Do you regret switching? did going to radials cause any problems? Thanks

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The riding and wearing run flats are Bridgestone drive guards, you can run what ever you want but I’d you don’t have a spare or run flats your stuck

My Cars
    2010 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    The riding and wearing run flats are Bridgestone drive guards, you can run what ever you want but I’d you don’t have a spare or run flats your stuck
    I'm sorry bud, not following you here

My Cars
    2001 525it
    So you can install regular tires or runflats, if you don’t have spare then it would be better to stick to runflats. One of the best riding and wearing runflats is the Bridgestone drive guard

My Cars
    05 330i
    Speaking from personal experience, I owned an R56 Mini that came with run-flats from the factory and they sucked. The sidewall was so stiff and unforgiving and you would feel every bump in the road no matter how miniscule. I had better riding cars with stiff-valved coilovers. Needless, I switched them out for some contintental DWS tires and car drove so much better. Much more forgiving in bumps and had a stronger contact to the road. Never regretted switching, I had one issue that ended up with calling AAA but was glad I did. AAA membership would cancel out the cost savings of not getting RFTs, but the ride itself is worth it. Not to mention the car lost a lot of rotational weight close to 40lbs! Run-flats are heavy and suck and the lower profile they get the worse they become and don't last very long.
    Last edited by justinca540i; 11-11-2020 at 06:34 PM.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    2015 X1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjfrank View Post
    Would like to hear from anyone who has left run flats for regular tires. pros/cons? Do you regret switching? did going to radials cause any problems? Thanks
    We switched to non run flats on my wife's X1 about a year ago. Add me to the run flat hater group, the ones that came with the vehicle drove absolutely awful. And i'm not even that picky. We now keep a small OEM (not BMW) kit in the car that contains a compressor and tire goo. Haven't had to use it yet though and are very happy with the replacement tires we have got. FWIW everyone I know who's car came with run flats switched them out pretty quickly for normal tires.

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    Quote Originally Posted by justinca540i View Post
    Speaking from personal experience, I owned an R56 Mini that came with run-flats from the factory and they sucked. The sidewall was so stiff and unforgiving and you would feel every bump in the road no matter how miniscule. I had better riding cars with stiff-valved coilovers. Needless, I switched them out for some contintental DWS tires and car drove so much better. Much more forgiving in bumps and had a stronger contact to the road. Never regretted switching, I had one issue that ended up with calling AAA but was glad I did. AAA membership would cancel out the cost savings of not getting RFTs, but the ride itself is worth it. Not to mention the car lost a lot of rotational weight close to 40lbs! Run-flats are heavy and suck and the lower profile they get the worse they become and don't last very long.
    I had an R53 MCS and it came stock with 16" runflats. I got a deal on some 18" wheels with some Yokohama Paradas. Going to 18" from 16" was a surprise as the car rode and tracked much better. Had a R56 MCS and it was fine with the stock runflats. The Countryman with 19s and runflats was a little much. My F10 535i came with 18" runflats and I swapped out for 20" non runflat, and the ride stayed the same. I can take them or leave them, but if I had to choose whne it comes to replacing tires, I would be more inclined to go non runflat if replacing all four.