Thread: Stone-walled by BMW USA - keys!

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 M Roadster

Stone-walled by BMW USA - keys!

BMW America is refusing to supply replacement keys (or key) for my BMW 1998 Z3 M Roadster. The people we're talking to claim that a 10 key issue has been reached for this vehicle. When pressed, they cannot/will not supply any details of how this limit was reached. They did offer to tear out all the existing mechanisms around the vehicle - $1200 in parts, and I can only guess at their labour bill!

I tried a PM to RocketSurgeon, no reply. We've never sought additional keys ourselves. The first key was lost in a house fire over a decade ago, and final remaining key just vanished. None of this story seems to help us negotiate another key.

Any ideas? I have searched online for 3rd party key providers, but have not found one that can help out with vehicles pre-2000.

We've both battled BMW by phone for hours at this point. Owing to the hours I am working, I'm running about $100 per day with Uber rides. We're not happy!
    1998 Z3 M Roadster
    Silver Spring MD

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I guess your not the original owner. The anti-theft system has a limit of 10 keys. However, it’s a computer running software and any computer’s software can be “updated.” PM Balidawg. He’s the software guru in these parts.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Once you reach 10 you have to rekey the car you order the lock set

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    That's right, thanks - we're not the original owner, have never ordered a key. Who knew that a. over the life of a vehicle, 10 keys might be deployed (wow), and b. that there WAS such a limit? It might be a useful additional disclosure for pre-sale. 'These keys are the last ones available for this vehicle'

!
    1998 Z3 M Roadster
    Silver Spring MD

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    quote: There are 10 'codes' for each car that are stored when the EWS module is manufactured and put into the car. There are 2 components to those numbers, the fixed number (doesn't change) and a rolling component (changes every time the car is started with that key). So BMW CAN'T actually make you another key, policy or no, it's not physically possible. Have you tried tracking down old owners? If you can, try calling them to see if they still have any keys laying around (worth a shot, no?).
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1-10-key-limit
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    BMW's not lying about the 10 key limit, but aftermarket solutions do exist. If you're technically inclined or know someone who is, the AK90 can read/write the key codes in your immobilizer and work around that limit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/V3-19-AK90-...wAAOSwElNe4ucD I don't know if any locksmiths offer that service and they'll also need to copy your key.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Thanks both Shogun and Cyrix2k. Yes, did try reaching out to the last owner (I think I found him; we purchased from him in 2009) - waiting to see if I can get any reply. The AK90 looks interesting, but I don't know anything about it, and guess that it would not go well if I tried this myself (although I am an owner of a Fluke multimeter and do a lot of small stuff myself, so comfortable with a lot of DIY if it looks realistic).

We may be at the end of this road here. Next, tow the vehicle to an Indie BMW mechanic, who will... break a window I guess, and start changing out computer, locks, what have you? Damn!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh... and there's no key to copy. That's the problem. We're at zero, and the car is a block of metal at this point.
    1998 Z3 M Roadster
    Silver Spring MD

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    Oh, I missed that there is no key at all. As you move forward, something else to look into is a EWS delete. I'd have to verify, but I believe all the immobilizer provides on your car is digital authentication for the key. Your engine ECU can be reprogrammed to ignore that (EWS delete) so it will start without the immobilizer which can make the process easier and cheaper. I think there's a rep from getbmwparts.com on here which is the parts department of BMW of Silver Spring - maybe you can sweet talk them into selling you a key with the understanding it won't work, but all you really need is the physical key cut with the EWS delete.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Update - last key found!! It turns out, my wife's handbag has developed a small hole, allowing both the key and her ear buds to disappear internally Searching for her 'buds, and 'voila'. We have a single key. Now to see if we can duplicate our single and get out of the danger zone. A celebration is in order (I think I spent a total of about 5 hours looking for this key).

Might go out and shop for lunch... and a new handbag for my darling wife.
    1998 Z3 M Roadster
    Silver Spring MD

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    Awesome! I believe this is the key blank you need. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Uncut-B...QAAOSwefNfIas2 If you need someone to cut it, I may be able to help. You'll still need an EWS delete for it to start the car.