Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: cupped tires on f33 with 25k miles

My Cars
    2010 Z4 6M, 2013 320xi

cupped tires on f33 with 25k miles

Hello. I have a 2015 f33. It has 25k miles on it. I just bought it. The car makes a thrumming sound almost like when only one window is open. It is worst around 40mph, but I can "sense" it all the way to zero. On smooth roads, it is always there, even at high speeds. There is almost no vibration. The car was out of alignment and it was adjusted by the dealer before I took delivery.

The sound has been a nuisance. In looking at problems, I checked the tires for issues. It turns out the outer edge of both front tires are cupped. They are rough, almost jagged as I run my hand over the outside edge. Neither inside edge of the front tires, nor the back tires have this -- they are smooth.

My question is what can/should I do? The tires have some life in them, but not a lot. Is this a tire issue? Or could it be a suspension issue? Or is it because of the bad alignment? I have one shot to make the dealer look at address the situation and I don't want to mess up my chances of fixing what could be a real problem.

Thanks.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    What brand of tires are there are all the tires the same size or do you have to different sizes

My Cars
    2010 Z4 6M, 2013 320xi
    The are all Pirelli run flats, I would expect they are original equipment. All are 225 45/18s.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Here’s a link to causes of cupping:
    https://www.bridgestonetire.com/trea.../tire-cupping#

What are road conditions where you drive? As noted in the link worn suspension parts can cause cupping. How does the car drive in straight, smooth roads? Is there any wandering? Does the car pull your either side?

I’m not a fan of either run flats or pirelli tires. Ok, that said, we’re the tires cupped when you bought the car, or has cupping developed since you’ve owned the car? Dealer alignments can vary as techs’ alignment knowledge and skill vary. I’d get the alignment print out from the dealer and post a picture of the data for techs on this forum to check it.

Talk with the service manager and not a service advisor. The DM makes the decisions.