Thread: E46 Track Car Weight Loss

My Cars
    E39 528i, E46 325ti

E46 Track Car Weight Loss

Hi All, just looking for some advice on what else I could possibly remove or even cut out to remove some more weight from my E46 Compact 325ti?

I'm making it into a track car but it still needs to be road legal(mostly!) here in the UK.

So far I've removed the following and been weighing it all as I go...

Carpet - 16.5kg
    Front Floor Mats - 2.3kg
    Centre Console lower section - 0.9kg
    Centre Console Armrest - 1.7kg
    Front Door Sill Plastics - 0.5kg
    Front Seats - 25.6kg each
    Front Sun Visors - 0.35kg each
    Rear Seat Backs - 20.8kg
    Rear Seat Bench - 5.3kg
    Rear Seat Carpet 1.6kg
    Rear Door Cards and Corner Trim - 5.5kg
    Spare Wheel - 11.8kg
    Boot Interior - 12.2kg
    Boot Soundproofing - 6.3kg
    Boot Tools incl Jack - 2.7kg
    Rear Washer Bottle - 0.2kg
    Rear Seatbelt Tensioners - 2kg
    Rear Speakers - 2.3kg
    Bolts and Clips - 1.2kg
    Roof Lining - 1.9kg
    Roof Insulation - 1kg
    Oh Shit Handles - 0.1kg for all 3
    Front Seat Belt Panels - 0.4kg x2
    Roof Screw/Fittings - 0.1kg
    Rear Wiper & Motor - 1.5kg

Total so far 151.1kg removed. I'll be fitting two bucket seats on rails so that'll probably be about 20kg back in at some point!

Here's what it looks like so far inside(taken before roof lining removed)...

I'd like retain a few things like heaters, AC if possible, maybe the stereo and some of the dash for switches etc. Long term I'm thinking about running FRP front and rear overfenders to be able to run wider tyres, as a 235/40/17 currently scrubs on a rear E39 9J et20 wheel. So hoping I can replace front wings with wider FRP ones and cut a section out of the rear wings for FRP overfenders, also possibly an FRP bonnet.

I guess what I'm wondering is what else can be removed or could be safely cut out, like inner boot skin etc to save more weight. I'll also look into battery options but not sure I'll be able to go for a fully lightweight battery if I'm still running most electrical stuff.

Thanks in advance
    Rob

My Cars
    01 330Ci
    You can swap out the factory battery for an Optima, if available in the UK, and it'll still run your electrics and be roughly half the weight. Also, immediately aft of your seatbelts you can take out the sheetmetal pieces that are sort of bowl-shaped. Those should just be attached by screws. They don't weigh much, but every little bit helps.

EDIT: If you're intent on keeping the stereo you could ditch all the BMW gear in the rear and put in a smaller, lighter aftermarket amp to run your speakers. Should free up some space and, in theory, should be a bit lighter, although I don't know what the exact weight savings would be.
    Last edited by Matt330LS; 11-05-2020 at 07:52 AM.

My Cars
    E39 528i, E46 325ti
    Thanks very much, I'll take a look into the battery. I weighed the stock one and it was 17.7kg!
    Ok great, I'll take a look at those sheetmetal pieces as well.

For the stereo I was thinking about removing the CD changer and just fitting a single din stereo with CD player. Tbh I'll have to see what it's like when I actually drive it, as if I can't hear anything with all the road noise etc, I'll just remove all of the stereo stuff.
    I'm not sure if the compact has anything else in the rear other than the CD changer and two rear speakers. I'd seen people comment before on amps behind the seats but none of that is there in the compact!

What about the front and rear bumper supports/braces(whatever they're called). Would it be safe to remove some material from them with a hole saw. I'm guessing they're thick and heavy. Or maybe replace them with a bash bar like you see on drift cars, if that would be lighter!

My Cars
    01 330Ci
    Can't speak knowledgeably about lightening the bumper supports. I left mine as-is. However, if you're trying to keep your car road legal you might want to make sure what your laws will allow before you go with a bash bar or modified crash impact structures.

My Cars
    2005 ZHP
    It's not cheap, but I recently put an antigravity ATX-30 in my daily driver and it's been working great. Weighs 2.6 kg.

You could probably get away with a cheaper/lighter model too.

My Cars
    E39 528i, E46 325ti
    Thanks very much both. On the lightweight batteries, have you had any issues with them powering all the usual components like lights, heaters, fans etc? Also are you having to charge them regularly out of the car or do they cope with just the usual in-car charging?
    I was looking at some yesterday and even a 7kg battery would save me 10kg over what I have now!

My Cars
    2005 ZHP
    I've only had the battery installed for a few weeks, but my car is full dd and I haven't had any issues. Sitting for a few days, leaving it on battery for half an hour to run codes, short trips with restarts, etc. The batteries that came in the e46 were enough to crank it repeatedly in near arctic conditions. We can get by with a lot less.

My Cars
    E39 528i, E46 325ti
    That sounds positive, thanks very much.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I've run my 93 325is on a self assembled 1.4kg LiFePo battery pack for 8 years. It copes just fine with running the electric things in the car. It has a reserve capacity of 9.2ah, but is fast charging and works very well with the alternator in the car. Mine has no charge/discharge protection, so I have to be careful with leaving lights on, doors not closed tight, etc... And since the battery is so small, I mounted it in the engine bay and eliminated the 2.5 meter run of cable from the trunk area to the engine bay. So my net savings was near 20kg.

My Cars
    E39 528i, E46 325ti
    Thanks very much, think I definitely need a lightweight battery then, even if I just use it for track days, as the car sits unused quite often. That's a crazy weight saving over the current battery!

One other question, are they safe to jump start as well, so if it does run flat, it wouldn't cause any issues jumping it off a normal battery?
    Last edited by MrMuddle; 11-11-2020 at 05:33 AM.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    You've got to be careful slamming a small LiFePO4 battery with tons of charging current when it's completely dead, but if it's just done a few times in its life it should be fine if it's not super cold.

I killed a LiFePO4 batt that was around 8.4 Ahr when I drained it down cranking my engine when it was about -3 to -5 C. The battery was super cold soaked, and it got hit with full alternator amps for a long period of time and it swelled up a bit and I think killed a cell or two in the pack. It wouldn't start the engine up at all after that. This is why EVs have thermal management systems and clever programming to make sure they don't slam a battery with tons of charging current when cold/hot etc.

But in general, they're pretty robust, and will last longer than a lead acid battery if you don't abuse them.

My Cars
    2005 ZHP
    ^ that's good info there thanks for sharing

I had read that in cold conditions, you actually want to turn the ignition to on and burn the headlights or something for a bit to warm up the lifepo4 battery before you try to start

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by AvusMPower View Post
    ^ that's good info there thanks for sharing

I had read that in cold conditions, you actually want to turn the ignition to on and burn the headlights or something for a bit to warm up the lifepo4 battery before you try to start
    It does help the battery provide more current, and does keep it from that failure mode to some degree. But there's just not going to be that much heat being generated pulling starting current for a brief bit from the batt or running the head lights for a while.

In my case, I think trying to start the really cold car a few times on an already weak battery drained it down. Then when it finally did catch it get slammed with amps and was still fairly cold.

The next iteration I used an even smaller LiFePO4 battery protected by a resistor (0.5-1 ohm or something like that?) with an ultracapacitor bank to do most the starting. It worked well on a warm engine, but still struggled on a cold engine and was kinda slow to recharge the cap bank (~10 seconds or so to get to ~12.5 V). Deleting the charging resistor would make it work much better, but would expose the battery to more charging amps when low.

If I were redoing it, I'd get some big capacity LiFePO4 cells and use no charging resistor. Something like 20 Ahr is fine to let it see full alternator charging at idle IMO on occasion.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I'm using an AntiGravity AT12BSHD, and the car starts fine when temps are in the upper 20's. (Track car only, so I don't see starting it when below that.)