Thread: 2008 Z4 Transmission Question

My Cars
    2008 BMW Z4 rdstr

2008 Z4 Transmission Question

1 month new to BMW Z4 ownership. While in Drive, I gently start off to what seems like a noticeable downshift followed quickly with an upshift. Rest of acceleration seems fairly smooth. Deceleration seems normal enough until almost stopped when I detect a 'clunk' of a downshift. I realize I'm sitting beside of the differential so might be nothing but normal operation. Just wanted to get opinion of more experienced folks on here.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to Z4 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    01 Z3 3.0i, 08 Z4 3.0si

Search info on ZF 6HP-19A trannny.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkerone View Post
    1 month new to BMW Z4 ownership. While in Drive, I gently start off to what seems like a noticeable downshift followed quickly with an upshift. Rest of acceleration seems fairly smooth. Deceleration seems normal enough until almost stopped when I detect a 'clunk' of a downshift. I realize I'm sitting beside of the differential so might be nothing but normal operation. Just wanted to get opinion of more experienced folks on here.
    After about 60K miles, the mechatronics seals begin to leak. 1st indication is a 2-1 bump, felt especially while making a quick stop. It feels like the trunk is full of water, sloshing forward. Another indicator is a hard upshift from 1st to 2nd from a slow roll to quick acceleration. The fix is replace the seals between the transmission body and the mechatronics. Get a complete kit @ FCP Euro for about $325. Use TIS for DIY instructions. Because you can't easily access the electrical connector for the mechatronics, you have to drop the exhaust and rear tranny cross brace.
    Good luck!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would also check transmission adaptation numbers with say an auto logic + or - up to 300 is within spec

My Cars
    2008 BMW Z4 rdstr
    Thanks, very helpful. This sounds like exactly what I'm experiencing. Found the FCP Euro site and kit you refer too. Going to talk to shop tomorrow about getting it done. I appreciate your help.

11/17 - Ordered the kit from FCP Euro. Hope it includes everything I'll need. (nearing the end of this restoration project - Do they still have Debters Prisions?)
    Last edited by hawkerone; 11-17-2020 at 07:40 PM.

My Cars
    2008 BMW Z4 rdstr
    Kit should arrive today. What is TIS instructions and where do I find it ? I'm having it done by a good shop so they probably know everything about it but I like to hand them the complete package including instructions so no missed steps. I'm feeling confident this is the answer to the problem. Thanks for the help.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    BMWTIS.com You will need to pay for access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2008 BMW Z4 rdstr
    Follow-up om transmission problem. Did the transmission filter change as suggested above. That didn't fi it. Next I took it to transmission shop where they changed the filter and fluid again. That still didn't help, so they wanted me to install a remanufactured tranny. I balked and had them reluctantly replace the solenoids. This seemed to fix most of it. I then had the driveshaft center bearing and coupler replaced and this seemed to take care of the problems finally. A lotta $$$ expended. Not sure if I had it to do over from the start I wouldn't have been better off just replacing the tranny,, but it is what it is.

My Cars
    08 Z4 3.0i Roadster
    My Z4 2008 (82k mi) when purchased. had the balky downshift 2-1 and it would howl around 4000rpm on upshifts occasionally. Diagnostics had a code for one solenoid that reset and stayed clear. My mechanic did the filter & flush, the seals, and all six solenoids (my choice not his). Tranny is like butter, no howl, no bad shifts, and no 2-1 bump. My guy was actually surprised that hard seals caused so much trouble.